The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Funktion 1 Soundsystems
Old 24th May 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Funktion 1 Soundsystems

Right, it seems these are the soundsystems that the clubs are getting in right left and centre and I have heard pretty ranging sound from the apparent same system (isn't it funny how a club can spend thousands on equipment but not learn how to set limiters and crossovers).

My question is really if anyone has been mastering club/dance music as club soundsystems and trends have changed and has any pearls of wisdom and/or anicdotal (sp?!) comment about how these effect how you approach a master?

I recently DJed at a club with a very nicely set up Funktion 1 and a couple of the DJs were playing tunes I masterd and I was very intrigued by the differences between these and tunes mastered at popular houses for the style of music in question (very bassy Dubstep and Techno), ironically I hold a residency on a weeknight at another club with the "same" soundsystem which sounds like horsecrap...
Old 25th May 2009
Gear Maniac
I think the old law of leaving plenty dynamics to the material works best with F1. I've found that function one systems makes many mediocre sounding tracks kicks serious ass when played ... The feat is probably getting them sound good on worse systems.

2c
Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Cut nice fat analog records at 45RPM, and under 6mins then you don't need limiters and compression to the max. I have setup Alpha Dynacord and played on Turbo sound and funktion 1 and just about anything in between. I did a **** load of dub plates before I made my final decision that less compression = better sound. On 30K+ watts of sound the last thing you need is to limit. Compression on snares or drums for effect is another story.

The Berghain has an excellent system where you hear the details. I also highly recommend Nilz at The Exchange for cutting if your production is up to par.

Please excuse me but this stuff always gets my attention.
Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 807Recordings View Post
The Berghain has an excellent system where you hear the details.
I lost 2 days of my life at Berghain
Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

It is amazing how good it sounds in Berghain considering the overall room size. Its like another world between that system.

Smart Bar in Chicago also has a good F1 system where recently I was able to test out my own dub plate cuts and mastering.

Translation is key for all playback systems.
A good production will sound amazing on a good club system. Test on as many setups as possible.
Old 3rd November 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 807Recordings View Post
Cut nice fat analog records at 45RPM, and under 6mins then you don't need limiters and compression to the max. I have setup Alpha Dynacord and played on Turbo sound and funktion 1 and just about anything in between. I did a **** load of dub plates before I made my final decision that less compression = better sound. On 30K+ watts of sound the last thing you need is to limit. Compression on snares or drums for effect is another story.

The Berghain has an excellent system where you hear the details. I also highly recommend Nilz at The Exchange for cutting if your production is up to par.

Please excuse me but this stuff always gets my attention.
What would you say is a good RMS level for a track with less compression how you described it?
Old 3rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
I very much intend to one day!
Old 3rd November 2010
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Funktion 1 Soundsystems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietrich10
It is amazing how good it sounds in Berghain considering the overall room size. Its like another world between that system.

Smart Bar in Chicago also has a good F1 system where recently I was able to test out my own dub plate cuts and mastering.

Translation is key for all playback systems.
A good production will sound amazing on a good club system. Test on as many setups as possible.
(see below....iPhone app playing up!)
Old 3rd November 2010
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Funktion 1 Soundsystems

Mint Club in Leeds Uk has a great Funktion 1, really clean, not fatiguing and you really feel the kick drum whack you in the chest. Probably the best and cleanest club sound system I've ever heard to be honest. I fund some clubs go way overboard with bass and, without wanting to sound like a grandad, have it just too loud (valve sound system springs to mind.) Clear and punchy (and a good Dj of course) Is what keeps the crowd going till the early hours
Old 3rd November 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietrich10 View Post
It is amazing how good it sounds in Berghain considering the overall room size.
Too true. Went to the Rephlex Records night a few weeks back. The time I didn't spend dancing was spent trying to figure out how they get a space like this...

...to sound so tight.
Old 3rd November 2010
Gear Nut

I played several times in Mint, Berghain and some other F1 system clubs around the globe, and to be honest, everytime a promoter tell me "we have a nice F1 system" i start worrying about it. I love Berghain and mint, but it seems very dificult to find a correct F1 installation, don´t know why. I think it is a more suitable system for big venues, it feels a bit "middy" and harsh kind of "Rave" sometimes in smaller venues. There is a club in Madrid with a Top class F1 PA system, but horrible instalation, they had lot of problems and now they are switching to Martin. What i like from Martin is that they always take care by themselves for the installation, Robert Johnson in Offenbach or Fabric in London have both Martin and sound clear and warm, nice PA´s to me. Anyway i think D&B is the one i like the most, but difficult to find in electronic music clubs.
Old 3rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
This made me laugh. I can just say "You did everything right" then
Old 4th November 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by damianschwartz View Post
I played several times in Mint, Berghain and some other F1 system clubs around the globe, and to be honest, everytime a promoter tell me "we have a nice F1 system" i start worrying about it. I love Berghain and mint, but it seems very dificult to find a correct F1 installation, don´t know why. I think it is a more suitable system for big venues, it feels a bit "middy" and harsh kind of "Rave" sometimes in smaller venues. There is a club in Madrid with a Top class F1 PA system, but horrible instalation, they had lot of problems and now they are switching to Martin. What i like from Martin is that they always take care by themselves for the installation, Robert Johnson in Offenbach or Fabric in London have both Martin and sound clear and warm, nice PA´s to me. Anyway i think D&B is the one i like the most, but difficult to find in electronic music clubs.

I have seen you play a few times and you play the systems well.

Its not the Funktion 1 that makes it but rather it is the design. When I worked in Toronto we had an Alpha Dynacord system in an old theatre and it could easily go head to head with the Berghain. Maybe better actually, but the music was more house. GSA has done some good sound, the old Twilo in NYC was Turbo (I think Phason?) excuse my spelling or names and it also was just a clear, and so on.

A little side joke we had was when people asked how much power we where running they would always guess over 100K watts. Fact was we ran 16K max and it never got close to clipping.
Old 4th November 2010
Gear Addict
Quote:
you must have been at lustmord.....
Old 4th November 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
These guys have designed some excellent sounding boxes.

Noise Control Audio Ltd -INDEX -
Old 4th November 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietrich10 View Post
Agreed, they have it set up really well. One of the best systems I've ever played on, always makes the night that much more fun when you're not fighting the sound system.
Old 5th November 2010
Lives for gear

gotta add props to Gary Stewart Audio!!

superior circuitry(pure) isnt always the greatest experience with sound, there's a reason why SM58's are the most popular live vocal mics, or why super microscopic detailed monitors aren't always best to enjoy music on. Its that combination of install design, planning and building components that offer a bridge between the best and not so best(old skool+new skool that gets great club sound, just as two sets of monitors are best for mixing. its about harmony. And this is exactly what sets GSA apart from the rest and always satisfies. anyway very curious to hear his new creation at District 36 in nyc very soon If they ever finally open

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search