The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Wave Editor - insert track silence?
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

Wave Editor - insert track silence?

I'm new to Wave Editor (1.4.4 being demoed right now)

I have a project all brought together with the intention of burning the premaster cd with it... I just got through figuring out track markers (harder than I thought), but now I want to make sure most (not all) the tracks have 2 seconds of silence in between them as per the artist's request... something iTunes does pretty easily... any suggestions? Forum searching here and @ audio-file engineering has turned up nothing. My track markers are right on top of each other (track end is on next track's beginning)...

Help! Time crunching over here and I'd love to get it done and out today with this program... It's definitely got the potential to be powerful, it's just very unclear.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I've been helping them with some beta testing so I have been putting it through it's paces.
You are best off creating your gap between the end mark of the previous track and the start mark of the next.
You can move the tracks outwards really easily as you go through the album, from the end of track one.
Get the gaps between the layers how you want them and then put the marks in afterwards.
The PQ list will end up showing the duration of each gap.

Wave Editor makes pretty well sorted DDP files that the mastering DAW's seem to have no problem reading.
These guys appear to have nailed the metadata issues!
I have still not tried them at the plant though!

This task seems to be a tough nut to crack for any of the other OSX DAW's!

The only thing that is not quite there yet is the playback.
The SRC seems to always be present on the output, so there is a loss of level control and the DAC will be seeing some overs.

Don't let this put you off though, as all exports and saves appear to be bit accurate!
I just can't believe how cheap this thing is!

Good luck to em!
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah - I spent like 4 hours (geez that sounds pitiful) trying to do this simple task... the trouble seems to be a "click to focus" thing, like in logic... you have to click in a certain place to "focus" what you're doing there... my solution was (for those who might read this later)

- open all 10 song files at once, in new layers apiece.
- visually check the end point of the song (ex: 02:24.45) and click on that layer in the layer drawer
- Then click in the waveform window (this was the trouble), and shift + command + click-n-drag the 2nd song til it looked about 2 seconds away. Clicking back and forth between layer one and two till the end point of #1 and the start point of #2 were 2 seconds apart... TEDIOUS
- Then I'd put in track markers at the beginning and end of the layers (aka SONGS) using "label" menu -> add label -> "tracks"
- Continue with Track 3 and so on...

The developer assures me they're working on workflow issues right now, and their forum even hints at a mastering-focused app in the future... If I had to do anymore in this program than what I did, I might shoot myself in the head It works great in the end, but MAN... It's just not designed for what we're doing with it - it's an afterthought. I want these tools and abilities in a streamlined, assembly-oriented program... I'm probably gonna buy (the tools I get for $79 are great), but I'm anxiously awaiting the next thing they crank out...

Off-topic... Rax 3 (future product on their website) has a demo video on Vimeo that made me go "whoa..." I play guitar and would love something like Rax3 for a live laptop-driven modeling rig.

-Matt
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Agreed, WE is awesome for editing audio, but or compiling CD masters like this, it can be very time consuming. The tools are all there, it's just not that user friendly at times. Still my main choice, just waiting to see what they come up with in the dedicated mastering app that hopefully makes this easier.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
After mastering it, I can throw an album together, PQ it, label it all up and make a set of DDP's in less than 20 mins on Wave Editor.
PMCD is a little quicker but once you nail Wave Editor it's pretty easy!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search