The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
getting to the next level?
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

getting to the next level?

So ive done the best i can in the last couple of years reading everything i can, and imparting my own flavor on tracks. I cant help to feel that Im stagnant regarding taking things above a decent rough mix. *( but I cant afford to have my album pro mixed or mastered right now). I dont have to many tracks for each song, usually around 7 to 10, beats and different synths plus vocals. I do the typical compression, eq, and send buses with delay, reverb and different compression for flavor. I would give my self a 6 on the pro sumer scale home recorder person. I know I have allot to learn to get to another level, and feel stuck. I have 10 songs recorded and am just about finished completing my album. I had a tendency not to finish mixing each song 100% and move on when creativity strikes cause I always felt that creation is more important. *( key not this is for an engineer I am an independent artist recording and mixing myself. thnx.
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Addict

First off, this probably doesn't belong on the mastering forum, but I'll do the best I can to give you some ideas:

It's tough for an artist to start out and progress in all directions at once - that's why engineers and producers exist. It helps if the artist can focus on his art with the full use of his right-brain, and leave all the anal-retentiveness to the left-brainers. However, if you're getting stuck with the left-brained stuff and it isn't possible to hire an engineer or producer, then it might help to find someone in your area who is an engineer and just watch them work. Ask them questions.

Interning at a studio is another option, but what you learn in that environment will be exactly what you give... you might have to start by taking out the trash and cleaning up. Also, on-lookers and question-askers aren't usually appreciated when in-session, so you'll have to ask an engineer to take some of his personal time to pass along some knowledge - some might be more than happy to do this, most will want you to prove yourself to a certain extent. Unless the guy's just a jerk, he'll usually help you out if you're polite and focused and don't slack on all your intern duties, and if he has the time. If you're lucky, you might make an impression and someone will take you "under the wing."

The third option is to get some more education. While this won't necessarily help you mix creatively, it may open new doors and give you new ideas to use. Whether you take courses at an actual recording school, or just do a ton of research on the web (you're in the right place for that) is up to you - again, a situation where you'll get as much as you give. Check out some of the Q & A sessions on GS - a lot of great engineers speaking point-of-factly on their experiences and techniques.

It really just depends on what you want to focus on - if you'd rather put your energy into being an artist, then do the best you can with what you have and get it out there. Hopefully someone will pick it up and you won't have to deal with the engineering side of things for much longer (although, the knowledge won't ever hurt you as you progress in your musical career). If you're happy making music, but you find your real interest is in the engineering, then I'd suggest the education / intern route. It's a very difficult road, but I'm a proponent of the "do what you love and everything else will fall into place" strategy.

Oh, also - I suggest finding your favorite artists and mixes and listen to what's happening in the music. Try duplicating the fabric of what you hear, and practice it over and over again.
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

For me I like alott of the eastbay *dj fresh style of music
and saul williams spoken word stuff. But some stuff i am lost at how to get the beats to WRAP AROUND MY VOCALS.
and my vocals to fit in the mix perfectly!

often times I sound like vocals spoken over beats.where my desire is to sound like my vocals are illuminating in and out of the beats.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear