The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best CD writer for mastering
Old 10th November 2009
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Best CD writer for mastering

What CD-Writer do you use for mastering?
What do you think is the best cd writer for mastering?
Old 10th November 2009
  #2
Gear Nut
 
tendadaraposa's Avatar
 

Maybe try looking at the Mastering Forum?

luck
Old 10th November 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
The Listener's Avatar
I think there is a consensus about this: Plextor
Old 10th November 2009
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
paulreed's Avatar
 

is there really any difference???? Are you asking about hardware or software?
I sure would like to know if there really is a difference in cd burner's!!
Old 10th November 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
The Listener's Avatar
Reliability, lack of errors??

I use this one:

Premium2

They say this about it:

PoweRec
Plextor Optimized Writing Error Reduction Control (PoweRec) adjusts laser power and writing speed so they're at the optimum settings for that particular disc. Using real-time monitoring of the write data, PoweRec can increase or decrease write power and speed to guarantee the best possible writing quality with whatever brand media is used.

Audio Master Quality Recording
To improve recording quality still further, Plextor’s PlexWriter Premium2 incorporates Yamaha’s Audio Master Quality Recording system. Users can create studio-quality audio masters that not only sound better, but can also increase the life span of their valuable recordings. In addition to reducing jitter, it can improve playback compatibility (for the widest range of players), increase the lifespan of audio CDs and backups, and protect valuable data.
Old 11th November 2009
  #6
Here for the gear
 

I say hardware

I say hardware burner and about sound quality, lack of error, etc...
Old 11th November 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Verified Member
I use a Plextor Premium 2 but avoid all the fancy stuff as it can create an out of spec CD. They're not easy to find these days although you might have more luck in Korea.

Cheers

James.
Old 11th November 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Jerry Tubb's Avatar
 

Verified Member
We just bought a 2005 NOS Plexwriter Premium on eB*y from a trusted seller.

They're out there... but they're going for a... well... premium!

I'll install it in an enclosure today for testing...

JT
Old 11th November 2009
  #9
Gear Head
 
deltasigma's Avatar
 

I use an old Marantz 630 (bought before CD duplication became v easy.

It has fantastic ADC's on board (DS 64 X Oversampling (2.83 MHz), 1BIT), a great error correction circuit and solid clocking, plus down sampling for 48kHz signals, optical, coaxial, XLR and RCA inputs.

There is a huge amount of stuff that can change how a CD sounds when recorded.

D
Old 30th November 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Verified Member
I have a brand new (and unopened) Plextor Premium 2 listed in the classified section if anybody is interested, it's located in Milwaukee, WI. I accidentally ordered 2, only need one...
Old 3rd December 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Table Of Tone's Avatar
 

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperkinski View Post
I have a brand new (and unopened) Plextor Premium 2 listed in the classified section if anybody is interested, it's located in Milwaukee, WI. I accidentally ordered 2, only need one...
If you're mastering, you need more than two!
Some Premium 2's are better than others, with regards to errors!
Old 4th December 2009
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Verified Member
Hmm, you're probably right, but when I installed the Premium 2 in the 2nd bay of my Mac Pro, something went wrong and it wouldn't boot past the blue startup screen and I had to redo the OS, it's all good now but I am definitely not touching now that the computer is happy again.
Old 4th December 2009
  #13
Gear Nut
 
acca's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperkinski View Post
Hmm, you're probably right, but when I installed the Premium 2 in the 2nd bay of my Mac Pro, something went wrong and it wouldn't boot past the blue startup screen and I had to redo the OS, it's all good now but I am definitely not touching now that the computer is happy again.
Do you succeded in installing it in a Mac Pro?
Does the Premium 2 have a proper Mac OS driver or are you using it in Windows with Bootcamp?
Old 4th December 2009
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Verified Member
yeah, it works great in my early Mac Pro in OSX 10.5 with no additional driver installs.
The later Mac Pro's apparently have SATA connections for the optical drives so it won't work in those. It physically installed pretty easy, but upon first startup it wouldn't boot. After a few hours of troubleshooting I just reinstalled Leopard and used time machine to restore it to it's last saved state and all is good...i think installing in a FW enclosure would have been smoother...
Old 4th December 2009
  #15
Gear Nut
 
acca's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperkinski View Post
yeah, it works great in my early Mac Pro in OSX 10.5 with no additional driver installs.
The later Mac Pro's apparently have SATA connections for the optical drives so it won't work in those. It physically installed pretty easy, but upon first startup it wouldn't boot. After a few hours of troubleshooting I just reinstalled Leopard and used time machine to restore it to it's last saved state and all is good...i think installing in a FW enclosure would have been smoother...
Great!
Does anybody know if FW enclosures and/or FW chipsets can cause errors in the writing process?
Old 4th December 2009
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Jerry Tubb's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Installed a Plextor 716 in one of our Mac G5's... a Pioneer 112D in the other G5.

They both work great.

We also have 6-8 other external Plextors to last a few years down the road.

JT
Old 4th December 2009
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by acca View Post
Great!
Does anybody know if FW enclosures and/or FW chipsets can cause errors in the writing process?
They shouldn't do. I have a PC tucked away out of sight and a Plextor firewire/usb external drive in front of me so that I don't have to go to the PC each time I want to access a CD. It worked fine for ages until I did a Windows update. After that it would read but wouldn't burn. I've since changed computers and it is back to working fine with the new computer. The software that I use treats it exactly the same as an internal drive.

Cheers

James.
Old 5th December 2009
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Table Of Tone's Avatar
 

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperkinski View Post
yeah, it works great in my early Mac Pro in OSX 10.5 with no additional driver installs.
The later Mac Pro's apparently have SATA connections for the optical drives so it won't work in those. It physically installed pretty easy, but upon first startup it wouldn't boot. After a few hours of troubleshooting I just reinstalled Leopard and used time machine to restore it to it's last saved state and all is good...i think installing in a FW enclosure would have been smoother...
Run a Premium 2 in a caddy if you're using either a G5 or Mac Pro!
Old 5th December 2009
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Table Of Tone's Avatar
 

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
Installed a Plextor 716 in one of our Mac G5's... a Pioneer 112D in the other G5.

They both work great.

We also have 6-8 other external Plextors to last a few years down the road.

JT
Wise move to have a few of em!
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump