The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Parallel compression and Wavelab Montage
Old 12th November 2009
  #1
Parallel compression and Wavelab Montage

i am looking for tips and techniques for implementing parallel compression in Wavelab 6 Montage.

i have tried various things but haven't found anything that i am completely satisfied with.

My typical starting point is to have all the songs for a CD in order on one stereo track and apply plug ins individually to each song (each song is a clip).
Old 12th November 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
scraggs's Avatar
open another stereo track, copy the clips to there and put the compressor on the copied clips only (or the track as a whole). make sure the latency is cool and you're good to go. just blend that back in with the original track.
Old 13th November 2009
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
open another stereo track, copy the clips to there and put the compressor on the copied clips only (or the track as a whole). make sure the latency is cool and you're good to go. just blend that back in with the original track.
1+
Old 13th November 2009
  #4
Gear Nut
 
Peter H. Boer's Avatar
Place the compressor in the effectschain for the clip.
Check parallel processing, fade in the processed sound as required.

I'm not at my daw, so you might need to adjust bufferize to Wavelabs default 2048 (might also be plugin depending, I'm not sure)
Old 13th November 2009
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
open another stereo track, copy the clips to there and put the compressor on the copied clips only (or the track as a whole). make sure the latency is cool and you're good to go. just blend that back in with the original track.
thanks for the suggestion.
the problem with this method is that it mixes the output of the compressor with the output of the original track after all plug in processing has been applied to the original track. sometimes that may be fine, but if you have, for example, a limiter as the last plug in in the chain, the parallel comp's output then comes "after" the limiter.

so, what i am looking for is a way to include the parallel comp in the chain.
Old 13th November 2009
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter H. Boer View Post
Place the compressor in the effectschain for the clip.
Check parallel processing, fade in the processed sound as required.
i am not sure i understand this suggestion. "check parallel processing" where?
Old 13th November 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
scraggs's Avatar
yeah, i've used wavelab forever and don't remember seeing any 'check parallel processing' option. could be wrong though. be nice if i was!

wildplum, what you could do is have the final limiter as an insert on the master section (rather than on the clip itself), this way the sum of your original track plus parallel comp will go to the limiter (and whatever else you have on the master).
Old 14th November 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Greg Reierson's Avatar
 

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum View Post
thanks for the suggestion.
the problem with this method is that it mixes the output of the compressor with the output of the original track after all plug in processing has been applied to the original track. sometimes that may be fine, but if you have, for example, a limiter as the last plug in in the chain, the parallel comp's output then comes "after" the limiter.
Why not put the limiter on the master bus?


GR
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump