The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
PSP Xenon = can it go loud?
Old 30th August 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
You can use the right mouse button to do the in gain and the out goes the other way

Doh! I always forget about that, thanks for the reminder.
Old 30th August 2010
Lives for gear

I've been finding myself using Ozone 4's limiter in intelligent II mode a lot as of recent, especially when the loud thing is needed. I also own Xenon and Elephant. I really wish Ozone's limiter had a stereo link feature though.
Old 30th August 2010
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoRausch View Post
I've read about Voxengo's programmer doesn't care of ISP's and oversampling just helps a bit.
AFAIK Xenon does it by doing 2x Oversampling so if the Elephant can't catch ISPs', Xenon certainly can't.

Alistair
Old 30th August 2010
Lives for gear

I use both Oxford Limiter and Elephant in AGC mode. Oxford is good at preserving punch without pumping,
but sometimes you get distortion. Elephant produces usually negligible distortion but maybe more pumping,
you can crank it up very far.
Old 30th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORT View Post
I use Flux Pure Limiter II. This is a very good and transparent limiter.
I use it too, and agree that it is a very clean limiter. It's light on artifacts and the coloration isn't overbearing. In terms of sound it's probably the best I have tried.

HOWEVER, unless you set it pretty aggressively (which obviously increases coloration) it lets some peaks through. Especially noticeable on mixes with heavy kick/snare.

I'm currently limiter shopping and am really digging the Elephant demo.
Old 31st August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
AFAIK Xenon does it by doing 2x Oversampling so if the Elephant can't catch ISPs', Xenon certainly can't.

Alistair

Xenon is optimized for limiting ISP's. X-ISM proves that... Just try it out.

Elephant is not otimized, just profits of its oversampling (but I don't think it's the same). http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3276391
Old 31st August 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Geeze I don't think I've ever set my Xenon to more than 1 or 2 dB limiting, maybe 3 dB on rare occasions.
More than that the sound of most any limiter turns to shyte ime.

I prefer to hit the Lavry ADC a little harder instead.

JT
Old 31st August 2010
Lives for gear

If you already hit the adc (hard) before the limiter it will be hard to go beyond 1-2 dB, indeed.
Old 31st August 2010
It's true that some guys don't using limiters. They push the gain very high and record that analog to a high end converter. Infected Mushroom is working like this (they using a Prism converter)...
Old 1st September 2010
Lives for gear

Clipping converters is not very different to limiting. But if you clip or limit you have to deal with ISP's anyway if you want to deliver a good master.
Old 1st September 2010
Lives for gear

how do you guys feel it works on transient heavy stuff, hiphop etc?

thanks for this thread and to Dave Davis, that was helpful. i'll try it out now.

i've always been unhappy with the level i could get from Xenon - perhaps i'm using it incorrectly.
Old 2nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Xenon offers you 3 different modes how it works on transients. So you have 3 options to choose the best from. In my mind the differences are not that much but it can help a bit.

Hip hop means to me you will probably have lots of (sub-)bass and so you will have problems with every limiter.

Have you been happy with others limiters on your mixes?
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear Maniac

PSP Xenon = can it go loud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoRausch
If you already hit the adc (hard) before the limiter it will be hard to go beyond 1-2 dB, indeed.
+1!

I usually go 1 - 2 dB max with the Elephant and usually in El-uni mode (more transparent to me).
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aivoryuk View Post
I've found with xenon that it doesn't cope with a already high level going into it so i like to back off the output of what has come before and then make up the gain in the xenon, sounds much cleaner to me.
+1 I am doing this myself, pre-staging the gain to around -6db on the channel meter in PT10 - definitely sounds cleaner. What level are you staging it to?
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
2009 up to 2013

We are in 2013 and PSP Xenon Still is my main limiter.
Sometimes, I combine it with L3 Ultra, instead of TC Brickwall Limiter II.
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankencat View Post
+1 I am doing this myself, pre-staging the gain to around -6db on the channel meter in PT10 - definitely sounds cleaner. What level are you staging it to?
Strange - that doesn't make sense to me! It shouldn't make any different if is -2 or -8.

A few years on, I still use Xenon because it can still get you to reasonable levels without much fuss, and I already own it, so I just got on with things. However i recently found that the FabFilter Pro-L is 'better' for me - quite simply it can 'go louder'. On the transparent setting it preserves the punch of the kick and snare like the Xenon can't, and I usually am working with transient heavy stuff.

I'm still used to the 'clamping down' and gluing effect of the Xenon though.

Though I nearly always put the Xenon after the Pro-L as a safety net to catch the overs that the Pro-L doesn't catch with 4x over sampling on.

I've been using the demo of Pro-L and now it's up I'll have to buy it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search