The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Should you attend a mastering session ?
Old 31st August 2009
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowteeth View Post
Hi, i`m having some tracks mastered by Ray Staff @ Alchemy. Should i be there for the whole session or would it be better to leave them to it ? Ray comes to me highly recommended from various bands / producers so i`m sure that i can trust his ears.
"Trust" is a word that makes more sense after you have a relationship and they know your specific tastes. Some of my clients have very specific needs, some let me do my thing. But trust is case specific and takes a relationship. So if you have needs, and can attend, then attend. Bring refs to learn the room because it's going to sound good, but still be new to you in the subtleties. If you're working at-a-distance then get a sample and make comments.

Any record can be considered 'well mastered' in a dozen ways, easy. If you have something in mind, get involved.
Old 1st September 2009
Lives for gear

really in the end, all that matters is whether or not your mastering engineer has instincts that work for you....instead of wasting a whole bunch of time and energy trying to communicate...just send one off with no instructions and see what comes back. You'll know real quick.
Old 1st September 2009
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by glissando View Post
really in the end, all that matters is whether or not your mastering engineer has instincts that work for you....instead of wasting a whole bunch of time and energy trying to communicate...just send one off with no instructions and see what comes back. You'll know real quick.
You're right about instincts matching, but a little info goes a long way and is never a waste of time. Subtleties matter.
Old 1st September 2009
Gear Maniac

Personally I like to work alone. In my experiences it goes much quicker and you can concentrate yourself more on the tracks.
How many times did we get the question "can I hear the original again?"
Or the whole band is coming.

But it also can be nice. You met a lot of nice people and sometimes real nice people from who you can learn too.
I can imagine that an engineer likes to hear a project in a different room.

Right know I am concentrating myself on E mastering. Clients from the past know me and will have no problem with it.
If everything goes well, I will build a mastering room in the northeast in Brasil.
Internet is stable.

And if the client wants to come over then they probably will be swimming with the dolphins instead of staying in my mastering room I guess :-)
Old 1st September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicana View Post
Personally I like to work alone. In my experiences it goes much quicker and you can concentrate yourself more on the tracks.
How many times did we get the question "can I hear the original again?"
Or the whole band is coming.

But it also can be nice. You met a lot of nice people and sometimes real nice people from who you can learn too.
I can imagine that an engineer likes to hear a project in a different room.

Right know I am concentrating myself on E mastering. Clients from the past know me and will have no problem with it.
If everything goes well, I will build a mastering room in the northeast in Brasil.
Internet is stable.

And if the client wants to come over then they probably will be swimming with the dolphins instead of staying in my mastering room I guess :-)
"swimmimg with the fish"?....
Old 1st September 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I see this thread started in 2005 but the basics haven't changed, as others have posted.

WRT Ray, I first met him in 1980 when he was the resident cutter at Trident Studios. He's a lovely chap, and anyone who sits in with him is guaranteed to learn something - he has that ease of communication often found in those who are very good at what they do. The only downside, really, is that the swine doesn't appear to have aged a day, but what can you do?
Old 1st September 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by glissando View Post
"swimmimg with the fish"?....
claro

You never did this? Its incredible important to swim first with the fish before you do any mastering job. I do.
If there is no dolphin around then you can buy a little aquarium and put your feet or hand in it before you do the job.
Every respected mastering engineer has at least one aquarium.

Be carefull with piranha's.
Old 1st September 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Be carefull with piranha's.
I had some Pacu's which I didn't know were close cousin's with the Piranha until they started eating the other fish once they got to about 6 inches. I'm told they're good in Brazilian fish stew. Now the most aggressive I get is the Bala Shark or Cichlid.
Old 3rd September 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
I had some Pacu's which I didn't know were close cousin's with the Piranha until they started eating the other fish once they got to about 6 inches. I'm told they're good in Brazilian fish stew. Now the most aggressive I get is the Bala Shark or Cichlid.
Be carefull with piranha's and their family :-)

I live part time in brasil north east and in holland/amsterdam.
My kids are right know in brasil and I am in Holland.
One of them (he is 13 years old and speaks fluent dutch) is fishing every morning at 6 o clock in the morning in the ocean (26 degrees). Our kitchen there is full of fish.

He walks into the ocean till his breasth (is that the right word?) to get the fish.
Last time he told me he saw a dolphin 10 meters from him away.
I asked him, ARE YOU SURE IT WAS A DOLPHIN??? He answered me............I hope.
I love brasil and I love my kid.
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
He walks into the ocean till his breasth (is that the right word?) to get the fish.
Last time he told me he saw a dolphin 10 meters from him away.
I asked him, ARE YOU SURE IT WAS A DOLPHIN??? He answered me............I hope.
I love brasil and I love my kid.
good story ..... nice one ..
Old 3rd September 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl View Post
good story ..... nice one ..
Thanks Wim.
Sorry, I know it has nothing to do with this forum but I miss these little guys.
Old 6th September 2009
Lives for gear

I was thinking "swimming with the fish" care of Tony Soprano....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search