The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EQ in mastering? Dynamics Plugins
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
And Scrip is prominently featured--pretty sure he's banned as well, lol.
Old 29th November 2009
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
It is a re-posting of the content of (************************* - Stay Away from Recording.Org), a claim that quoting the Music Mastering on Line site is "illegal" (and a copyright violation) and encourages its members to avoid Recording.org, describers its moderator as "contentious and lazy" and its content "LAME."
Legal question.

If someone was making a claim that quoting someone without authorization on their site is an "illegal violation", wouldn't that also make it an "illegal violation" for the person making that claim, to quote someone and post it on their site without authorization? ...or is that diplomatic immunity or double jeopardy or something?
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
...or is that diplomatic immunity or double jeopardy or something?
Probably reciprocity. Or recidivism. Or jurisprudence.
Attached Thumbnails
EQ in mastering?-diplomatic-immunity.jpg  
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Legal question.

If someone was making a claim that quoting someone without authorization on their site is an "illegal violation", wouldn't that also make it an "illegal violation" for the person making that claim, to quote someone and post it on their site without authorization? ...or is that diplomatic immunity or double jeopardy or something?
My mama always used to say "two wrongs don't make a right". But then she would beat me for hitting my brother. I guess that it depends on interpretation of the law.
Old 30th November 2009
Elk
Gear Nut

Quote:
If someone was making a claim that quoting someone without authorization on their site is an "illegal violation", wouldn't that also make it an "illegal violation" for the person making that claim, to quote someone and post it on their site without authorization?
Certainly inconsistent at best.

It is not a copyright violation to quote someone in the context of a review or commentary. This is what we do routinely on this - and other sites - when we quote a post for the post of expressing disagreement, expanding on the point, etc. This is fair use.

As to the content, I find the concept of "harmonic balancing" through "aligning frequency densities" as mastering, or as an "industry standard," odd at best. But I also do not fully understand what this means so I am withholding judgment for now.
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
As to the content, I find the concept of "harmonic balancing" through "aligning frequency densities" as mastering, or as an "industry standard," odd at best. But I also do not fully understand what this means so I am withholding judgment for now.
Regardless of the style of music, when the spectrum looks like the one below you are done and it is virtually guaranteed to sell. It's why all the top mastering engineers endorse analyzers.
Attached Thumbnails
EQ in mastering?-hitspectrum.jpg  
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I find the concept of "harmonic balancing" through "aligning frequency densities" as mastering, or as an "industry standard," odd at best. But I also do not fully understand what this means so I am withholding judgment for now.
I feel as if I have to cough something up.
Old 30th November 2009
Elk
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins View Post
Regardless of the style of music, when the spectrum looks like the one below you are done and it is virtually guaranteed to sell. It's why all the top mastering engineers endorse analyzers.
I can do this! If I had only known this years ago.

I never thought I could fully master EQ. Now I believe I can.

(P.S. Please forgive my copyright violation of quoting you.)
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodreason View Post
oh, wait, which side is the bass on?
With enough M/S processing, the bass can be on all sides at once.

DC
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:

DC
They should use that when remastering the stereo versions of some of the older Beatles tracks. Does this work on vocals too?
Old 30th November 2009
Motown legend

Verified Member
I thought it was only with linear phase M/S processing...
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
This is probably NOT a hip hop or reggae song...just a guess!
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post

or the intro heh
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
But will it pass the Blur rate test?

Woo-hoo!

Professional Digital Music Mastering

DC
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
I thought I detected a disturbance in the force:

************************* - Stay Away from Recording.Org

DC
Hey!

I'm quoted in that thread!

Dreams really do come true... on the internets.
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

DC
That's what I used to tell my girlfriend before she kicked me out.. I guess she thought I was talking about something else.
Old 30th November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
I thought I detected a disturbance in the force:

************************* - Stay Away from Recording.Org

DC
Whenever I come across the word GURU attached to audio persons I always wonder who stated it. Like when opening the main page there.

What makes someone in the audio field GURU? What does GURU mean? What does GURU imply?

Who decides who's a GURU?

Regards
Patrik
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrikT View Post
What makes someone in the audio field GURU? What does GURU mean? What does GURU imply?

Maybe this will help:

YouTube - Flanders and Swann - The Gnu Song

SB
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
You are joking right?

I mean green bars? EVERYBODY knows the secret is red bars
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Maybe this will help...

Guru - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 30th November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Seems that GURU is as close to GOD as it gets. All things divine just must be great for audio! Holy stereo, holy punch.

What I need to know, still, is who proclaims a GURU being GURU? A matter of self-proclaim? A matter of thousands of people declaring GURU being GURU? A matter of something else?

Regards
Patrik
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Seems that GURU is as close to GOD as it gets. All things divine just must be great for audio! Holy stereo, holy punch.

What I need to know, still, is who proclaims a GURU being GURU? A matter of self-proclaim? A matter of thousands of people declaring GURU being GURU? A matter of something else?

Regards
Patrik
I think that in this case it is self proclaimed. Normally one does not reach GURU status until they are recognized by millions of followers. Is the word GURU copyrighted as well? If so there are a lot of GURUs out there that need to rethink their titles.
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whenever I come across the word GURU attached to audio persons I always wonder who stated it. Like when opening the main page there.
You guys have been looking all along at Joe's site, so I didn't write that. The idea of Guru came from Randy Irwin manager of the Shirelles, a charming fellow who has a great sense of humor and who was very impressed by my work. Joe simply decided it would be a good idea to put that on the online service he runs {MMOL}. Anyway, I have a couple of sites and none of them say "Guru". So whoever said it was self-proclaimed is nothing but looking to create a conversation motivated by pure speculation and to further derail this thread which IMHO, thanks to DC has gone from "classic" to "preposterous".

Regards,
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_Vinatea View Post
You guys have been looking all along at Joe's site, so I didn't write that.
Well, yes - his name is on the byline. But that is I think a picture of your set up on the same page so you can understand if (if at all) a connection to you is made.

SB
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caput View Post
Well, yes - his name is on the byline. But that is I think a picture of your set up on the same page so you can understand if (if at all) a connection to you is made.

SB
Agreed. I believe also the thumbnail shows up always, but there are also articles by serious and knowledgeable Gearslutz.com members:
you know, the ones who really have a real in depth knowledge on audio engineering subjects. That's it, I am not answering inquiries anymore.

Best wishes,
Old 1st July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius.media View Post
Why are you high passing above 20 hz? Anything >20 is audible.
Why hi pass above 20 hz? Why to tighten up the bottom end...the resonant frequency of the bass instrument is usually 40+ hz so depending on where (and how ie 12/24 db slope) you hi pass below the lowest resonant frequency will alter how the bass sounds. It will also clear up headroom in the mix.
Old 10th July 2014
Gear Guru
I would love to hear BK and Lucey master the same song (I'll happily provide it!).... I know scary talented guys that can play every scale ever invented and guys that couldn't play the same thing twice to save their lives. I do think to teach is a different animal since people don't process info the same way, especially abstraction. I know a woman who can play Rachmaninoff on the piano but can't play anything without music in front of her, (she's a rocket scientist and it's all data to her). Such a paradox since music can be so concrete and mathmatical. Been fun reading all this!
Serious question tho, can I find a boomy note in a mix if I know what I played, and cut accordingly through matching the note to a eq frequency? Never thought of eq like that (if it's possible)!
Old 10th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
Serious question tho, can I find a boomy note in a mix if I know what I played, and cut accordingly through matching the note to a eq frequency? Never thought of eq like that (if it's possible)!
yes, Bob Katz explained that some years ago.

figure out, what frequency the note is (there are charts that give you that information), set a parametric eq to this frequency with a really high q (at best 1/12 octave) and knock that band down as required.

if it affects too much of the rest of the mix and you cant go down to that exact track you can automate the eq to work exact at the position in question.
Old 10th July 2014
Gear Guru
Very cool! Thx! Gonna try it tonite...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search