The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waveburner DDP's - With and Without CD-TEXT?
Old 12th November 2009
  #1
Gear Head
 

Waveburner DDP's - With and Without CD-TEXT?

Hello all!
We're using the newest version of waveburner, which puts us on new ground with DDP images. Because of my inexperience using and identifying parts of a DDP image, I have a bit of a newbie question for everyone:

Thus far, all of the DDP images I've made have included CD-Text for replication. In the saved DDP folder, there's a CDTEXT.bin with all the necessary info. Today, I wanted to make a DDP without text and after I exported the image (with CD-Text turned off in the 'Burn' preferences), the CDTEXT.bin still shows up. Is this something I need to delete before burning the image in Toast or is is the DDP image modified somewhere to show the replicator I do NOT want text encoded? I can't seem to find any differences in the two images. Is there a standard practice or is this different from program to program? Thanks!

Gunofason
Old 12th November 2009
  #2
Gear Head
 
OnlineMastering's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunofason View Post
Hello all!
We're using the newest version of waveburner, which puts us on new ground with DDP images. Because of my inexperience using and identifying parts of a DDP image, I have a bit of a newbie question for everyone:

Thus far, all of the DDP images I've made have included CD-Text for replication. In the saved DDP folder, there's a CDTEXT.bin with all the necessary info. Today, I wanted to make a DDP without text and after I exported the image (with CD-Text turned off in the 'Burn' preferences), the CDTEXT.bin still shows up. Is this something I need to delete before burning the image in Toast or is is the DDP image modified somewhere to show the replicator I do NOT want text encoded? I can't seem to find any differences in the two images. Is there a standard practice or is this different from program to program? Thanks!

Gunofason
That you turn off CD-Text in the Burn-preferences has nothing to do with the DDP being made. It just means that CD's burnt won't have any CD-Text.

To avoid CD-Text on the DDP-image simply don't fill inn any information in the CD-Text boxes on the left side, then create the DDP.
Old 12th November 2009
  #3
Audio Alchemist
 
Lagerfeldt's Avatar
Let me add, that many plants strip CD-Text unless you specifically tell them to include it. Or they will require CD-Text separately on a disc.

This is done to avoid random/nonsense characters in the CD-Text fields by mistake.
Old 12th November 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Table Of Tone's Avatar
 

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
I only add CD text if I'm asked for it.

As long as the ISRC's and UPC are there, jobs a goodn!
Old 12th November 2009
  #5
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Let me add, that many plants strip CD-Text unless you specifically tell them to include it. Or they will require CD-Text separately on a disc.

This is done to avoid random/nonsense characters in the CD-Text fields by mistake.
This is exact...

Leave all blank and the replication plant will disable automatically the CD-Text

Marco
Old 12th November 2009
  #6
Gear Head
 
OnlineMastering's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Of Tone View Post
I only add CD text if I'm asked for it.

As long as the ISRC's and UPC are there, jobs a goodn!
I always add it...
But it's gotta be done right, I know, here in Norway we use a lot of "Æ, Ø, Å" and they will not show up in your car. It will probably never be fixed.

Nåde = Naade, Kjærlighet = Kjaerlighet etc etc

Anyway, with Waveburner you do have to input all CD-Text manually, so as long as you stay away from illegal letters/symbols it will be fine.
Old 13th November 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Sounds to me like we need to start taking names, i.e. "This replicator can deal and this other one can't." And that will light a fire under the replicators and their software vendors (Eclipse?) and get CD-Text and DDP etc. all worked out.

I should note that Waveburner 1.6.1 has a fix for UPC/ISRC codes in DDP, be sure to update. I have no experience of my own sending DDP's from it yet.
Old 13th November 2009
  #8
Gear Head
 

Thanks everyone! That makes sense - I'm so used to the old layout in Waveburner 1.5 where there's only one place to add text for track names. On the new version, It looks like I have to manually delete the "Auto Filled-In" text if I don't want it on the disc. Regardless, my masters and paperwork is really well labeled, so I'm sure that helps the replicator too.
Old 5th December 2009
  #9
Gear Addict
 
brethes's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Is anyone successfully using WaveBurner to produce DDPs? There seems to be a bug that produces a corrupt CDTEXT.BIN file each time, whether or not CD-Text info is actually entered. Both the Sonoris DDP player (superb application, soon to be released for Mac!) as well! and the Eclipse software fails the generated DDP on the basis of invalid CD-Text checksum, and once the DDP image is loaded, some of the CD-Text entries show as missing. Wave Editor loads back the DDP correctly, but failing the ECLIPSE test means that most pressing plants will reject the DDP unless told specifically to strip all the CD-Text info.
Old 5th December 2009
  #10
Gear Head
 
Luna Sound's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Is anyone successfully using WaveBurner to produce DDPs? There seems to be a bug that produces a corrupt CDTEXT.BIN file each time, whether or not CD-Text info is actually entered. Both the Sonoris DDP player (superb application, soon to be released for Mac!) as well! and the Eclipse software fails the generated DDP on the basis of invalid CD-Text checksum, and once the DDP image is loaded, some of the CD-Text entries show as missing. Wave Editor loads back the DDP correctly, but failing the ECLIPSE test means that most pressing plants will reject the DDP unless told specifically to strip all the CD-Text info.
I've used it successfully on a couple of projects... well sort of. Having created the DDP in WB I then imported into Wave Editor and removed all the dubious CD-Text. Without making any other changes I then Exported a new DDP from WE. This has worked for me on the occasions I've tried it and it's not difficult to do. WB is nearly very good now but it's still annoying to have to use work arounds like this.
Old 5th December 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Jerry Tubb's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sound View Post
I've used it successfully on a couple of projects... well sort of. Having created the DDP in WB I then imported into Wave Editor and removed all the dubious CD-Text. Without making any other changes I then Exported a new DDP from WE. This has worked for me on the occasions I've tried it and it's not difficult to do. WB is nearly very good now but it's still annoying to have to use work arounds like this.
Hey Luke & brethes

Perhaps you could examine the before and after CD-TEXT.BIN, see what corrections need to be made, and use a text editor like BBEdit to fix it.

Anyone tried this or a similar approach? It's gotta be a really simple fix.

On my list of things to do that I can't get around to : - )

Cheers - JT
Old 7th December 2009
  #12
Gear Addict
 
brethes's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
Hey Luke & brethes

Perhaps you could examine the before and after CD-TEXT.BIN, see what corrections need to be made, and use a text editor like BBEdit to fix it.

Anyone tried this or a similar approach? It's gotta be a really simple fix.

On my list of things to do that I can't get around to : - )

Cheers - JT
To get the last project through, I had to do exactly the same thing as Luke did: create a DDP of the exact same project with Wave Editor (seems to work well but the automatic conversion of 16 bit dithered files to 32 bit in order do do anything in Wave Editor makes me nervous after spending a lot of care getting the files exactly right with the best dithering choice for each particular job... Wouldn't want something to change even just an extra stage of dithering), and replace the WaveBurner CDTEXT.BIN by the Wave Editor one. Worked fine, but can't understand someone let such an obvious bug through in Waveburner!
Old 7th December 2009
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Jerry Tubb's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
replace the WaveBurner CDTEXT.BIN by the Wave Editor one. Worked fine, but can't understand someone let such an obvious bug through in Waveburner!
Aha! brilliant.

I love it when we can work through limitations with "hacks" !

'Course you have to learn WE to do this one.

I may try it between WB and PMCD and compare the CDTEXT.BIN file contents.

I'd still like to know exactly what the diff is in the text string.

The other idea is to learn exactly what DCA recommends for DDPi CD-Text, check what happens in the Apps we use, and see exactly what Eclipse requires at replication.

Something might be getting rearranged along the way.

Cheers - JT
Old 9th February 2010
  #14
Gear Addict
 
brethes's Avatar
 

Verified Member
After another DDP job where I had to generate the CD-Text.Bin from Wave Editor as the one produced by Waveburner was again incorrect, I did another Google search about this problem tonight and finally found an answer (which I never got after posting the problem on the Apple forum ages ago): the CD-Text corruption in the DDP seems to only happen on PPC machines. As Logic 9 (hence Waveburner 1.6.1) is not officially supported on PPC, unfortunately this may never be addressed by Apple in a fix.
Old 10th February 2010
  #15
Audio Alchemist
 
Lagerfeldt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Is anyone successfully using WaveBurner to produce DDPs? There seems to be a bug that produces a corrupt CDTEXT.BIN file each time, whether or not CD-Text info is actually entered.
Works fine here.
Old 11th February 2010
  #16
Gear Addict
 
brethes's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Works fine here.
Hi Lagerfeldt,

Intel or PPC?
Old 11th February 2010
  #17
Audio Alchemist
 
Lagerfeldt's Avatar
Intel.

OS 10.5.8
Old 11th February 2010
  #18
Gear Head
 
Luna Sound's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Intel or PPC?
WB is still giving me garbled CD text on two different Intel macs.
Old 11th February 2010
  #19
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
Aha! brilliant.

I love it when we can work through limitations with "hacks" !

'Course you have to learn WE to do this one.

I may try it between WB and PMCD and compare the CDTEXT.BIN file contents.

I'd still like to know exactly what the diff is in the text string.

The other idea is to learn exactly what DCA recommends for DDPi CD-Text, check what happens in the Apps we use, and see exactly what Eclipse requires at replication.

Something might be getting rearranged along the way.

Cheers - JT
W.E. is not that hard of a learning curve. i is the first mastering program for me.. took me a few to get the hang of the work flow but it seems pretty straight forward. I am a TOTAL newbie to this aspect
Old 11th February 2010
  #20
Gear Addict
 
brethes's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sound View Post
WB is still giving me garbled CD text on two different Intel macs.
Did a quick test this evening on an Intel Mac running Snow Panther and got an issue with 1 of the 3 DDPs I created from scratch: CD-Text for the last song missing when checked with the Sonoris DDP Player (less forgiving for errors than Wave Editor that could see that missing CD-Text, but that's the point of using the DDP Player as it follows pretty much the same rules than the Eclipse software and will show what can be flagged as a potential problem by pressing plants.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump