The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Compressor Help? Wicked Noob!
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

Compressor Help? Wicked Noob!

Hi Gang,

I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction and-or keep me from wasting money on gear that won't work for my application. Compared to most folks here I'm a noob to some degree. Anyway here is my senario.

Home studio w/ a Roland VS-2480. I want to get a hardware compressor for fattening the mix as I make a master on an Alesis Masterlink 9600. I was thinking on getting an Avalon 747 for the tube & SS signal paths. I record a lot of fusion style quick and busy acoustic drums. I was wondering if this compressor is a good choice for running an enire mix through?

Thanks for any information!

I have used the search function too. Came up with some info but looking for more. Thanks-

Last edited by tuvokzeta9; 18th November 2009 at 01:01 AM.. Reason: Guidelines
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
I think for your applications you'd most likely be better off with an API 2500 than the Avalon.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post
I think for your applications you'd most likely be better off with an API 2500 than the Avalon.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Thanks for the input Steve. I saw the API in the last Sweetwater catalog. It is really nice. I was kinda sold on the tube and SS versatility of the Avalon but the quickness of the API seems to be strong point.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
I'd go along with that ^

The most likely I'd sell my Avalon for would be the API. It's only a matter of time

747 has some tricks up its sleeve though. That compressor is better than people make out. You can use it to gently focus on a lacking area of the spectrum and it just brings it out a little bit, in an immensely pleasant way. Needle moving a hair's breadth. The sound of the compressor itself is classy, the make up gain amp is very often in the path here. Need better tubes though now, I've had enough. Good but not good enough, the stock.

I'm going to end up with both, aren't I
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
I'd go along with that ^

The most likely I'd sell my Avalon for would be the API. It's only a matter of time

747 has some tricks up its sleeve though. That compressor is better than people make out. You can use it to gently focus on a lacking area of the spectrum and it just brings it out a little bit, in an immensely pleasant way. Needle moving a hair's breadth. The sound of the compressor itself is classy, the make up gain amp is very often in the path here. Need better tubes though now, I've had enough. Good but not good enough, the stock.

I'm going to end up with both, aren't I
Most gearheads wind up owning most of everything audio related. I am trying to get enough cash together to buy a pro compressor. The new Vintech 609CA looks pretty bitchin too... but it is 3k...
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuvokzeta9 View Post
Hi Gang,

I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction and-or keep me from wasting money on gear that won't work for my application. Compared to most folks here I'm a noob to some degree. Anyway here is my senario.

Home studio w/ a Roland VS-2480. I want to get a hardware compressor for fattening the mix as I make a master on an Alesis Masterlink 9600. I was thinking on getting an Avalon 747 for the tube & SS signal paths. I record a lot of fusion style quick and busy acoustic drums. I was wondering if this compressor is a good choice for running an enire mix through?

Thanks for any information!

I have used the search function too. Came up with some info but looking for more. Thanks-
I like the avalon 737sp better as a channel strip for mixing (mmm I love tubes), its only a single channel but I like it way more than the 747 (the 747 eq is shit). The 737's are perfect for tracking and mixing. There are many good compressors (some decent new ones out) in this price range. Tube techs sound nice but a little more pricey. UA 1176, LA2a, LA3a or emperical labs distressor (EL is basically a modded 1176) are real nice on your mix for various sounds. If I had to choose a workhorse compressor I'd pick the 1176 or distressor. They work great on just about everything for mixing if you know what you're doing.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterizer View Post
I like the avalon 737sp better as a channel strip for mixing (mmm I love tubes), its only a single channel but I like it way more than the 747 (the 747 eq is shit). The 737's are perfect for tracking and mixing. There are many good compressors (some decent new ones out) in this price range. Tube techs sound nice but a little more pricey. UA 1176, LA2a, LA3a or emperical labs distressor (EL is basically a modded 1176) are real nice on your mix for various sounds. If I had to choose a workhorse compressor I'd pick the 1176 or distressor. They work great on just about everything for mixing if you know what you're doing.
He's looking for something to use across the mix.
He'd need 2 1176s or Distressors.

I can vouch for the 2500 here, and also the Dramwer 1968 ME
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuvokzeta9 View Post
Thanks for the input Steve. I saw the API in the last Sweetwater catalog. It is really nice. I was kinda sold on the tube and SS versatility of the Avalon but the quickness of the API seems to be strong point.
The versatility many people in their mind ascribe to having different solid state and tube paths in a single box in reality sometimes are less than having a compressor that can actually work well with a wide variety of program types. Also - a lot of the mojo some folks believe comes from tubes is actually coming from a different "t" - transformers.

I think for things like fusion you're just going to get less obvious compression artifacts but more "analog" sound with the API. The 747 does have the advantage of giving you a basic 6-band fixed frequency and fixed Q eq - but I think just saving for a bit more and getting a separate parametric eq will ultimately fulfill your needs more.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear