The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
To Manley Massive Passive EQ users Equalisers (HW)
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
To Manley Massive Passive EQ users

Can anyone comment the prons and cons of this high-end Eq?
What are your experiences?

I am starting to have an eye on something similar, to complement my analog chain (Hedd 192 >OCL2 >Ibis EQ).

Thanks
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
For the money, it's a very creative EQ, I would even say quite unique. Excels more in the midrange area, low end isn't super tight but perfectly useful. Plenty of mastering studios have one and don't complain.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Nice. I have heard people comment on different forums that even with bypass engaged it has some specific colour going on, but it sweetens the mids (harsh material), pretty common on "overdigital productions".
Old 5th September 2008

Verified Member
Pleasant, but not precise. Bands interact; tweaking band two can change what you already set for band one. Always colored, never neutral. As a second piece for its sound, great, but not as a primary EQ for mastering.

We have one and I hardly touch it honestly. I use my trusty Manley Vari-mu all the time though. I find that to be the better place to add color, and I prefer to keep my EQ more neutral. That's just my taste; the MP is definitely a nice box. If you don't already have a color piece, this is worth considering.
Old 5th September 2008
Guaranteed color...

I find I rarely "boost" any band by a lot, typically a maximum of 10:00 (sorry, our massive passive doesn't indicate how many db you're boosting or cutting).

The HPF filter is excellent

The high shelf, set at 16k, is amazing for repairing tracks that experienced poor digital conversion. Gotta play with the Q to dial it in right, though. I use it in mastering for this function alone, sometimes.

Not the most versatile eq, but the few things I use it for I have not found other tools to do equally well.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

it is not that colored actually, I've done some blind-tests and had a real hard time to tell the difference listening to the audio path without MP vs with the MP.
That is without any band or filters in. So the tube amp and transformers in / outs don't color that much.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

+1 for the HP filter...

had one in my mix buss chain for a couple years on and off and have used them in mastering as well.

sold mine and bought an A-Designs Hammer which is much more to my liking (a way less expensive)

i find the hammer to be much better on the top end, less hifi-synthetic like the manley and way more natural, airy and open. it also has nice mids and limited but usable lows.

NEITHER of these units have the low-end voodoo of a real pultec peq and i think that the manley "pultec on steriods" speil is utter rubbish. pultec owners who have also used the massivo would be sure to agree.

you've got precision w/ the Ibis... i'd go for natural-ness w/ your tube eq, something to use in conjunction w/ the Ibis... in that case, why get an over-fiddley massivo?

do surgery w/ the Ibis then breath in sparkle and openess/ life w/ the hammer.

at the very least DEMO BOTH!!!

i do think the massivo would be a mistake and i know a lot of mastering rooms where they just sit there unused.

flame on me now, manley owners.

my opinion is simply formed from owning both and using both extensively.

if you haven't done this, please turn your burners on low
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Addict
I used to work in a tracking room who had two mono Manley 'pultec type' eqs and also two Pultec eqp-1a3s. Have to say I wasn't that keen on them (Manleys) but totally fell in love with the Pultecs. The Manleys just didn't do the trick with bass, vox, 2 buss in a way the Pultec really excelled. I got some nice results with the Manleys though: great mid-frequency boost for electric gtrs, nice to add some top (quite harsh) to percussion tracks to really cut through...

But.. times change.. a few years later I started working for my mate's mastering place who has the 2u (stereo/dual) version of the 'pultec type'. He also has Api 5500 and I have to say those two work really well together. Now I'm using the Manley mostly on 30Hz & 12-16kHz... all the other frequencies get treated with the Api. Maybe it's the room? Maybe it's the monitoring? Or maybe it's just me? Yes, I really like them now. Then again I don't have a pair of real Pultecs to compare with but they definitely do a nice job.

My 2 cents.
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Addict
Apologies.. I just realized I was talking about a wrong unit. Guess I need more sleep.. Take care.
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Addict

I've been looking at getting either a Massive Passive, an Inward Connections DEQ-1, or a PassEQ from SPL. I'm currently using mostly ITB EQ's for precision (Flux Epure, AirEQ from Eiosis, Massenburg's MDW EQ 3, and Waves' Renaissance EQ). I'd like something with color that can also serve my purposes for mixing, and these three have been on my want-list for quite a while. Any direct comparisons or experiences?
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo View Post
I use my trusty Manley Vari-mu all the time though. I find that to be the better place to add color, and I prefer to keep my EQ more neutral.
Amen !!
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I use my MP on about 60% of my masters. I also have the Masalec MEA-2, also used a lot, and the Weiss EQ1 Dyn, not used as much. The latter I use almost exclusively for its excellent dynamic eq.

