The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
This is starting to NOT be a fun place anymore. Studio Headphones
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
The discussion was not about the definition of what a true online mastering service is, if that's what you are hope for.
That's not what I are hope for. I are hope to be a mastering service that also offers online services. Which is working out just fine as it is.
Quote:
Like I said, IMHO, those who invest in a script to register users and allow them to upload audio to sample or order, are more professionally set up.
So - After 25 years as an audio engineer, hundreds of $k invested in various equipment and space over that time, etc., etc., etc., putting a script on my web site to allow strangers to drop files on to my server will make me "more professionally set up?" I think not. I don't mind actually being in contact with my clients and potentials. Phone. E-mail. Drop on by. *I* don't see anything wrong with that.
Quote:
If you have that many users working online the more reason to set that up running in your site. That's my opinion and I am entitled to it.
And you are. And I'm entitled to think otherwise.
Quote:
So, the only thing left to say, it's let's cut the bickering off...
Wow, that's very magnanimous of you. Please DO cut the bickering off.
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering View Post
It shows here. hmmmmmmmmmm..
I just grabbed the pic off of joerod's site.

Regards,
Bruce
Ah - joerod blocked my IP from accessing his site. I guess he thinks it's punishment or something.

Is it the one with the PhotoShopped Sonex on the walls?
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master View Post
Is it the one with the PhotoShopped Sonex on the walls?
I thought every professional mastering suite had that!
My bad....

Regards,
Bruce
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbreak Music View Post
That's hilarious. As far as I've seen it allows you to publicly post someone's activity on your personal site on a forum--
Sorry but, I don't see why this would be hilarious as much as your thought makes little sense to me.

Quote:
isn't that where this all started?
This is where it all started (in this thread):
Quote:
I don't think anyone here has disdain for (honest, ethical) online facilities. But many people have disdain for erroneous information. Especially when it becomes SOP from individual parties.

Note that I'm not bickering or pointing fingers at anyone - I'm just making a statement.
As far as I am concerned, he is the one who either likes to start the bickering or at least attracts it. That said, it also creeped me out that he would view with *disdain* an error on a post. That just seems to me so insincere, or if one means that then one should be seeking for anger management therapy ...

Quote:
Nice to take a bunch of shots, then say "let's just stop the bickering".
I think that if you try to make a point, you should make sure to have the facts behind you. This user only brings all this to himself.

Quote:
we now have someone incorrectly stating the services someone else offers--that's crossing the line......big time. Even if it's under the guise of "just my opinion".
Not really, he challenged me to prove that :
Quote:

I have no idea where you'd think differently. I've never "advertised" anything different on my site.
I wanted to demonstrate that he doesn't really appear to be a true FTP online mastering site. At least, he doesn't make that distinction on his front page. Would you prefer to see a screenshot?

Quote:
This #$% is getting old, and the mods better get a grip on it. Not in an "everyone's guilty" way, but in a targeted, specific, and appropriate way.
We all know you are his little side kick, if you want to use the same tactics, be my guest...
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
I'm sorry but that is ridiculous. If we can't criticize each other's "business practices, habits, and rooms," how can we criticize each other's "gear, dither, SRC , load in or load out, analogue, digital, plug ins and tubes until we drop." Those are habits and business practices, and the room of course is just another piece of gear (and the most important one).

Criticism, of the constructive sort (and "your speakers are set up in the wrong way" or "your room is sonically assymetrical" is most certainly constructive), is really the best thing any of us can hope for on a forum like this.

If I have bad breath, I want to know it so I can fix it (and yes halitosis can most often be fixed). But my friends in real life may be too shy to out and tell me about it. They are doing me a great disservice by hiding from me the feedback I need to know to improve my life. But if some anonymous entity out on the Internet tells me, sure I may be a bit humiliated, I may try to get back at them, I may cry to some forum moderator, but the message will have been delivered and after I swallow my pride I'll go out and get some floss.
peeder, you are missing the point. Riccardo wrote "Uncalled criticism".

Alistair
Old 18th August 2008
I think I mastered a CD yesterday.

Hopefully it's better than it was before I mastered it.

This thread is crazy. Go do some mastering or something.
Old 18th August 2008

what?

WHAT?

oh.
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaDeltaAudio View Post
It seems like getting rid of only one or two users would solve the problem dfegad
Hurray hurray!

Alistair
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Guru

Wow this thread took off in a hurry.

I like that the use of Gearlsutz is free. Take what you want from it, ignore the rest. thumbsup

Old 18th August 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
I can also brag if I want to that ever since you've been answering all my comments, my request count went up to the roof.
That might not be for the reason that you imagine.

Alistair
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
So - After 25 years as an audio engineer, hundreds of $k invested in various equipment and space over that time, etc., etc., etc., putting a script on my web site to allow strangers to drop files on to my server will make me "more professionally set up?"
Sterling Sound has invested 100X more *$k* and their web site doesn't have an FTP upload, at least not one that I am aware of, If you want to call them an online mastering facility be my guest, but mark my words, they will have a user registration and upload area, not an FTP or a "please, send us your files via yousendit.com" notice .

Quote:
I don't mind actually being in contact with my clients and potentials. Phone. E-mail. Drop on by. *I* don't see anything wrong with that.
*I* don't see anything wrong with that either, but to regard *strangers* as hackers and therefore to believe that whoever is online is going to take your site down, it's not a valid point. But, if you really believe that, you shouldn't really be in this online business in the first place.
IMO, for most musicians/producers online, it is a lot harder to do FTP than to sign into a secure web site to upload...

