The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A/D Converter Shootout (with samples)
View Poll Results: Which converter or converters did you like best?
I like converter 1
41 Votes - 9.83%
I like converter 2
52 Votes - 12.47%
I like converter 3
95 Votes - 22.78%
I like converter 4
81 Votes - 19.42%
I like converter 5
74 Votes - 17.75%
I like converter 6
47 Votes - 11.27%
I don't have a preference
81 Votes - 19.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR465 View Post
Curious to know what you think!

Regards
Phil had confirmed with me that his first demo was with the MADA-2 and not the MADA-2a so maybe he hasn't had a chance to try the (a) version yet.
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

That topic made me think that there's no one, two or ten "only for mastering" AD/DAs. One swear by Forsell, next one thinks that its lifeless and hazy. The same for HEDD, Lavry, Mytek. They;'re all fine and made to do the job right.
Old 14th November 2012
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 View Post
That topic made me think that there's no one, two or ten "only for mastering" AD/DAs. One swear by Forsell, next one thinks that its lifeless and hazy. The same for HEDD, Lavry, Mytek. They;'re all fine and made to do the job right.
According to my observations on this forum and elsewhere the Mytek, Antelope and new Lynx converters get more nods of approval than most of the others. Many of the top mastering studios seem to use the Lavry however.
Old 14th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGray View Post
Phil had confirmed with me that his first demo was with the MADA-2 and not the MADA-2a so maybe he hasn't had a chance to try the (a) version yet.
Thanks Matt.
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

I voted that I didn't have a preference... they all sounded good except 1. too bassy. 3, and 4 had a deepness I liked, but not enough to really care. Keep in mind that 1 also sounded good, but in terms of relation. If I had the piece of number 1, id use it all day everyday. Hence my vote for not having a pref.
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Eslam View Post
According to my observations on this forum and elsewhere the Mytek, Antelope and new Lynx converters get more nods of approval than most of the others. Many of the top mastering studios seem to use the Lavry however.
Don't forget about Apogee They get quite mixed reviews here. I chose Rosetta 200 over Mytek and Lynx. It just felt right to me. But.. they all sounded impressive after Echo converters I had. (well.. if I we can talk about the "sound" when talking on converters).

Please remember that even "mid priced" converters these days are far superior sounding than "tops" that were produced ten or twenty years ago, and you're listening to great stuff from that years which was made on quite, let's say it, poor ad/da's... technology is better now. No doubt about it.
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 View Post
Don't forget about Apogee They get quite mixed reviews here. I chose Rosetta 200 over Mytek and Lynx. It just felt right to me. But.. they all sounded impressive after Echo converters I had. (well.. if I we can talk about the "sound" when talking on converters).

Please remember that even "mid priced" converters these days are far superior sounding than "tops" that were produced ten or twenty years ago, and you're listening to great stuff from that years which was made on quite, let's say it, poor ad/da's... technology is better now. No doubt about it.
That was my whole point sir: the Apogees get mixed reviews, whereas the Mytek invariably get nods of approval (although I would think twice about buying one myself, for reasons other than sound quality).

I think your signature says it all:
"This is Gearslutz, it's all about paying for sh*t you can hardly hear, don't really need and few other people actually care about."
Old 16th November 2012
My best friend passed away last month. He invented new technology of synthesis that combines digital and analog benefits. Yesterday prototype arrived (unfortunately it was the first fineshed product). Sad story.

Here is conversion sample and first demo of this unit Download Isa Anghello - winter theme.wav from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Maniac

I listened on headphones and picked the Lavry as my 1st choice, Forssell 2nd and Prism 3rd

The Lavry and Forssell are quite obviously much better than the rest.

The rest of the field sounds unruly, I found this especially to be noticeable in the low end.
Old 30th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
Where these figures come from ?
Very good question. I asked a guy who worked in tape business and actually been developing new tapes with modern technology. I think they use some special equipment to calculate this. Sorry .. can't answer this exactly.
Old 30th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Eslam View Post
The only interesting technology is linear conversion (as Apogee AD1000) still used in AIR studios. If I had some extra xxx xxx EUR would invest in this technology. It sounds very very natural to me. All other concepts of delta-sigma is basically the same. Very innovative is what black lion did (double conversion).. but didn't heard.
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghello View Post
Ladies and gentleman, let me please introduce you new mastering ADDA design. It is the only prototype yet and I am not sure if we would produce it commercially.

Here is DAAD conversion sample

Opinions welcome!
I like this sound, any updates on this unit? To my ears and **** ****ty speakers i have at work, this sounds like what the 2192 was going for but better.
Old 25th February 2014
Gear Addict

'converter A sounds like an ssl buss'

this discussion is mental!!
Old 25th February 2014
Lives for gear

Pass the audio through the converters 100 times to see the true character, and above all to stop the hallucinations.
Old 18th July 2014
Gear Nut

My pick:

1st choice: Converter 4 - Forssell

2nd choice: Converter 2 - Lavry Gold

Both have outstanding detail and transient response. The rest are quite colored in one way or another.

Admittedly, the Lavry has a color of its own - a somewhat smiley curve that sounds sweet, but the Forssell is effortless, natural-sounding and musical.
Old 13th August 2014
Lives for gear

this test safe a lot money ;-)
i prefered nr.3 and that's the one i use - the mytek.
maybe he had a advantage because there was a mytec d/a also in the test i think nr.3 had the best tonal balance.
i didn't liked the hedd & lavry gold - the lavry sounded sobering bad, nearly like a rme converter...
the orpheus is a tick hard and sharp, i had one before and liked in my daily work this "freshness", but i this shotout he's deficiencies was pointed obvious.
the forsell have a slighty sweet flavour, give some beauty, but he's not so close to the original like nr.3
the uad was a positive surprise, not really honest, but with a nice little transformer taste.
Old 22nd January 2016
Here for the gear
I have tried a binch of of converters (apogee ,lynx, lucid ,rme) trying to acheive a good sound on a budget
and i have found two relly great sounding converters that are not expensive but sound fab!
Sek'd 2496 (currently using )
sonifex redbox ( wish i didnt sell)
these easily sound better than any interface i have owned!
Apogee duet/one ,konnekt 48, rme babyface,
the konnekt 48 is supposed to have very good converters but the sek'd blew it out of the water instantly it was a big difference !
Lots of detail and clarity and very anolog it has so much detail i can hear different elements in the mix if you can find any of those two boxes which are usually under 250.00 it will be a very good investment the only thing i didnt like is the lack of word clock
the best converter i have heard was the lynx one period.it was amazing!the second is this two i have listed all of these are under 250.00

dont spend thousands on converters or get lost like i did!
Old 16th February 2016
Lives for gear
Years ago I couldn't hear a difference between most converters as I did not have the mastering room, speakers, amp and so on that I have now.

There are sure some exceptions but most of the times the more you pay, the more you get.
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

Without reading the thread I picked Track 4 as my favorite, whichever it was. Can anyone save me time of reading and indicate which converter it was?
Thanks.
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear
#4 was the Forssell
Old 4th June 2019
Gear Addict

I picked the forssell too (number 4). Just sounded the best right away but to me the number 3 is the clearest of all but it has less vibe.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search