The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sontec! Where is Burgess Macneal??
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Sontec! Where is Burgess Macneal??

I am trying to reach him over a month now with no success. What is the matter?
Old 12th November 2009
He is in the Islands drinking margaritas, with all the money that they pay him in advance for the new EQ's, and he is having a better life.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
Quote:
Originally Posted by switch1 View Post
I am trying to reach him over a month now with no success. What is the matter?
There is nothing the matter. You just need to adjust your schedule from the idea that most folks return messages almost instantly back to a time when people used to write letters, and then hope for a reply in a few months.

Maybe you could drop by for a visit?

100 Audio Dr Ripplemead, VA 24150 - Google Maps

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 12th November 2009
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasrangel View Post
That's an old page and is NOT his contact info.
try -
540-626-7202
888-410-4842
info at ITI-Audio dot com

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post
That's an old page and is NOT his contact info.
try -
540-626-7202
888-410-4842
info at ITI-Audio dot com

Best regards,
Steve Berson
yes, just trying to help seek him.
just in case
who is Ron Kramer?
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear
Edited post.
Old 4th September 2012
Here for the gear

Burgess Macneal - Sontec - use caution

In my opinion anyone dealing with Burgess Macneal should do so with EXTREAM CAUTION. In 1999 I bought a brand new Sontec MES 432 Mastering Equalizer from Sontec, Mr. Macneal. In 2001 I spoke to Burgess Macneal and requested a modification of my equalizer. He said he could do it and we agreed on a price, so I sent the unit to him. My equalizer when shipped was in absolutely mint condition! While my unit was being “modified” I was given a “demo” unit which while it functioned well, it clearly was not in the pristine visual condition of my equalizer. Burgess promised a turnaround time of a couple of months. Time passed no equalizer returned. After numerous phone calls, letters and even sending the local sheriff to his home, I have never seen my equalizer again. In the few instances when I have spoken to Burgess, I have had every phony excuse under the sun and continued promises of delivery, each promise clearly an out and out lie. While the equipment may be good, the unethical business practices exhibited by this person would drive me to one of several competitors offering similar equalizers. In my opinion, the products produced by any company are only as good as the people behind them.
Old 5th September 2012
Gear Addict

Verified Member
1 Review written
Damn, Carl, that sucks. Hope you get things sorted out soon and to your satisfaction.
Old 5th September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
12 Reviews written
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowatti View Post
Time passed no equalizer returned. After numerous phone calls, letters and even sending the local sheriff to his home, I have never seen my equalizer again.
Carl do you know the serial number of your missing EQ? Would be interesting to post it and see if it was re-sold by mistake or something...
Old 8th September 2012
Gear Maniac
which begs the question, where does one go to get their Sontec 43x repaired in the US? I had Steve Firlotte replace some step attenuators in mine. He's otherwise very busy with Inward Connections, so not sure if he'd be available in the future.

_sh
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmasterer View Post
which begs the question, where does one go to get their Sontec 43x repaired in the US? I had Steve Firlotte replace some step attenuators in mine. He's otherwise very busy with Inward Connections, so not sure if he'd be available in the future.

_sh
Dan Zellman in NYC can do it.
Old 8th September 2012
Gear Addict

Verified Member
1 Review written
Quote:
which begs the question, where does one go to get their Sontec 43x repaired in the US?

My guess is Burgess, but Chris Muth also works on Sontec gear.

http://www.taloowa.com/tcsonrep.html

[Edit: link works now!]
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorneau View Post
Chris Muth also works on Sontec gear.

http://www.taloowa.com/tcsonrep.html/
The link for Chris wasn't working. Here it is:

Taloowa Corp home
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Maniac
excellent, thank you

_sh
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:

_sh

That is very interesting.... that you had 'some' step attenuators replaced.... They are Mil Spec Shallco's... first I have ever heard of one or more having any issues.... during numerous discussions about the repairing of Sontecs/ ITI's a few snake oil salesmen have come to light and there are those who love to change parts needlessly ..... sometimes the springs will get worn but other than that nothing... and all that does is change the rotational feel.
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGray View Post
Carl do you know the serial number of your missing EQ? Would be interesting to post it and see if it was re-sold by mistake or something...

Seems I recall a conversation about Rowatti's unit.... very interesting... lol
It's probably laying around in the 'Gym' with a bunch of my junk piled on top of it or sitting in the hallway behind some rolls of roofing felt, paint and empty milk jugs.... or maybe it's being used as a door stop somewhere -
But chances are it got shipped somewhere else by mistake...or the mobster is making stuff up.... Bugsy is almost eighty years old and both of us started losing our minds pretty bad about then.... nobody except his wife knows when his birthday is

Anyhow, there will likely not be any more Sontecs produced... He is too old and we are both too crazy
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTBOY View Post
Seems I recall a conversation about Rowatti's unit.... very interesting... lol
It's probably laying around in the 'Gym' with a bunch of my junk piled on top of it or sitting in the hallway behind some rolls of roofing felt, paint and empty milk jugs.... or maybe it's being used as a door stop somewhere -
But chances are it got shipped somewhere else by mistake...or the mobster is making stuff up.... Bugsy is almost eighty years old and both of us started losing our minds pretty bad about then.... nobody except his wife knows when his birthday is

Anyhow, there will likely not be any more Sontecs produced... He is too old and we are both too crazy
How do you know Burgess? Or are you Burgess???
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
That is very interesting.... that you had 'some' step attenuators replaced.... They are Mil Spec Shallco's... first I have ever heard of one or more having any issues.... during numerous discussions about the repairing of Sontecs/ ITI's a few snake oil salesmen have come to light and there are those who love to change parts needlessly ..... sometimes the springs will get worn but other than that nothing... and all that does is change the rotational feel.
I was just looking at a modded Sontec tonight. Good measured performance actually. Nothing earth-shattering. Had some AD845's and AD711 in place of the 5535's.

DC
Attached Thumbnails
Sontec! Where is Burgess Macneal??-sontec.jpg  
Old 5th December 2012
Gear Maniac
Quote:
sorry to take so long to get back about this, in fact I guess I lied a bit about it, not the attenuators, it was the bandwidth selectors, which kinda glitched when adjusted, very annoying. according to SF, these are hard to come by, he scraped up the required 6 from a couple sources, attaching a pic of one of the old ones returned with the unit, works real good now

_sh
Attached Thumbnails
Sontec! Where is Burgess Macneal??-img_0452.jpg  
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
sorry to take so long to get back about this, in fact I guess I lied a bit about it, not the attenuators, it was the bandwidth selectors, which kinda glitched when adjusted, very annoying. according to SF, these are hard to come by, he scraped up the required 6 from a couple sources, attaching a pic of one of the old ones returned with the unit, works real good now

_sh
That's happening with mine too. Does SF have 6 more of them by any chance?
Old 5th December 2012
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering View Post
That's happening with mine too. Does SF have 6 more of them by any chance?
just PM'd you Robin,

_m
Old 5th December 2012
This may be a stupid question, but that Shallco switch looks like a pretty standard form factor 1" panel mount switch. Are you telling me that there ins't a Grayhill or Elma part that could be a direct replacement with the same indexing? The replacement part probably won't have the exact same feel, but functionally and electrically they are identical.
All the best,
-mark
Old 5th December 2012
Gear Maniac
its a 5 position rotary at 10,11,12,1 & 2 o'clock ('ish), to match the panel legend, don't know but I assume thats the reason, have heard Shallco will make it, but a minimum order could be required, special order yada $$ yada.
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
IIRC that's a Shallco J series switch. Try Electroswitch M5 series. Electroswitch doesn't have a minimum order and are available through the usual suspects.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear