The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How To Isolate Center Image
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Addict

How To Isolate Center Image

Hi there
I have done tons of searches on here and google, but can't seem to find what I imagine is so easy and quick, it hasn't needed to be answered before. Or maybe i don't have the search terms right.So forgive My lame question , but
I have a recording where the drums and bass are panned hard left, vocals In the center and horns panned hard right.
With MS trickery or what have you, Is there a way for me to isolate the center (Imaginary) Channel only? I just wanna hear the vocal. I have the waves S1 etc plugs.
thanks For your help.
Old 16th November 2009
pmx
Gear Addict

Verified Member
download a m/s codec (massey, sonalksis, ...?) and mute the side channel. et voila!
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
On a console or a DAW you can also just usually press (or click) the "Mono" button to hear the "Mid" (aka "sum" or "center") channel.

Of course this most likely will not perfectly isolate the vocal, as you will most likely still have some of the instruments present in the Mid channel . There's a number of plugins that purport to be able to isolate vocals via various algorithms - such as the VST by Clone Ensemble called Voice Trap - Voice Trap Plug-in

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I've never tried this, but it seems interesting.

Trifield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DC
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Addict

Great! Thanks For the help
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post
On a console or a DAW you can also just usually press (or click) the "Mono" button to hear the "Mid" (aka "sum" or "center") channel.
WHAT!?!?
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
WHAT!?!?
Mid = L + R
Side = L - R

The "Mid" channel is the sum of the Left and Right channel.
The "Side" channel is the combination of the Left channel with the Right channel polarity inverted.

And yes - the function of all the "mono" buttons on consoles or DAW's that I'm aware of is to in fact sum Left and Right channels. Some of them have a 6dB attenuator built in as well to prevent overloads.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Mid = L + R
Side = L - R

The "Mid" channel is the sum of the Left and Right channel.
The "Side" channel is the combination of the Left channel with the Right channel polarity inverted.

And yes - the function of all the "mono" buttons on consoles or DAW's that I'm aware of is to in fact sum Left and Right channels. Some of them have a 6dB attenuator built in as well to prevent overloads.
If the question is how to get just the center information, you need something like the Triifeld system. M/S is not the same at all.........

DC
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Here are a few more free M/S plugins where you can solo the mid (center) easily or (in Voxongo's plug) adjust mid/side signals individually:
Voxengos free MSED plugin
Brainworx bx_solo.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins View Post
If the question is how to get just the center information, you need something like the Triifeld system. M/S is not the same at all.........

DC
OK - mea culpa - my semantics on the use of the word "center" is wrong here - as they are not wanting Mid - but instead Mid minus any information that is panned -
which is why I suggested using a "isolator" - such as the VST cheapie I linked to (for which the posted samples now that I've listened to them admittedly don't sound that amazing).

Found a link to another solution at Elevayta - Extra Boy Pro as well.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 17th November 2009

Verified Member
I'm consulting for a DSP company with a tool that will do it, and do it surprisingly well. It also handles stereo to 5.1, 7.1, and even 9.1. Unfortunately, it is not publicly available yet, and as I'm under NDA, I have to stay a little vague (but you could search audio upmix patents granted in the past year and probably figure it out). Hopefully I can post more info soon. They have told me recently, however, that I can start freely using it in sessions, so I could process this for you if you like. If interested, contact offline and we can work it out.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Hey Thanks For all the help. The Voxengo plug worked fine for what i needed to do, SO thanks ALot!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK - mea culpa - my semantics on the use of the word "center" is wrong here
I can stop scratching my head now......
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear