The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
what r u mastering on?
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

what r u mastering on?

I'm recording on nuendo and than send the virtual group busses to the desk and mix on the analog domain.
when i want to mix down i record it back on a stereo channel of the nuendo 24/44.1, i found out that the mixdown file sounds very queit comparing to how it sounds on the mixingboard, I wonder what is your master machin and what your explanation to the fact the my mixes before mixdown sound so much louder.
thanx
Old 1st May 2003

??????

Louder, quiter?

Maybe try monitoring through Nuendo as you are mixing down instead of in playback(after its been recorded). That way you will have no surprises.

I mix to 1/2",Masterlink and once in a while PT.
Old 1st May 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Check the input gain level on your A/D converters.

Otherwise, what thrill said. Masterlink, 1/2" and, if they want stems, maybe to PT as well.
Old 2nd May 2003
So what's up with Masterlink?
I've read a bit in the archives.
Is it still worth considering as a good mastering solution EVEN without something like Hedd in front?
Thanks for any tips, help or advice.
Old 2nd May 2003
The Masterlink is used mainly as digital storage device for your stereo signals.

I wouldn't master on it personally.

Its cheap and you can do 96K(aiff) so you can import it easily on a computer.

The converters are on the colored side, so i would still recommend a better converter.
Old 2nd May 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

The masterlink's converters are a bit on the bright side for me, but some people like that. Its converters and internal clock are still much better than the stock ones on most DAT machines.

Short of printing to analog tape, a Masterlink with an excellent external converter/clock is about as good as it gets. The quality of sound comes from the choice of external converter/clock...the Masterlink is just a very convenient way to store the result from 44.1/16 up to 96/24 (or 88.2/24, my prefered setting).
Old 3rd May 2003
I like it, but then I uses a Hedd as DA/AD for mine
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

I mix analog to my Masterlink. Jon's comment about the converter being on the bright side of life is absolutely true IMNSHO - but they are still better than most DAT recorders and PC soundcardsgrudge
If you're on a budget it's the way to go. I did a junior mastering on mine a week ago and the mixes don't sound as distorted as some major mastering jobs out there
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

I mix to the Masterlink from my Sony console with a digital connection. I've never heard the ML converters, and I never will. What makes it such a great mixdown tool is that you can record and store your 24 bit high sample rate song in there, ready for mastering, but you can burn a reference one-off with the push of a single button. It does all the SRC and bit depth conversion for you automatically and non-destructively, and even applies a decent dither. For final mastering, I transfer it to the computer. I personally don't think the onboard DSP sounds good enough for most high end mastering applications, but as a down and dirty tool in my studio, you'd have to pry it from my dead fingers. I might get a second one pretty soon...
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

I don't.

I create 24 bit stereo mixes by bouncing in Pro Tools, and then burn a CD with the data files for the client to take to a mastering studio.

For their own references and to do listening at home, I make 16 bit/44.1 stereo bounces dithered through Waves L2 plug-in and burn audio CD's using Masterlist CD. But i would never send those to a mastering house if I can help it.
Old 3rd May 2003
Thanks guy's.
I'm not looking for mastering 'on a budget'.
However, adding a HEDD severely ramps up the cost.
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

so would it sound much diffrent recording the mix from the analoge desk through hedd to masterlink rather than nuendo?
Old 3rd May 2003
What's the price on a HEDD in the UK or Europe?
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
What's the price on a HEDD in the UK or Europe?
around 4000 euro taxes included
Old 3rd May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Am I the only one here who is irritated by the heading, "what r u mastering on?"

I'm not going to complain about the grammar, but would it have taken THAT much time to type the other four letters?
Old 3rd May 2003
I take it you're not one of the texting generation then.
Never worked with Prince either?
LOL
Old 3rd May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
I take it you're not one of the texting generation then.
Never worked with Prince either?
LOL
Correct on both counts. And I'm apparently not part of the rap/hip hop crowd either, since I don't know what all the gestures mean. I know two hand signals - a thumbs up and an upraised middle finger - and neither appear to be used on MTV videos. I don't know what the hell these kids are doing these days with all that other stuff...
Old 5th May 2003
One with big hooves

I was going to say that for mastering I send it Brad Blackwood. If we can't afford to send it to him, I'll grab some choice gear (like the stereo EQP) out of the control room and do it in my second room.
Old 5th May 2003
Lives for gear

I mix from Nuendo into an O2R, 24 tracks via MOTU and then connect the AES/EBU master out of the console back into the desk's AES/EBU input, route the AES input to channels 17 & 18 in the digital IO page, float them off the stereo bus to stop feedback and then bus them
back to Nuendo, hence keeping the whole thing digital. No problem with levels, they appear as set.
Old 5th May 2003
Gear Addict

I run Pro Tools out to s/pdif in on an MBox connected to my laptop and print right to Peak @ 24 bits. Then I'll run 16 bit dubs for the client. I archieve the mixes on a big ol' FW drive. Sometimes I print back to PT.
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

Verified Member
My PT TDM Mix is connected to 2 adat bridges. Then, they go light piped to my 02R V2. There with CD8At slots, I do the mix with 32 discrete channels.

I send stereo mix buss to a spare stereo track inside my working
PT session, input 1/2, muted ( avoid feedback).

When I want to listen to the final product, I might solo the mix master track and output it to an unused stereo pair at the current 02R scene or call a #MASTERING SCENE.

Working always at 44.1/24 bits since 2001 after many years inisting on 48k/16 or 48k/24 frequency conversions.
Basically I use plugs like Q10, C4, Master X, Power dither. I have reached very nice results and even some nominations. Simple but quite good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search