The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jaikoz (ISRC in ID3)
Old 26th August 2008
Audio Alchemist

Jaikoz (ISRC in ID3)

Anyone else use Jaikoz for ISRC in ID3?

Jaikoz Audio Tagger

Works on both Mac & PC.

I get increasingly many requests for ISRC embedded in mp3's, stuff going on iTunes especially.
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Hey ive been lookin at that prog too..
I think Steve Berson uses it but i could be wrong...

/ Jonas
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertone View Post
Hey ive been lookin at that prog too..
I think Steve Berson uses it but i could be wrong...

/ Jonas
Yes, Steve hipped me to it too. The only draw back is I wish the ISRC field was ontop & not so far down the list.
Ed
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I often use Nero (!!!) to put the ISRC data and title at final masters.
Toast8 is weird at this.
Toast + Jam used to be simple.
What else do you guys use?
Wavebruner? Cd Architect?
Old 27th August 2008
Audio Alchemist

We're talking mp3 ID3 tags - not a Redbook CD.

@Ed, the ISRC field can be found two places, and only takes a second to find - I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe it was changed.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I don't see the reason for submitting mp3's for iTunes. Am I missing something?
I used to also upload albums for a label... iTunes Producer takes red book discs and, once submitted, Apple's (later improved) encoding is applied at their end anyway.
Old 27th August 2008
Audio Alchemist

I'm sorry, my mistake. I meant stuff going on web radios. I was answering another post about iTunes mp3's at the same time, haha ;-)
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'm probably missing something, but is there an official location for an ISRC code in a MP3? I didn't see a place for one in the screenshots.

I think I've put an ISRC in the comments field, once or twice.
Old 27th August 2008
Audio Alchemist

Check out the program above.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'll do that tomorrow at the studio, but now I was just wondering if there's a standard of some sort.
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Jaakko check out the Jaikoz, you have a page called MusicBrainz, on that page there is a textarea for the ISRC,
But as to were in the metadata its included i dont know...
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Nut

BWF - ISRC tagging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Anyone else use Jaikoz for ISRC in ID3?

Jaikoz Audio Tagger

Works on both Mac & PC.

I get increasingly many requests for ISRC embedded in mp3's, stuff going on iTunes especially.

Looks good for MP3´s!
I would like a solution to tag ISRC into wav-files. I guess BWF is the file-type for this. Did a search here and found it wasn´t possible. Any news on this theme?

Thanks! heh
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtalahde View Post
I'm probably missing something, but is there an official location for an ISRC code in a MP3?
Yes, there is. This specific spot is hidden from the vast majority of mp3 id3 tag editors though. Jaikoz so far is the only I've found that seems to handle the ISRC id3 tag spot editing correctly - although likely there are others that I'm not aware of.

Quote:
I think I've put an ISRC in the comments field, once or twice.
Which unfortunately is simply not the correct place for it - and will not help you at all in terms of iTunes or Soundscan identification.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttbergsveen View Post
Looks good for MP3´s!
I would like a solution to tag ISRC into wav-files. I guess BWF is the file-type for this. Did a search here and found it wasn´t possible. Any news on this theme?

Thanks! heh
There have been no developer discussions I am aware of for embedding ISRC's into the metadata of an an uncompressed PCM container (such as bwf formatted wav files).

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Guys,

Can you give me some examples of when/how/why you would use this?

Nothing to extravagant just so I can get some ideas of how it might be useful for me as well?

Cheers,

R.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
Guys,

Can you give me some examples of when/how/why you would use this?

Nothing to extravagant just so I can get some ideas of how it might be useful for me as well?

Cheers,

R.
iTunes and many other digital audio distribution networks require an ISRC to be embedded into the digital delivery file (i.e. mp3, aac, etc.) for them to accept it. This is not an issue if you are ripping the mp3 files off of a CD Audio disc (either properly encoded master CD-R or properly replicated disc) that already contains embedded ISRC's - as most ripping/encoding softwares such as iTunes will keep re-embed into the mp3 file the ISRC that is embedded in the master discs TOC.

Also - Soundscan uses ISRC's as one method of tracking sales and broadcast of digital files - so again if this interests you it's important to make sure that the file has the ISRC embedded into it.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Cheers Cellotron,

Thanks for that.

I also run a label and we've just started doing vinyl again, These releases include digital delivery (Itunes/eMusic/Amazon) but no CD release so this something I'm definitely interested.

I'll normally have the mastering guys give me the WAVs on CD and then upload them from there. So far I've been able to include ISRC's when I upload the WAVs but have wondered about other means of distribution when it's MP3 only.

Thanks again,

R.
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post
Which unfortunately is simply not the correct place for it - and will not help you at all in terms of iTunes or Soundscan identification.
Which means that I need to check out the software and buy it. Thank you!

It's funny that Samplitude doesn't have a location for ISRC in the ID3 tags. Or maybe it encodes it in the right place, you just don't know it. I bet I can explore this too with Jaikoz..
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

is there any business, radio station etc who actually uses ISRC? So you mean that the pod caster is using the ISRC from the tag to report the play list?

right...
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post
iTunes and many other digital audio distribution networks require an ISRC to be embedded into the digital delivery file (i.e. mp3, aac, etc.) for them to accept it. This is not an issue if you are ripping the mp3 files off of a CD Audio disc (either properly encoded master CD-R or properly replicated disc) that already contains embedded ISRC's - as most ripping/encoding softwares such as iTunes will keep re-embed into the mp3 file the ISRC that is embedded in the master discs TOC.

Also - Soundscan uses ISRC's as one method of tracking sales and broadcast of digital files - so again if this interests you it's important to make sure that the file has the ISRC embedded into it.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
no, I've done a LOT of masters for Itunes exclusives and they have NEVER asked for ISRC.
Old 2nd September 2008
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
is there any business, radio station etc who actually uses ISRC? So you mean that the pod caster is using the ISRC from the tag to report the play list?

right...
Yes, but it's a lot more widespread in Europe than in the US. Many radio stations (web or not) use ISRC to identify where certain money goes (especially in case of cover versions).
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
no, I've done a LOT of masters for Itunes exclusives and they have NEVER asked for ISRC.
I've never embedded an ISRC in a file for iTunes but I've always had to supply an ISRC before it could be uploaded.

Cheers

James.
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
I've never embedded an ISRC in a file for iTunes but I've always had to supply an ISRC before it could be uploaded.

Cheers

James.
OK, news to me, I have never uploaded anything to Itunes, for some reason the labels or managers always take care of that. I have never supplied ISRC for Itunes masters but on the other hand thats not my job... so Legerfeldt, you might be right and I was wrong but I still feel that the ISRC stuff is VERY unnecessary, I still haven't heard of anyone actually using them for reporting and even if they do use them they cannot use them exclusively for a number of reasons.

Even if Itunes ask for ISRC I don't think they are used and if you haven't got a ISRC for your tune make up one yourself, there is NO ISRC control, not local - not global. All they do is charge you $100 for a some letters.
Old 2nd September 2008
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
so Lagerfeldt, you might be right and I was wrong
I usually am. :-)
Quote:
but I still feel that the ISRC stuff is VERY unnecessary, I still haven't heard of anyone actually using them for reporting and even if they do use them they cannot use them exclusively for a number of reasons.
Well, you have now. Like I said, a lot of radio stations like to have ISRC in Europe, and some web stations like to have it too.

The reason why there are so much lost money around is partly due to unidentified neighbouring rights money (also called "related rights"). Some of those moneys would easily be identified if everybody used and reported based on ISRC.

And we're talking substantial amounts if you have a hit. Contrary to popular belief producers don't earn their living just on sales, but a combination of sales royalties, song writing income, production and mixing fees - and neighbouring rights. Each part contributes towards the total income. So making sure you have ISRC on your songs is important if you want to maximize your income.

Quote:
Even if Itunes ask for ISRC I don't think they are used and if you haven't got a ISRC for your tune make up one yourself, there is NO ISRC control, not local - not global. All they do is charge you $100 for a some letters.
There is control, although I'm not quite sure what you mean exactly. In Denmark for instance it's controlled by GRAMEX, and is free as long as you're a member.

Making up an ISRC will only lead to confusion or your money going to some else. So that's pretty bad advice, I think.

Most record companies take a huge chunk of the neighbouring rights, so they make damn sure the ISRC is filled out correctly. Again, it's more used in Europe than in the US.

Every album or single I've produced has ISRC on it, e.g. for EMI, Sony, BMG, Universal, Edel, etc. Also the minor labels or indies use ISRC.
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Yes making up ISRC is a bad idea, it was not meant that way, tried to be funny. Anyhow - ISRC is still overrated in terms of time spent on this issue vs how important it is.

ISRC is part of an old technology (CD), there is really no point using it so let's hope it's not transfered to other media such as mp3, FLAC etc.

//P
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Allmost 2,5 years later and wondering how people think about ISRC codes in mp3 files. I do get some requests and use jaikoz for that because i think that it's the only program supporting it.
To me it feels like it's not officially supported in mp3.
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I am also embedding them in MP3s with Jaikoz from time to time...

But as far as I understand/know , collective organizations will monitor radio stations playlists with"music recognition software" in the future, that will compare the audio files waveforms from their database, with a transmitted ones.

I recently had to submit all the tracks that I co-wrote in MP3 format to my collective organization, as they are building a database with which they will be able to monitor the radio station program.

Hopefully , we will soon have a system that will "distribute" royalties from airplay more precisely.

In my opinion, ISRC will be used only as a "catalog" number, and I doubt that it will be used for radio playlist monitoring in the future.

Best,

G
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
See this old thread was bumped up - but want to note the following that I posted after testing turned out to be completely incorrect information:

Quote:
This is not an issue if you are ripping the mp3 files off of a CD Audio disc (either properly encoded master CD-R or properly replicated disc) that already contains embedded ISRC's - as most ripping/encoding softwares such as iTunes will keep re-embed into the mp3 file the ISRC that is embedded in the master discs TOC.
It turns out that iTunes (and every other consumer end software I tried) will absolutely NOT re-embed ISRC's from the CD's TOC into files ripped from a CD!!!!

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by da goose View Post
Allmost 2,5 years later and wondering how people think about ISRC codes in mp3 files. I do get some requests and use jaikoz for that because i think that it's the only program supporting it.
To me it feels like it's not officially supported in mp3.
It IS absolutely supported in the id3 tag standard! So ISRC can be embedded into any file format that supports id3 (i.e. FLAC, m4a, wma, mp3, ogg).

I have not tested this myself - but apparently if you use a "ISRC" tag prior to the actual code number in an empty comments field in an id3 tag editor that does not have a specific entry field for it then the ISRC will still be properly embedded.

As noted before, most tag entry happens via online forms with the digital distributor (such as CD Baby, Tunecore, etc.) so does not usually have to happen at the mastering level - but for occasional client requests for tagged mp3's (or other formats) Jaikoz is inexpensive and works great so is still highly recommended for these occasional id3 tag embedding chores.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
I'm sorry, my mistake. I meant stuff going on web radios. I was answering another post about iTunes mp3's at the same time, haha ;-)
Good question, though, as I was asked to do the same thing (ISRCs in mp3s).

I couldn't see a way to do it in programs I use to make mp3's, ie, WaveEditor and PTs. As one of the other posters suggested, one can submit an ISRC encoded CD to iTunes. AFAIK, you can also submit the codes by text when making online submissions. I know this is true for SongCast.

I was also asked recently to encode ISRCs in wave files delivered over FTP. Again, I believe this is not a common practice. Am I wrong about that? If so, how do you do it?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search