The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Lady Gaga "Poker Face" who mastered.
Old 18th June 2009
Lady Gaga "Poker Face" who mastered.

Wondering who mastered the track "Poker Face" for Lady Gaga?
I'm intriqued by the way the beat swings so evenly. A very nice job that I'm sure was keenly intentional. Kudos
I would guess Sterling cause she's from New York but you never know.

Anyone with the right info?
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

the 7" vinyl run was done at Finyl Tweek (formerly Heathmans)

Finyl Tweek - Lady Gaga - Pokerface Still @ Number 1
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Nut

Gene Grimaldi
Old 18th June 2009
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
i think you're hearing the production, not the mastering.
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Heavy View Post
the 7" vinyl run was done at Finyl Tweek (formerly Heathmans)
Probably just the UK release, they wouldn't have mastered the A side. I bet whoever mastered the album & single tracks is annoyed they haven't got a mention anywhere...not one I can find with a quick discogs search anyway!
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

I wouldn't have an opinion on the mastering at all, in a creative sense, until I had heard the unmastered version too. Any opinion before that is pure speculation.
Old 18th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mappee View Post
Yes that can be a fine line between the two. What I'm hearing, (and seeing), is a very controlled wave in the lows/lomids. I feel Gene Grimaldi caught the groove and accented it in a very musical way.
OK it had to be there in the production obviously, but the master engineer found the magic and played it out to a smooth perfection. And ain't that the part of mastering that almost never gets talked about...that real musical sense
Sometimes it's the mastering engineer's job to hear that and know to leave it alone!
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
What I'm hearing, (and seeing),
Seeing?

???
Old 18th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeoctane View Post
Sometimes it's the mastering engineer's job to hear that and know to leave it alone!
Yes yes yes....Conversely:
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rappinghood View Post
I bet whoever mastered the album & single tracks is annoyed they haven't got a mention anywhere...not one I can find with a quick discogs search anyway!
try the CD booklet
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aivoryuk View Post
try the CD booklet

Those are still around? How quaint.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
Those are still around? How quaint.
Thank God.

I'd be lost without the booklets...
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aivoryuk View Post
try the CD booklet
Yes, that would involve me buying it which is something I would never do as I can't stand the bl**dy song! I couldn't see Gene Grimaldi's name on any online listings but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. FWIW I sincerely doubt he had anything to do with the 'swing of the beat' as the OP mentions
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Just thought I would point out:

allmusic

For those who do not know.

You can get credits for practically any album. A simple search of "Lady Gaga" led me to the credits for the album the song Poker Face is on, you can than bring up all the credits for the album (Matering Engineer, Mixing, Producer, Arranger, Engineer, Artwork, Bass Player, etc).

Its a great resource!
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric View Post
Just thought I would point out:

allmusic

For those who do not know.

You can get credits for practically any album.
It's a great resource all in all, but don't count on entries to be correct.

An example: Allmusic lists some of the things I've worked on (emphasis on some... non-US releases are largely ignored) split between two different people, none of which is me. One of them even has a nickname attached (Robin "El Skid" Schmidt ... does that mean anything?)
Unfortunately, they don't bother correcting their entries (I've asked them twice using their provided submission forms). Other sites like MSN, Answers.com, Barnes & Noble, etc. are using the allmusic database information on their web site too. I guess "El Skid" will be my name from now on then.

Another site for info on credits is Discogs - Database and Marketplace for Music on Vinyl, CD, Cassette, MP3 and More . The Downside is that it's newer than Allmusic and thus not as complete. The upside is it's an open to corrections.
Old 19th June 2009

Verified Member
Quote:
Thanks Ditherman

Oh yeah...so it's total West Coast and very interesting. Fusari is a Jersey guy and Steph is NYC so how did that happen?

The beat in Poker Face swings so smooth it caught my attention. The bass/snare has what appears to be a rolling motion that I've not noticed before. Very hypnotic to the listener.

If Gene could address this I'd be interested to know more about this technique and how it was achieved at Oasis.

Delta Heavy I'll have to check that Finyl 7"
"borrowing"?
Old 20th June 2009

Verified Member
Quote:
...snip...
No she's not earth shaking original in anything but it's a cool package for today's market.
....snip....
heh agree. a very successful package anyway.

cheers thumbsup

Last edited by Reptil; 20th June 2009 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: trimmed
Old 20th June 2009
Here for the gear

Am I incorrect that you wish to know who programmed the drums and/or produced the track? Call me old school but mastering has nothing to do with the "swing" of a performance, unless it is done incorrectly.
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Ok maybe it is not 100% correct all the time but my point was I could find who mastered Lady Gaga "Poker Face" in under a minute with allmusic.com (and millions of other albums). Its a great resource.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does anyone know what happened to the S on the word "spades" in the 1st verse? Sounds a bit overloaded right there. Ah but who knew it would be a hit.
Sure. It was clipped and whatever clipped it didn't have proper filtering, so you get splatter downwards which causes esses to sound like effs.

A great test of this is "Natalie Cole - As Time Goes By" which should not sound like "A kiff if juft a kiff" heh. Good to compare clipping methods with, seeing which method/device/code/whatever can win for clarity at various amounts of clipping. The acoustic bass on that track also gets brutalized by most clippers.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncajesse View Post
It was clipped and whatever clipped it didn't have proper filtering, so you get splatter downwards which causes esses to sound like effs.

A great test of this is "Natalie Cole - As Time Goes By" which should not sound like "A kiff if juft a kiff"
To much gain reduction or abuse from frequency dependent compression (DeEsser) on a vocal track gives you the same effect. Lisp.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

It can, if the voice has some eff component of the sibilant. Or if the de-esser is "sub par"... that in and of itself could be causing a clipping-esc dynamics change, and the filtering would come into play just as much there too. But even if it's not generating more eff component, it can make it sound like it is just from the reduction in actual clean sibilant. indeed.
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Addict

That swing is at the production level, not mastering. Its caused by the relationship between the kick and the snare, the decays and release primarily. Also the placement of the snare/clap in relation to the kick, usually slid a few ms's off beat, with a bit of a longer release on the snare/clap through compression. It is common in Deep House and House music.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Explanation sounds reasonable Taco. I do wish mr Grimaldi would address this issue so we can know if he played this groove up on the mastering end or if he left well enough alone. Most posters point to the production but I'm supicious of treatment in the mastering process.
The only way I can think of, how mastering could affect the rhythm of a tracks groove would be dependent on how the attack and release times of the mastering compressor would be set to maybe compliment any syncopation that already exist.

This and how you would globally eq the B & D riddem, but in most if not all instances, these are already considerations.
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
The beat in Poker Face swings so smooth it caught my attention. The bass/snare has what appears to be a rolling motion that I've not noticed before. Very hypnotic to the listener.
Try as I might, just can't hear this at all.
Old 23rd June 2009
Here for the gear

Gaga's Poker Face

Poker Face was pretty straight forward the usual... added some lows, mids, and highs that's about it. I had nothing to do with the swing of the track. I hope this helps.

I've been meaning to join gearslutz, it's great site for anyone interested in music engineering and production.
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

I believe the producer for the song was "Red One" who is one of the founders of Ram Raiders, a drum 'n bass production team from the UK. And yes, this album was intended to be a dance hit album.
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.g. View Post
Poker Face was pretty straight forward the usual... added some lows, mids, and highs that's about it. I had nothing to do with the swing of the track. I hope this helps.

I've been meaning to join gearslutz, it's great site for anyone interested in music engineering and production.
Welcome! Thanks for joining
Old 23rd June 2009
I found only this credits:

Credits: Artwork By [Design] - Irene Silva
Executive Producer - Vincent Herbert
Mixed By - Robert Orton
Other [A & R] - Martin Kierszenbaum , Vincent Herbert
Photography - Meeno
Producer - RedOne
Written-By - Lady Gaga , RedOne
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Set Surgeon View Post
I believe the producer for the song was "Red One" who is one of the founders of Ram Raiders, a drum 'n bass production team from the UK. And yes, this album was intended to be a dance hit album.
interesting

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search