I also make use of my TC 6000's eq but mostly in M/S situations plus the MDW plug-in gets used when automation is necessary.

I'd love to have the time (and incentive) to try other eqs but I'm very happy with my selection and the MP is an integral part of my analog loop.
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Had one for a year or so, not a fan. Great mids eq for mixing.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Thanks, guys.
In fact a more neutral/surgical second eq would be fine to eliminate the usage ofany further digital plug-ins ITB.

I like gear that has the colour option, like the Ibis EQ and the Hedd 192.

Seems I ought to go in another direction, but budget is somewhat limited to
U$3200 and can not test all this stuff where Ilive.
Old 6th September 2008
How much would a pair of Empirical Lil FreQs set you back? Are they available down in Brazil?
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I have never seen them around here!
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

I vote for checking out the Hammer as well. Sounds awesome in my chain. Well within your budget, and would probably be a great compliment to the Ibis.
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Hammer only has 3 bands per channel, right?

The above mentioned eqs from SPL and Inward are really impressive!
Old 10th September 2008
Gear Addict

Haven't had a chance to listen or compare them to the Manley. Heard lots of great reviews on the Inward Connections, but not much on the PassEQ. Would love to hear some feedback - it seems like it would be very musical and interactive between bands. Having owned a couple of pieces of SPL gear, I have a feeling it might be a good EQ for a silky top-end color instead of the bite of the Massive Passive... but that's just a guess, really. They might actually be very complimentary pieces.
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

The Massive Passive never gets old to me. The cuts and the filters are the most natural of anything I have heard. It sounds great, looks great, and is fun to use.
Old 11th September 2008
JTR
Lives for gear

MP is a great general purpose production Eq - very characterful (setting aside the Pultec topic), and quite flexible in its own way; 4 bands plus lpf / hpf is nice.

Wouldn't recommend it as primary mastering Eq for 3 reasons:

1] not tone neutral; subtle, but perceptible upper mid-range lift when engaged & all bands bypass

2] imprecise bass bands; cannot get tight and carve low end when needed

3] finicky hi band response - good sounding, but can be touchy

Unless you are looking for a unit that imparts it's own character on your masters, would suggest looking elsewhere:

Used GML 8200 for instance.
Much more precise, esp. in bass. Ignore criticisms about its high band sounding "glassy": That's the result of heavy-handed users, not the fault of the GML.
Can be found for low to mid $3k; if you're willing to wait: Owners tend to keep them.
Old 11th September 2008
I think the Massive Passive is great as a secondary EQ. I keep mine wired in as stereo/MS switchable. Fantastic for bringing out a vocal in the middle of the image or adding nice mids to panned electrics. I will also sometimes put it in the path with no EQ because it has a nice musical presence to it. It's not what I reach for the most but it's great to have on the toolbox.
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Power Supply

THanks!
I was taking a look at the GML EQ boxes and they need 2 power supplies! U$500 for a power suplly? the ultimate UPS?
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alécio Costa View Post
THanks!
I was taking a look at the GML EQ boxes and they need 2 power supplies! U$500 for a power suplly? the ultimate UPS?
Nope! Try the Requisite L2M MKIII Tube Compressor/Limiter. It has a tube power supply which costs $1,500.!!!
Old 12th September 2008
JTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alécio Costa View Post
THanks!
8200 use a single power supply; you're thinking of the 9500, which costs considerably more.

I suggested the 8200 because it fits your price range, if you source a used unit.
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTR View Post
8200 use a single power supply; you're thinking of the 9500, which costs considerably more.

I suggested the 8200 because it fits your price range, if you source a used unit.
Hi fellas,

The 9500 is a certainly a cost-no-object device but you *can* run it off of only one of the GML psu's if you have to. Two PSU's, presumably, measure better? If ya can even hear it? Maybe..

*(I use these GML's PSU's on a whole bunch of things... they're ok. Nothing crazy inside)
Old 20th May 2014
Lives for gear

My usual mastering hardware EQs are Hammer, EM-PEQ, and BAX

would a Massive Passive be good for midrange sculpting? (along with those other 3)

Old 23rd May 2014
Gear Nut

Totally!, I have the BAX and the Massive, together sound great!
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

what other hardware EQs do people like for midrange sculpting?
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Thermionic Culture Pullet, absolutely fantastic for mid range shaping, one boost and one cut per channel (plus a high shelf which I've modified to be twice a subtle as it comes stock).
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search