The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jaikoz (ISRC in ID3)
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Krehm View Post
Good question, though, as I was asked to do the same thing (ISRCs in mp3s).

I couldn't see a way to do it in programs I use to make mp3's, ie, WaveEditor and PTs. As one of the other posters suggested, one can submit an ISRC encoded CD to iTunes. AFAIK, you can also submit the codes by text when making online submissions. I know this is true for SongCast.

I was also asked recently to encode ISRCs in wave files delivered over FTP. Again, I believe this is not a common practice. Am I wrong about that? If so, how do you do it?
The answer is that you can't embed ISRC's in a meaninful way on a wav file whatsoever. You can enter an ISRC in the comments in the metadata of a BWF wav file - BUT this ISRC will NOT be transmitted to the id3 tag of any mp3 or other typical download format - and this ISRC will NOT be read by softwares used typically in broadcast situations that are designed to automatically log ISRC's (for use in providing play info to organizations like SoundScan and SoundExchange) off of either a CD's TOC or the specific ISRC entry field of an id3 tag.

If someone wishes to have an ISRC tag embedded into a file format that gives the same exact sound quality as uncompressed PCM I suggest that you use FLAC for this, as it supports id3 tagging including ISRC.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post
The answer is that you can't embed ISRC's in a meaninful way on a wav file whatsoever. You can enter an ISRC in the comments in the metadata of a BWF wav file - BUT this ISRC will NOT be transmitted to the id3 tag of any mp3 or other typical download format - and this ISRC will NOT be read by softwares used typically in broadcast situations that are designed to automatically log ISRC's (for use in providing play info to organizations like SoundScan and SoundExchange) off of either a CD's TOC or the specific ISRC entry field of an id3 tag.

If someone wishes to have an ISRC tag embedded into a file format that gives the same exact sound quality as uncompressed PCM I suggest that you use FLAC for this, as it supports id3 tagging including ISRC.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Thanks for clearing that up!
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Hello Steve

Have you ever supplied tagged Flac files for an iTunes release?

Just curious as I normally supply a 2nd CD master but would love to not have to do that.

PreSonus Studio One Pro will also make Flac files complete with ISRC codes in their proper place!
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
I have not tested this myself - but apparently if you use a "ISRC" tag prior to the actual code number in an empty comments field in an id3 tag editor that does not have a specific entry field for it then the ISRC will still be properly embedded.
Works like a charm with the free Foobar2000 player! Caveat; haven't tested with other media players.
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Of Tone View Post
Hello Steve

Have you ever supplied tagged Flac files for an iTunes release?
No I haven't. For every iTunes destined release I've worked on the client has handled providing the tagging information (including ISRC) via the online forms provided by their digital distributor (i.e. CD Baby, Tunecore, Orchard, etc.). They upload wav files (or provide a CD) and then enter the info for each track on the webpage form for these uploads.

HOWEVER - I have provided tagged mp3 and FLAC files that were to be directly distributed off of the client's own websites.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search