The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LOUDNESS WARRIORS experience their first babtism of fire in Loudness War
Old 27th June 2009
Here for the gear

LOUDNESS WARRIORS experience their first babtism of fire in Loudness War

Having been a longtime follower of the discussions on the Gearslutz Mastering Forum I decided to call the project I founded with a friend 3 months ago LOUDNESS WARRIORS.
Now that we exposed the first piece of our art to the ears of the public we were immediately confronted with the reality of Loudness War.

The track is some music written to accompany a short trailer for a little movie festival organized by the owner of a some little movie theatres located south of Munich, Germany.
The visuals were done by a friend of mine who asked me if I wanted to do some music for it and I told him I would do some music with my new project LW.

Out came the following:

YouTube - FSFF Trailer 2009

After hearing it the cinema owner called my video friend to tell him the trailer did not have competitive loudness compared to other commercials shown in his cinemas. My friend who did the video had been to one of the cinemas to see how the trailer worked in reality. They had forgotten to switch the sound on for those commercials going from a server into a LCD video projector. Although there was no sound people stopped talking immediately to watch the beautifully done visuals. Nonetheless the guy wanted it LOUDER. One of the commercials I got for loudness reference measured -3 dB RMS peak on RME's Digicheck.

So I had the painful job to remaster our own work up to the point where distortions became rather unbearable and a lot of the intended dynamics in the piece were planished after having tried quite some time to achieve a pleasantly open-sounding mix and master. At least the Youtube link above keeps the “good” version.

By the way: The sloppiness of the first guitar recording was kept intentionally. Think: indie music for a indie festival.

Greetings from Munich, Germany

Joerg Weger aka GoldenEars Sound Balance Engineering aka fUNKYpUNK tafka RasJacko
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

so by a "good" youtube version you mean, still distorted, but not as much as the final version? that's a shame man, still great work, love the sloppy folk guitar, i hate new tight acoustic guitar sounds Joni Mitchell for me begins and ends that cool cool style. Good luck with the festival.

Old 28th June 2009
Gear Addict

I really like this trailer very much, visually and musically/soundwise!

Did you also do the sound design (running/breathing man, water splash)?

Beautiful how the guitar leads to the climax with these fast strums before the man is jumping.
And the underwater effect that's on the music at the end when the guy is underwater is a great idea!
Old 28th June 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbes View Post
I really like this trailer very much, visually and musically/soundwise!

Did you also do the sound design (running/breathing man, water splash)?

Beautiful how the guitar leads to the climax with these fast strums before the man is jumping.
And the underwater effect that's on the music at the end when the guy is underwater is a great idea!
Everything that you can hear on this trailer was done by LOUDNESS WARRIORS.

Most of sound fx we used were taken from a library CD as the original sound recordings of the cheap camera shooting the running man were not to good. The water splash was layered out of different splashes. The falling sound is a guitar "dive bomb" recorded by ourselves and played through a granular synthesis plugin.

All guitars were played by my musical partner TRON58ER6 on an acoustic guitar recorded through some analogue gear, he also played the bassline on a Korg MS20.

I did the sampled drum programming, played the underwater melody on a Roland Juno and did the mixdown and mastering "in the box".

The underwater effect is the mix run out of the box through an analogue LFO modulated lowpass filter recorded back into the computer.

After having done the MiDI programming in Apple SoundTrack, we did all the recording, mixing and mastering in Presonus Studio One Beta at 96k.
The difference a high sample rate recording makes is astonishing.

I can highly recommend Studio One to any ME as its 64bit floating point audio engine and the internal effect plugins sound amazing.

The video was recorded by HDTV and edited and animated by my good friend Pavel Broz of paveldesign who i a very gifted and creative graphics designer. He is momentarily rebuilding his website and working on logos for LOUDNESS WARRIORS and our other project HEAVY METAL DETÖXICATION.

If you liked what you saw and heard you should bookmark paveldesign's website and the myspace sites of LOUDNESS WARRIORS and HEAVY METAL DETÖXICATION. More musical content will come soon.

2 U all

Joerg Weger aka GoldenEars Sound Balance Engineering aka fUNKYpUNK tafka RasJacko

Don't waste time fighting the power and not believing the hype - BE THE HYPE!

LOUDNESS WARRIORS & HEAVY METAL DETÖXICATION

"If thou wilt be observant and vigilant, thou wilt see at every moment the response to thy action. Be observant if thou wouldst have a pure heart, for something is born to thee in consequence of every action."

Mawlana Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Balkhi a.k.a. Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

Persian poet

* 09/30/1207 in Balkh/Bactria, now Afghanistan
+ 12/17/1273 in Konya, now Turkey
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

The trailer/commercial peaks at -8dB LKFS (ITU-R BS.1770-1) but says nothing of standards.

There actually is a standard for trailers, but unfortunately some theaters don't enforce or self-comply the content they take in to those standards. Much less what they should be doing... rejecting anything that doesn't meet the standard (money talks, right?), like the MPAA does with their trailers.

TASA
Old 28th June 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncajesse View Post
The trailer/commercial peaks at -8dB LKFS (ITU-R BS.1770-1) but says nothing of standards.

There actually is a standard for trailers, but unfortunately some theaters don't enforce or self-comply the content they take in to those standards. Much less what they should be doing... rejecting anything that doesn't meet the standard (money talks, right?), like the MPAA does with their trailers.

TASA
@ uncajesse: Thanks a lot for the TASA link which might be helpful for LOUDNESS WARRIORS future work.

Joerg
Old 29th June 2009
Here for the gear

I forgot to mention that one vst plugin I used for mixing and mastering was ReaComp. This comp that can be downloaded here and is one of the most versatile and transparent plugin compressors I have ever come across.

Peace

Joerg
Old 30th June 2009
Here for the gear

I also forgot to share some important details about Presonus Studio One and especially the compressor that comes with it:

Studio One offers very easy-to-use sidechaining capabilities. As soon as you insert the compressor into a plugin slot (which is simply done by dragging it from the plugin browser either on the track in the arrange window or the according channel of the mixer resulting in immediate opening of the plugin GUI) you can route any other channel via aux to the sidechain of the compressor.

If you use the internal sidechain you get a lopass and a hipass filter that can be used to shape the sidechain signal to prevent the main signal from pumping especially through its low frequency content (kick drum and bassline normally).

That, the continiously variable knee characteristics and its transparent sound make S1's comp a true mastering tool IMHO.
Same with the EQ that comes with S1 (especially in High Quality mode).

I have never come across such a easy-to-use sound application before. If you are familiar with the Steinberg family of programs (the guys from Kristallabs who wrote S1 have also been the creators of Cubase SX and Nuendo before AFAIK) or Apple Logic (I know both) it is very easy to switch.

And no, I am not getting paid by Presonus to write this - I am only convinced through the practical use of Studio One.

Joerg aka GoldenEars Sound Balance Engineering aka fUNKYpUNK tafka RasJacko

PS. Being a longtime reggae-/dub-head I also like the name of the app. Studio One was also the name of the Jamaican studio where most of the classic ska tunes have been recorded, the basslines of which are getting used in reggae music to this day: Studio One Riddims.

"Give me, for my life,
all lives,
give me all the pain
of everyone,
I'm going to turn it into hope.
Give me
all the joys,
even the most secret,
because otherwise
how will these things be known?
I have to tell them,
give me
the labors
of everyday,
for that's what I sing"
Pablo Neruda

Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Addict

Excellent work. Well done!
Old 3rd July 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Seems like LOUDNESS WARRIORS are on the right track.

And thanks to all those that are sharing their knowledge on forums like Gearslutz.

In the beginning I was also one of those who think that those experienced mastering guys don't give away their secret formulas.

Now I know that every piece of music needs a different approach and that the only way is to develop your ears through experience. Then you will know what a certain piece of music needs. The techniques are explained in this forum.

Peace
Joerg
Old 16th July 2009
Here for the gear

There's a standard for trailers...but not for commercials. They can do whatever they want...sadly...just like today's music releases.

If only music had agreed-upon settings like movies do.
Old 16th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncajesse View Post

TASA
Wow!!!!

An actual standard? Why the **** can't the RIAA adopt a suggested standard.
Old 16th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsundergroun View Post
Wow!!!!

An actual standard? Why the **** can't the RIAA adopt a suggested standard.
If I answered that honestly, I could probably be sued for slander. heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search