The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for Pro Sound...
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Looking for Pro Sound...

Hi All, I'm new to this site. Just looking for some advice or maybe even feedback regarding mastering.

I currently have a Hip Hop album I've completed producing/mixing. I'm debating between the do it yourself route or hiring a pro.

As far as going out of Network, my options are. Universal(via Tunecore), Sterling (aftter hours) or The Vault(referred virally). All of which are in NYC.

My only issue is the budget. All 3 places are between $800 to $1600 USD. For a 16 track album. Which is fine but you really have no say so on whos going to be the guy on the boards without paying an additional $400-$600... With that said, do I trust that it will be in the hands of a engineer that is capable of doing my genre well?

Now as far as a do it yourself so to speak. I have roughly 10 years of mixing under my belt and doing rough masters for clients and my self alike.

To me, my masters just dont sound "pro". I usually pull in a wave of a song I like the sound of and try to match the mastering/mix. But it just doesnt have that air on it. I know I definetly do not have a mastering set up. But in the end it is art and there is no correct way of doing any one thing.

Quick example of what I do, personal technique... All Plug Ins
Waves C4 to mold my 0-500k - really get the overall sound I like
SSL Compression - very subtle
Pultec EQ - Either one in the higher range of the vox or a overall mid tune up.
Waves L2/Maxim/Sony Inflator - Bring the final level where I want it. *note not all 3 lol whatever the project calls for if needed.

I use AlesisM1 MKII neaand Mackie HR8s'

IDK any advice will help!

Thanks for taking the time to read through this!
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by db0007 View Post

I currently have a Hip Hop album I've completed producing/mixing. I'm debating between the do it yourself route or hiring a pro.

To me, my masters just dont sound "pro".
if your mix sound "pro" then hire a pro for mastering, if it doesn't sound pro mastering is not your solution.

regards

faust
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kundevelop View Post
if your mix sound "pro" then hire a pro for mastering, if it doesn't sound pro mastering is not your solution.

regards

faust
Yup, agree. Tho what do you feel about just passing the mixes off to be mastered without really knowing who is going to be the engineer... ?
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have roughly 10 years of mixing under my belt and doing rough masters for clients and my self alike.
That's 10 years of professional mixing, right? Surely one of your clients has had material mastered that you had mixed; maybe you can look for some other options that way.

To be honest, though, you'll likely have much better results hiring someone with more experience to mix the stuff. As someone said above, if your mixes don't sound "pro", all the mastering in the world isn't gonna fix that. Unfortunately, you may have a hard time finding someone within your budget to do 16 songs, but you never know. Times are tough out there, and there are deals to be had!

In any event, good luck
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
That's 10 years of professional mixing, right? Surely one of your clients has had material mastered that you had mixed; maybe you can look for some other options that way.

To be honest, though, you'll likely have much better results hiring someone with more experience to mix the stuff. As someone said above, if your mixes don't sound "pro", all the mastering in the world isn't gonna fix that. Unfortunately, you may have a hard time finding someone within your budget to do 16 songs, but you never know. Times are tough out there, and there are deals to be had!

In any event, good luck
Thanks man, yes, most of my clients that do albums have mastered elsewhere. Although 90% of my business is Hip Hop, I do a decent master for a lot of the independent guys. More than 80% of the material is usually for the mix tape scene as well as internet leaks. With that said if the music is for free they don't normally invest in mastering.

However, with my project, my mixes sound great, they are right where I need them to be. My whole thing is handing it over to a "Pro" company and getting a shit master done. When I can pretty much do it my self...

Either way smh. Once again thanks for the feedback.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi All, I'm new to this site. Just looking for some advice or maybe even feedback regarding mastering.

As far as going out of Network, my options are. Universal(via Tunecore), Sterling (aftter hours) or The Vault(referred virally). All of which are in NYC.

My only issue is the budget. All 3 places are between $800 to $1600 USD. For a 16 track album. Which is fine but you really have no say so on whos going to be the guy on the boards without paying an additional $400-$600... With that said, do I trust that it will be in the hands of a engineer that is capable of doing my genre well?

Now as far as a do it yourself so to speak. I have roughly 10 years of mixing under my belt and doing rough masters for clients and my self alike.

To me, my masters just dont sound "pro". I usually pull in a wave of a song I like the sound of and try to match the mastering/mix. But it just doesnt have that air on it. I know I definetly do not have a mastering set up. But in the end it is art and there is no correct way of doing any one thing.

Quick example of what I do, personal technique... All Plug Ins
Waves C4 to mold my 0-500k - really get the overall sound I like
SSL Compression - very subtle
Pultec EQ - Either one in the higher range of the vox or a overall mid tune up.
Waves L2/Maxim/Sony Inflator - Bring the final level where I want it. *note not all 3 lol whatever the project calls for if needed.

I use AlesisM1 MKII neaand Mackie HR8s'

IDK any advice will help!

Thanks for taking the time to read through this!
I would suggest not trying to "mold" anything and make a better mix, Try and mix so that gain is the only thing needed in mastering. Also limiters are great for making a shit master, keep it to 1db or less of limiting.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear