The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waveburner 1.5.2 not able to burn via firewire
Old 16th November 2009
Here for the gear

Waveburner 1.5.2 not able to burn via firewire

Hello,

I recently bought a plextor premium II writer in order to get high quality premasters (by the way, many thanks to thor sonovo for his help). Since I'm a mac user, I had to put this into a snowline firewire/USB2 enclosure. Unfortunately, I'm not able to burn my project in waveburner via firewire! It works fine via usb, but I often read on this forum that firewire is better in this case, which is why I bought this enclosure... I'm on snow leopard /Logic 8/ waveburner 1.5.2. Could this be the reason why waveburner can't burn via fw (I mean, would it work with waveburner 1.6??)?? I have no clue. The strange thing is, the mac recognizes the writer as a firewire connected device, and waveburner too...So if someone could help me, it would be very nice...
Cheers,
Max
Old 16th November 2009
Audio Alchemist

Just about to do the exact same thing, so I'm very interested in any info here.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxkick View Post
Hello,

I recently bought a plextor premium II writer in order to get high quality premasters (by the way, many thanks to thor sonovo for his help). Since I'm a mac user, I had to put this into a snowline firewire/USB2 enclosure. Unfortunately, I'm not able to burn my project in waveburner via firewire! It works fine via usb, but I often read on this forum that firewire is better in this case, which is why I bought this enclosure... I'm on snow leopard /Logic 8/ waveburner 1.5.2. Could this be the reason why waveburner can't burn via fw (I mean, would it work with waveburner 1.6??)?? I have no clue. The strange thing is, the mac recognizes the writer as a firewire connected device, and waveburner too...So if someone could help me, it would be very nice...
We use WB 1.6.1 on a Mac Pro with a Plextor 716 via firewire everyday, no problems.

Is your firewire working with other burning apps like Toast, or even "Burn from the Finder"?

Maybe it's an enclosure issue.

JT
Old 17th November 2009
Here for the gear

Hello,

Thanks for replying...well, I thought it was an enclosure issue too, that's why I asked the macpower company for some help...They told me it must be a firmware issue and gave me the latest firmware update for this enclosure. After updating the firmware, the mac could finally recognize both (the enclosure and the plextor premium II writer) as firewire connected devices...in fact, it works when I bounce my project as a "waveburner project" to my desktop, and then burn it...But the problem is, I cannot burn the project directly from waveburner. That's why I thought: the problem must be waveburner (again: 1.5.2 version with snowleopard 1.6.2)...So now, I think I'm going to burn the project on a cd, re-emport the project in an older macpro, and then open it with waveburner in order to burn it via firewire. I Love computers...I hope it works...By the way, after looking for some help on different forums, I think the "firewire issue thanks to snow leopard family" is growing bigger and bigger...here's a link to see what I mean:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Firewire issues after Snow Leopard... ...

Cheers,
Max
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Aha! SL (snow leopard) is the culprit.

We're still on OS X Leopard 10.5.8 here.

I usually hang back a few months on a new OS X rev to let 'em work out the kinks.

JT
Old 22nd November 2009
Here for the gear

Hello,

I finally could burn the premaster via firewire...using an old G5 with a previous Leopard/Waveburner version...So I had to copy my files and than re-import them in the G5. It worked fine. But after listening to the result, I was pretty disappointed....Call me crazy, but actually, the same tracks sounded better when I burnt them via USB2 (using a plextor PII in an enclosure)...I must be wrong, but maybe the "export/re-import" process damaged the audio files...

Anyway, I sent an email to the plextor tech support...here's the answer:

"Although this is outside the scope of our support, owning a Mac myself I have had a further look at this issue.
Opinions may differ on this but it would indeed seem to be a problem with Snow Leopard's firewire kernel extension.
Please see this thread on apple.com for further information:
Apple - Support - Discussions - Problems with external dvd burner ...

This even mentions a workaround but be very careful when trying that on a production machine."

I hope it could help someone....

By the way...another waveburner question. I think I read somewhere about this on this forum, but I'm not sure. So: why is waveburner "re-bouncing" the project before the burning process??? I may be wrong, but someone out there explained it should be avoided. Could someone please tell me why and how I can disable this rebouncing (tried everything in the preferences, etc...)

Thanks for your help,
M
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Hello,

I finally could burn the premaster via firewire...using an old G5 with a previous Leopard/Waveburner version...So I had to copy my files and than re-import them in the G5. It worked fine. But after listening to the result, I was pretty disappointed....Call me crazy, but actually, the same tracks sounded better when I burnt them via USB2 (using a plextor PII in an enclosure)...I must be wrong, but maybe the "export/re-import" process damaged the audio files...

Anyway, I sent an email to the plextor tech support...here's the answer:

"Although this is outside the scope of our support, owning a Mac myself I have had a further look at this issue.
Opinions may differ on this but it would indeed seem to be a problem with Snow Leopard's firewire kernel extension.
Please see this thread on apple.com for further information:
Apple - Support - Discussions - Problems with external dvd burner ...

This even mentions a workaround but be very careful when trying that on a production machine."

I hope it could help someone....

By the way...another waveburner question. I think I read somewhere about this on this forum, but I'm not sure. So: why is waveburner "re-bouncing" the project before the burning process??? I may be wrong, but someone out there explained it should be avoided. Could someone please tell me why and how I can disable this rebouncing (tried everything in the preferences, etc...)

Thanks for your help,
M
With these sort of problems, a null test is the first thing I would try if I suspect that something that should be the same seems different. Although I really trust my ears, I would NEVER trust my ears in cases where something might be causing subtle degradation of the sound. If the file should be exactly the same, the null test will tell you one way or the other.
Old 23rd November 2009
Audio Alchemist

Quote:

Thanks for your help,
M
If you set your preferences correct, my guess is that you're making WB bounce due to overlapping regions. Examine the areas where to regions are right next to each other and move them 1 tick more apart. I'm assuming you're not using fades since that would make it bounce.
Old 24th November 2009
Here for the gear

Hello Holger,

Thanks for replying!
In the bounce preferences, I've just turned off the dithering. "replace the region..." and "clipping detection..." are checked...(By the way, If anyone could explain what "replace the region with the bounce" actually means, it would be nice)...
But you're right Holger, I did some crossfades. Since the 10 songs are supposed to be "one big song", I had to put some fades...
Anyway, my question is, will this "rebouncing" affect the integrity of the files/sound???...if yes, then I'm wondering what I can do with this "professionnal" software: correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of WB pros here refer to the issues when editing in WB, when Bouncing files (the "bit bug" right?), etc...So now, after reading all these posts, it seems that the best thing WB can do is : just importing files and burn them?
But like I said in my last post, someone else on this forum told something about this "rebouncing" and how to avoid it...just couldn't find the post again. So if anyone has a trick to avoid it (again: if it affects the files! If not, then I don't care), please tell me...

Best regards,
Max

PS: still waiting for apple"s " firewire bug under SL" fix
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
WB 1.6 fixes the "bit bug".

WB 1.6.1 fixes the "save mastering notes" bug.

iirc plug-in bugs are abounding, tho' I haven't used/or tested that part.

Quote:
(By the way, If anyone could explain what "replace the region with the bounce" actually means, it would be nice)
Simpler to do than explain.

When you make adjustments to a Region in WB like trim or fade, and select Bounce Region from the File menu, the original region is replaced with a new "hard copy" bounce in the session.

If you un-check the "replace the region with the bounce" in preferences, the region is still bounced/exported to a hard copy, but it doesn't replace the original region in the session.

Surely that's in the users' guide?

That's it.

JT
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'm just starting to like Waveburner now that the little bugs are fixed.
can somebody explain or verify the rebounce problem and any solutions?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear