The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EQ in mastering? Dynamics Plugins
Old 11th July 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
yes, Bob Katz explained that some years ago.

figure out, what frequency the note is (there are charts that give you that information), set a parametric eq to this frequency with a really high q (at best 1/12 octave) and knock that band down as required.

if it affects too much of the rest of the mix and you cant go down to that exact track you can automate the eq to work exact at the position in question.
Be sure to double check what you are doing on a good set of headphones, there is every chance that the boomy note is in your room or speakers and not actually in the mix.
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruairi View Post
Be sure to double check what you are doing on a good set of headphones, there is every chance that the boomy note is in your room or speakers and not actually in the mix.
if your room is boomy and uncontrolled, he's not good enough for mastering.

no room is 100% perfect, but you should know the thiny weaken of your room - my one is a bit long at f# - if f# is a bit to heavy, i know that this is ok (sometimes i double check with headphones).

there are some dynamic eq's who have scalings in notes, very easy to set to overloud tones.

this page help also

Notennamen Pianotastatur = Klaviatur Bezeichnungen Note Ton Toene Namen Keyboard Klavier Frequenzen Fluegel MIDI alle Noten deutsch englisch Notenbezeichnung System Kammerton Frequenzen Tonhoehen umrechnen Uebersicht Akkorde Klavier Notenfrequenz Not

it's also a good thing to learn the most important keys -

c is 65/130/260
a is 55/110/220
e is 41.5/83/166

and so on...
Old 17th July 2014
Motown legend

Verified Member
Even in a great room don't trust the monitors too much. Back in the day most monitors weren't as good as what we typically had at home so we used broad strokes in the studio double-checked by what we heard back home. There are speakers you can learn like NS10s but there are also many speakers that have holes in their response that are utterly useless as monitors even though they sound impressive.
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Even in a great room don't trust the monitors too much. Back in the day most monitors weren't as good as what we typically had at home so we used broad strokes in the studio double-checked by what we heard back home. There are speakers you can learn like NS10s but there are also many speakers that have holes in their response that are utterly useless as monitors even though they sound impressive.
that's one of the reasons why i started to build my own speakers.

back in the days there was not the same technology thab today, to have a speaker/room combination who give you a great picture is for me unalterable.
Old 18th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
that's one of the reasons why i started to build my own speakers.
that's one of the reasons why i started to using headphones.
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
but hp have even more holes in their response, mostly in hi mids and highs.
Old 18th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
but hp have even more holes in their response, mostly in hi mids and highs.
Speakers are better in hi-freqs where there is not that much of a room problems
Headhones are better in lo-freqs
both complement each other
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I dont use hp very often nor I find some that I could trust. but I dont trust most speakers either...
Old 19th July 2014
Motown legend

Verified Member
I start by only considering monitors that have a track record for producing excellent results. It's all about the results.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search