The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The ultimate mastering EQ plug in would model.......???????
Old 29th August 2005
Gearslutz.com admin

The ultimate mastering EQ plug in would model.......???????

If you could order up your own custom designed mastering plug in..

What hardware would it emulate / model..?

Here is my list...

GML
Focusrite 315
Telefunken mastering EQ

Old 29th August 2005
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
1) Fairman TMEQ
2) Fearn VT-4

3) Depending on the mood of the day switchable between:

GML 9500
IBIS
and maybe a P9

heh
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

Ditto on GML 9500.
I wouldn't want colour.

ruudman
Old 29th August 2005
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
I would! heh
Old 29th August 2005
Craneslut

Verified Member
Sontec.
Old 29th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood
Sontec.

I agree with Brad and the GML 9500 does have a color to it.
Old 29th August 2005
switchable between color and no color.

let's get then massivo and a gml
Old 29th August 2005
Gear Addict

MP for color, GML 9500 for transparency.

Bill
Old 29th August 2005
Here for the gear

What about the actual plug-in itself? - Waves Linear Phase EQ?

It seems to be quite up there for transparency imho
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'd like to see the modeling concept go by the wayside.

Human nature is such that we're more drawn to boxes with knobs than to screenshots. That's a given. It's probably the reason that there's more traffic on the "So Much Gear" or "High End" boards than there is on the "Music Computers" board, even though I'd wager that we as a group

-- spend more time
-- create more music
-- encounter more things in need of
troubeshooting
and
-- make more money

doing music on computers.

How long did it take musicians & producers to figure out that the "Fender Bass" was SO much more than a replacement for an upright?
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Is it impossible to think that a plugin EQ could simply strive to sound great on its own merits, rather than by trying to emulate something else? After all, none of us will think it sounds like the original anyway.

ie: the Weiss EQ1, the Z-Sys, the MDW plugin, etc... All are good digital EQs and none are purported "models" of anything.

Or is this thread more a discussion about our favorite analog mastering equalizers?

-dave
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

Tritone AngelTone

Personally, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for Tritone's AngelTone. It's a convolution EQ apparently 'culled from a who's who of mastering EQs'.

If their other plugins are anything to go on it should sound fantastic.
Old 29th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G
Or is this thread more a discussion about our favorite analog mastering equalizers?

-dave
I guess so. I didn´t mention the Weiss, because it is already digital and making it a plugin wouldn´t really be such a big deal (given the digital hardware architecture that the Weiss makes it sound so good like the upsampling process etc.).

But anyway, slutting about some awesome mastering eqs isn´t such a bad thing to do, is it ? I´m really curious about the Ibis as I didn´t check it out yet. The SPL Mastering EQ is said to be really good as well. Has anyone around here experience with it ? The presets are definately a nice touch, when whole mastering albums.

Bill
Old 29th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recording David
If their other plugins are anything to go on it should sound fantastic.

i gotta say, i'm generally not a contrarian, and my inclination is to look for the virtues in something...

i can't hear what others are hearing in the hydratone eq. it sounds bad to me, i can't make things sound better with it. cambridge, oxford, sonalksis, eqium, i can make things sound better. hydratone, not better.

puzzled,

gregoire
del ubik
Old 29th August 2005
i heard good things about the two new plugins "red" and "orange". i don't remember the manufactuerer.

are they comparable to weiss?
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster
I guess so. I didn´t mention the Weiss, because it is already digital and making it a plugin wouldn´t really be such a big deal (given the digital hardware architecture that the Weiss makes it sound so good like the upsampling process etc.).

But anyway, slutting about some awesome mastering eqs isn´t such a bad thing to do, is it ? I´m really curious about the Ibis as I didn´t check it out yet. The SPL Mastering EQ is said to be really good as well.
To be clear, I'm not knocking any "slutting" over good mastering EQs... I'm just questioning the desirability of "modeling" plugins vs. simply good-sounding ones.

-dave
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
..GML 9500 does have a color to it.
Yes, I've always thought french white is a good colour..

heh

ruudman
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
If you could order up your own custom designed mastering plug in..
Oh yeah... that would be so cool

on my dreamlist : Klangfilm, Sontec, old Klein und Hummel Tube eq and Munich '59 Tube EQ.

But honestly... I don't belive that anyone is abel to create a realistic algorithm until we hit the 500kHz samplingrate mark

Andreas
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it impossible to think that a plugin EQ could simply strive to sound great on its own merits, rather than by trying to emulate something else? After all, none of us will think it sounds like the original anyway.

I hear ya.

I`m getting tired of emulations in general but plugins are by far the worst offenders. You allways get those nuts that say " well it`s not exactly like the real thing but it`s 90% there. " Drives me up the wall.

Most of the emulations I`ve used just plain don`t sound that good period much less sound like the classic EQ`s/compressors.

They should give up the emulating and just get it to sound decent.

Than again if your trying to make a great sounding EQ I guess you gotta start somewhere.
Old 30th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
Yes, I've always thought french white is a good colour..

heh

ruudman

I would say more like Smirnoff Ice.

Sharp,bright,diamondy.
Old 30th August 2005
Lives for gear

TMEQ would be pretty sweet. Colored, but sweet.
Old 30th August 2005
Lives for gear

We already have a couple of Pultecs, I think the URS pultec is pretty decent at 192 samplingrate.
Old 30th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
i can't hear what others are hearing in the hydratone eq. it sounds bad to me, i can't make things sound better with it. cambridge, oxford, sonalksis, eqium, i can make things sound better. hydratone, not better.

Agreed, I think it has a certain punch, but no real 'sound'. I don't use it, pluss the GUI looks so bad it's ridiculous. Another thing that surprises me with this plug is that there so little difference between the different 'models' or impulse responses.
Old 31st August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
To be clear, I'm not knocking any "slutting" over good mastering EQs... I'm just questioning the desirability of "modeling" plugins vs. simply good-sounding ones.

-dave
IMO modeling plugins are there for people, who cannot afford the real deal. In the end it´s a good thing to provide producers with a soundcharacteristic they wouldn´t be able to use otherwise.

Of course the hardware units sound better in most situations, but it´s a fair trade off for a lot of people.

Bill
Old 31st August 2005
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster
IMO modeling plugins are there for people, who cannot afford the real deal. In the end it´s a good thing to provide producers with a soundcharacteristic they wouldn´t be able to use otherwise.

Of course the hardware units sound better in most situations, but it´s a fair trade off for a lot of people.

Bill
I agree with your point. Hell, I use some modeled plugins on some things.

However, my thinking is that in the context of the "ultimate mastering EQ plugin" (the title of the thread), we're talking more about mastering than production -- as such I'd think that a flexible and very good sounding equalizer would be more desirable as "the ultimate" than some emulation of a character piece, especially with all the pitfalls and shortcomings that invariably come with emulations....

-dave

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search