The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
STC-8 question
Old 20th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering View Post
If you haven't done so, change the internal jumper to the 'milder' version of KI. The factory setting isn't really that usable for mastering. In its milder setting, I find KI very useful on the right material, especially when using the STC for punch / groove / bounce.
It's just me again with my stc-8 madness. But I finally got one today, and I'm keeping it this time!

Robin, you're a genius. I switched that jumper like you said, and it's way nicer. I didn't bother to do that before I sent it back, but now I can see that KI will be cool to have. It's a really nice compressor!

Mychal
kjg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakly View Post
It's just me again with my stc-8 madness. But I finally got one today, and I'm keeping it this time!
congratulations on the new baby, you slut!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg View Post
congratulations on the new baby, you slut!
Ha! First time I've been called that, at least in reference to gear. Do people hot plug these things, or is it better to turn it off? I really want it to last a long time because it's so nice.

Mychal

Edit: tech support at Crane Song emailed me that it's ok to plug in and out of it while it's on.
Old 7th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
knobs

I know, enough already with my stc-8! But my wife was really nice to me and bought me some new knobs for it. We got them from State Electronics, and they were super nice to deal with. The knobs are metal, and they feel good - they have a nice weight. The tone is just a touch darker now, but it still has that classic stc-8 sound.

Old 16th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I now see what the STC-8 hype is all about. I had a pair of Trakkers for a while, quite honestly was really hesitant to trade them for an STC-8, because the Trakkers are fantastic. But, i really needed a transparent bus comp to compliment my colored comps. The Trakkers were a little to colored and sometimes a little nervous sounding on certain material.

Some have said that the STC-8 is boring, well, i guess if you want it to do what an 1176 does, yes, then i could see that. If you need a mix bus comp to focus the groove, tame some fly away low end issues, lift some gain, i have to say the STC-8 really is a powerhouse.

Also, many say the Limiter as unusable. I could see how that could be the case if you go to far, which can happen seriously quick. But, when i use it, i barely use it, every now and then the light hardly flashes, and i really don't hear it clamping down. I have always thought that the meters on a lot of gear is suspect at best. This Limiter is kicking in without even seeing the meters flash.

Also, the KI setting is going to be fun for mixing. I don't think i would use it on the 2 bus though. Unless I have a track up that's just blistering with top end.

This one's a keeper.
Old 17th December 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I want a nice comp on the bus after my 8200. I'd like something controlling but cool - like a strict teacher but she's hot. Seriously, I'm thinking I would probably like the STC-8. Does it have nice gain? I need some gain, and I'm hoping I don't have to lose any width either. I can only afford to buy one comp, I don't have the luxury of having several models like a lot of you cats.

Mychal
8200 has fat "straight into your face" equalization. STC-8 has more delicate sound, they might not fully complement each other in terms of sound. I think it could be better idea to add the other compressor... maybe also the GML, I haven't demoed it however.
Old 17th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post
I now see what the STC-8 hype is all about.
Me too. It's sweet. What I didn't plan on was how much I would use it for tracking. But I love it for that - vocals, bass, drums, even piano. It's subtle, but definitely there. And on the mix bus I like it when the meters are barely moving. It's a great comp.

Quote:
8200 has fat "straight into your face" equalization. STC-8 has more delicate sound, they might not fully complement each other in terms of sound.
I've had the two together now for several months, and for me at least, they are a nice couple. To me, the stc-8 doesn't sound delicate. It's subtle for sure, but I wouldn't call the sound of it delicate. It's just - well, nice and full and good!

Mychal
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
To me, the stc-8 doesn't sound delicate. It's subtle for sure, but I wouldn't call the sound of it delicate.
Ok, more subtle than the GML + it has own very subtle color while GML has not. I'm not sure if they're fully complementing each other, but I'm sure in many cases they really are.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I know, enough already with my stc-8! But my wife was really nice to me and bought me some new knobs for it. We got them from State Electronics, and they were super nice to deal with. The knobs are metal, and they feel good - they have a nice weight. The tone is just a touch darker now, but it still has that classic stc-8 sound.

nice looking knobs !!!!
πŸ“ Reply