The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio @ 1 bit 5.6 MHz on Blue Ray could save the day... Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 25th March 2011
  #151
Gear Nut
 

high quality audio would need quality equipment to listen to it. most ppl only have apple earbuds
Old 25th March 2011
  #152
Lives for gear
 

Again, I think people only have buds because there is nothing worth listening to on a real system. Yet the audio world seems resigned to never embrace even minimal fidelity ever again because the public has nothing to hear it with an apparently no desire to change.

I say "build it and they will come". People and kids have shown in the past that they do care enough to own home stereos. I don't see why that would have changed. Our DNA is the same as it ever was. Give 'em a reason to own something better than crap and see what happens.
Old 25th March 2011
  #153
Lives for gear
 
Waltz Mastering's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplex View Post
high quality audio would need quality equipment to listen to it. most ppl only have apple earbuds
Who is doing your research?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheebs Goat View Post
Again, I think people only have buds because there is nothing worth listening to on a real system. Yet the audio world seems resigned to never embrace even minimal fidelity ever again because the public has nothing to hear it with an apparently no desire to change.
The sky is falling...really?
Old 25th March 2011
  #154
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
Might be a sign of old age? Ya, I know Cheebs is in his 30's... whatever... "There is nothing worth listening to" = closed mind.
Obviously there is stuff worth listening to. But they come with all of these "gottcha's".

Some stuff might be recorded and mixed beautifully with headroom and power and signs of humanity in the performance...but it will either be underground or an obscure genre because anything in the public eye "has to compete" (groan/eye roll) and thus sounds like crap.

Some stuff might be popular/wide-spread, innovative, and written and performed amazingly well. But it has every last inch of empty space flattened out of it making it sound comically tiny.

I can't think of the last album that sounded good with a respectable sonic "size" that could also excite a crowd because they all know and love it. The community aspect is a large part of music. It is why popular genres are important. Right now the choice is "recording you can listen to" or "recording that unites a community". I want both. We used to have both.
Old 28th March 2011
  #155
Lives for gear
I think to a lay person and as far as music is concerned, a disc is a disc is a disc. Judging by what most people consider high quality playback in their home ... I am always horrified when someone says "check out my sound system" and they can't even tell that half the program material is missing because of nulls, the treble has the "surround" effect (LOL) and the bass is just a giant room node at 80hz ... I don't think anyone would even notice the difference. Discs are out, flashRAM is in. Now if they start making albums on flashROM, and musicians started being creative again... lets say an album would be 120 minutes of music instead of 60... I mean radio play is done for... why are songs still 2 -5 minutes long? Let's bring it back to the 1970's underground scene... 30 minute musical escapades... I think the concept of the "song" is what has to go... bring it back to the 1700's and have compositions.

FlashROM... would be just like miniaturized 8track cassettes... pop it in and it plays... sell em at convenience stores, you don't even need music stores they're so small. You could make little adapters to go from USB to miniUSB to iPod connector to motorolla connector...etc etc.. little thumbnails full of hours of music... you could even put multible bands on one... a whole music collection the size of your thumb for $20. You could build a whole new industry off it, just buy buying up a bunch of overstocked thumbdrives... I should keep my mouth shut and do it LOL ... if you do it, cut me in you greedy bastards, it was my idea.

Trying to turn this around from being another loudness war post...
Old 28th March 2011
  #156
Lives for gear
 
wado1942's Avatar
 

Quote:
FlashROM... would be just like miniaturized 8track cassettes... pop it in and it plays.
20 years ago, my Dad was holding onto a DAT of a concert for some reason (he didn't have a player). I asked what that is and he goes "you don't know what DAT is?" pointing to it in a joking manner. He told me how it was supposed to replace CDs & cassettes for the home market but that it would be short lived because everything would be put on small chips you could just pop into stuff. This is how I always envisioned the evolution of digital audio in the home market. I thought people could walk into a store and buy 20-bit 48K or better albums on small chips. The liner notes & artwork could be on the chip with the music. Boy was I mistaken. People keep using the same chip again and again, filling it with the worst quality format that's existed since steel wire. The masses don't care about quality, only convenience. They drive the market.



Quote:
why are songs still 2 -5 minutes long? Let's bring it back to the 1970's underground scene... 30 minute musical escapades.
Most people these days can hardly sit through a four-minute song, forget pieces like "2112" (Rush), "Heaven & Hell" (Vangelis) or even "One" (Metallica). I suggested to a friend to listen to the 7:30 "Jacob's Ladder" and they gave up on it after three minutes, saying it wasn't going anywhere. These people would completely miss out on the adventure with all the twists & turns. Remember that the media have force-fed 1 & 2 measure motifs, looped for three minutes to people since the late 80s. Once they've heard the first verse & chorus, they believe they've heard all there is to hear.

I'm not saying all people are like this by any means, but the masses have always had dumbed down taste so that's where the industry concentrates. Look at the rock music of the 50s, where people could buy singles of only the songs they liked. Not only were all the songs under three minutes, but you could often pick any song at random and sing any one of a hundred other songs on top of that tune's music. We're at a point again where people can buy any song they want by itself and don't even have to put up with a B-side. The trends in music are just like the rock of the late 50s. Repetitive, short, simple & easy to get (physically and intellectually).
Old 29th March 2011
  #157
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hodgson View Post

Your lifetimes experience is I suspect, less than I've done this morning, and I haven't even had breakfast yet.
Right, then.
Old 19th July 2011
  #158
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
I think to a lay person and as far as music is concerned, a disc is a disc is a disc. Judging by what most people consider high quality playback in their home ... I am always horrified when someone says "check out my sound system" and they can't even tell that half the program material is missing because of nulls, the treble has the "surround" effect (LOL) and the bass is just a giant room node at 80hz ... I don't think anyone would even notice the difference. Discs are out, flashRAM is in. Now if they start making albums on flashROM, and musicians started being creative again... lets say an album would be 120 minutes of music instead of 60... I mean radio play is done for... why are songs still 2 -5 minutes long? Let's bring it back to the 1970's underground scene... 30 minute musical escapades... I think the concept of the "song" is what has to go... bring it back to the 1700's and have compositions.

FlashROM... would be just like miniaturized 8track cassettes... pop it in and it plays... sell em at convenience stores, you don't even need music stores they're so small. You could make little adapters to go from USB to miniUSB to iPod connector to motorolla connector...etc etc.. little thumbnails full of hours of music... you could even put multible bands on one... a whole music collection the size of your thumb for $20. You could build a whole new industry off it, just buy buying up a bunch of overstocked thumbdrives... I should keep my mouth shut and do it LOL ... if you do it, cut me in you greedy bastards, it was my idea.

Trying to turn this around from being another loudness war post...
There is the Internet now
Old 20th July 2011
  #159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemusic View Post
There is the Internet now
And your point is..... what, exactly?
Old 20th July 2011
  #160
Lives for gear
 
807Recordings's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes View Post
And your point is..... what, exactly?
Not sure his point but I suspect it goes to the part that discs are a dead format and not really needed. There is no technical advantage to using a disc outside of you can pick it up and play it.

*Discs will always have higher rates of jitter
*errors due to mechanical vibrations, etc
*Less compatible and harder to upgrade.

etc etc.

On a side note it sure would be nice to be able to download something that sounds just like the master in an easy manner, but it looks like Apple is pushing their cloud thing again with more Shiass Quality.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
speerchucker / Music Computers
2
redrue / Geekslutz forum
3
BevvyB / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
13
Tetness / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
Phantom / So much gear, so little time
12

Forum Jump
Forum Jump