The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
To Manley Massive Passive EQ users Equalisers (HW)
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
what other hardware EQs do people like for midrange sculpting?
Doing most of my mid-range work with a Mini-Massive and Buzz REQ. Couldn't be happier.
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Hatfield View Post
Doing most of my mid-range work with a Mini-Massive and Buzz REQ. Couldn't be happier.
when you push:

- manley massivo and mini massive is great to make a bit limp track more upfront

- gyraf g14 is great to warm up a mix

- soma mids let a mix shine and/or make him broad

- api mids make a mix punchier

- neve mids make a mix bigger

- poter mids make a mix more direct

- buzz mids give a mix a trendy touch

- digital eq's give a mix more mids

when you dip:

- manley massivo and mini massive is great to make a bit aggressiv track smoother or a overfilled track a bit less messy

- gyraf g14 is great to clean a overfilled mix

- soma can take gentle annoying aspects away and/or adjust to prominet areas

- api relax a track

- neve give a frequenzy area less importance

- poter act like a ghost, the problems are solved but you nearly didn't notice why

- buzz stay organic

- digital eq's give a mix less mids
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post

haha
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
when you push:

- manley massivo and mini massive is great to make a bit limp track more upfront

- gyraf g14 is great to warm up a mix

- soma mids let a mix shine and/or make him broad

- api mids make a mix punchier

- neve mids make a mix bigger

- buzz mids give a mix a trendy touch

when you dip:

- manley massivo and mini massive is great to make a bit aggressiv track smoother or a overfilled track a bit less messy

- gyraf g14 is great to clean a overfilled mix

- soma can take gentle annoying aspects away and/or adjust to prominet areas

- api relax a track

- neve give a frequenzy area less importance

- poter act like a ghost, the problems are solved but you nearly didn't notice why

- buzz stay organic

analog eqs can have such a different sound/texture depending on boost or cut.
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
when you push:

when you dip:

Old 4th August 2014
Massive Passive Mastering

Hi

I like colour.

Most (not all records) I do are not mixed on a board, a lot are ITB with a something on the 2 buss or a summing, some are purely ITB.

I find colour is what the Dr ordered ;-)

I use a GML (always lined up via a scope and with tones as it HAS to be done this way if you don't have the cash for the 9500) for low end and precision + that glassy shine above 16Khz that I love.

The Manley is a dream with that EQ.

Nothing can put body in a vocal without sounding choked like the MP, nothing brings out the midrange, puts definition on a bass of guitars, like the MP.

The masterings version filters are very handy as an alternative to digital ones.

The tone and phase varies tremendously with the Q and despite 4 bands once you get that, it does more than you would think.

Build is great and easy to get parts for/find someone who can maintain it.

8.2 and 10K can be really good for air.

Like some others I am not so keen on sub 100hz I use the GML or similar or digital or the really high freqs and I would go to a GML EQ or similar.

It isn't precise but if you learn it and combine it with a precise less flavoured EQ you will be happy.

In your location, I think it pays to buy something that you know you can get parts for and maintain as you seem to be suggesting that is important to you. Manley fits that bill.

On top of that it's incredible for mixing and tracking too (though the filters on the mastering version are not so handy being optimised for mastering)

I love mine and as someone else already meantioned it's very tactile and actually a FUN box to manipulate.

Highly recommended from my experiences also EveAnna Manley really does care and will engage if you email her re choices options questions etc of which I had a few before I got mine.

It's also common in hire stock so you could also try before you buy.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Pickles View Post
I use a GML (always lined up via a scope and with tones as it HAS to be done this way if you don't have the cash for the 9500) for low end and precision + that glassy shine above 16Khz that I love.
Try to run your analog chain in MS, there is much less need to match sides when doing so. It is faster than LR and EQing M and S a bit differently is not a bad idea most of the time.
Old 4th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Try to run your analog chain in MS, there is much less need to match sides when doing so. It is faster than LR and EQing M and S a bit differently is not a bad idea most of the time.
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not a massive fan of MS EQ, I find mixes tend to fall apart, though sound wider and can lack solidity, for want of a better term become "phasey" any MS I tend to do using digital and minimal.

I'm totally happy to identify an area to cut or boost send tones and line up. I do wonder if by doing it to that level of precision you can get better matching than the 9500 though I confess I want one of those for the convienience, the lower noise floor and the band bypass features ;-)

I'm hoping everyone believes the plug ins sound as good and start selling them cheap so I can buy one for song
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

When you 'calibrate' for level, you mention 'tones'. Are you using SIN tones ? or PINK ???
I'd like to better understand.

thx
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Wow! This is a very old Thread of mine.
6 years have passed and I ended up with an Ibis and an Avalon 2055 in the analog eq sector.
I would prefer the Millenia NSeq2 or Nseq4 over the Avalon or even a second Ibis.

Very good information coming here! Please, keep it coming!
Thanks
Old 11th August 2014
Gear Nut

What do you like/dislike about the 2055? Was considering getting one.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Still loving the Massive Passive - there's nothing like it, also as its bandwidth controls can act as a resonance control when needed (if you really need to make something "zing"). I generally run it at unity gain with a calibration tone, balanced or unbalanced as dictated by the project at hand (ear).
Old 11th August 2014
I think the Ibis is great for clean correction and adjustment while adding the Avalon Eq afterwards for that extra sparkle and fairy dust to a mix is a great setup. Guess everyone has their own taste.
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCatRoots View Post
What do you like/dislike about the 2055? Was considering getting one.
I like the Avalon 2055 but I prefer the feel and approach of the Ibis.

Recalls with the 2055 are not accurate.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search