Quote:
Massive Mastering wrote: "That's not what I are hope for. I are hope to be a mastering service that..." and "Is it the one with the PhotoShopped Sonex on the walls?"
It now appears that you also have disdain for people who make typos. I ask the Slutz, is this a good representation of a forum moderator or an established ME? With remarks that appear to be mockery, no one would join the discussion...unless of course you want to create a thread called "The Ultimate Mastering Scam: Sites that photoshop Sonex onto their walls"...
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Huh? Now FTP servers are not professional? This is getting ridiculous.

Alistair
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
That might not be for the reason that you imagine.

Alistair
Please, don't start this whole thing again. This is exactly what our mod was talking about...So, if this is OK with you, we can ask for the thread to be closed.
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please, don't start this whole thing again. This is exactly what our mod was talking about...So, if this is OK with you, we can ask for the thread to be closed.
Yaknow, you guys need to learn to live without moderation. So if you want a thread closed, guess how you do it without a moderator?

Duuhhhh,...uummm.....

You stop posting in it.

Get it?
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yaknow, you guys need to learn to live without moderation. So if you want a thread closed, guess how you do it without a moderator?

Duuhhhh,...uummm.....

You stop posting in it.

Get it?
Yeah, I get it! Why kill a thread called " This is starting to NOT be a fun place anymore."?
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Please, don't start this whole thing again. This is exactly what our mod was talking about...
No. I am not starting anything. I mean what I wrote. It really might not be for the reasons that you imagine.

Quote:
So, if this is OK with you, we can ask for the thread to be closed.
This is the second time I see you ask to close a thread. What is that about? Why can't people just respond if they feel like it? (And ignore it if they don't).

Alistair
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is the second time I see you ask to close a thread. What is that about? Why can't people just respond if they feel like it? (And ignore it if they don't).
Well if it's so easy to ignore things, why clamor for the public beheading of another forum member?

Just ignore them. No?
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Well if it's so easy to ignore things, why clamor for the public beheading of another forum member?

Just ignore them. No?
I'm not asking to close any threads. I'm not trying to impose my will on everyone else on this forum. Just on one. LOL

Anyway, ignoring one user that derails so many threads doesn't work. You still see all the disruption that that one user is causing. Removing that one user solves the problem for everyone and no threads need to be closed.

Alistair
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Guru

Old 18th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Anyway, ignoring one user that derails so many threads doesn't work. You still see all the disruption that that one user is causing. Removing that one user solves the problem for everyone and no threads need to be closed.

Alistair
Anyway, I think that most users have read the whole exchange and have a better perspective than you of what has been said... Don't be a part of the lynch mob... I suggest you to try reading the whole thread. There have been at least a hundred users who didn't come to the aid of the offending user and neither they came for mine. Discussions are discussions without them there would be no forum. Don't take personal offense on nasty comments, but tenaciously defend yourself if you can...
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
THAT sir, is a very cool icon which I must have.
Quote:
Sterling Sound has invested 100X more *$k* and their web site doesn't have an FTP upload, at least not one that I am aware of, If you want to call them an online mastering facility be my guest, but mark my words, they will have a user registration and upload area, not an FTP or a "please, send us your files via yousendit.com" notice
I'd bet at Sterling you need to be "known" to them before they hand you the keys to their upload area.

Same here. Get the picture? You haven't seen my entire website. Okay? Now will you please shut the hell up?

We're all really glad that you're an "official online mastering facility" - We get it. You're really cool because of your upload script. NOW [SELF-CENSORED]-ING DROP IT, WILL YOU?!?
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
..Sterling Sound has invested 100X more *$k* and their web site doesn't have an FTP upload, at least not one that I am aware of, If you want to call them an online mastering facility be my guest, but mark my words, they will have a user registration and upload area, not an FTP or a "please, send us your files via yousendit.com" notice .
We are as online as mastering facility has ever been. Sterling delivered the first master to be transfered to a plant via the internets. Not sure why you gotta bring Sterling up but whatever... and for the record I send and receive tracks via yousendit and whalemail and even iChat ALL the time. They all work. I'd say about 70% of my work is done this way [online transfers that is]. Being online does not have any bearing whatever on your professional status.... at least not as much as being a professional does.

are we all tired of this yet?
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
I'd bet at Sterling you need to be "known" to them before they hand you the keys to their upload area.
You bet your Bratwurst.
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Thanks to Peeder for mentioning the 'User Ignore List' joerod has just been added.

Thomas did you know about the 'Ignore List'? Just use that for the users who add noise & nothing else. Problem solved. It just cleaned up this thread very nicely..

Matt
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGray View Post
Thanks to Peeder for mentioning the 'User Ignore List' joerod has just been added.
+1
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I was considering that myself... But then I'd need someone to fill me in on whatever other misinformation certain parties spread about my biz...
Old 18th August 2008

Verified Member
Quote:
peeder, you are missing the point. Riccardo wrote "Uncalled criticism".

Alistair
Exactly - there's a way to do it. You can discuss rooms and business etc., but to simply bait a challenge by saying something like, "your room stinks and anybody who uses your studio is an idiot," is past reasonable and acceptable behavior.

Actually, a bunch of stuff in this thread is again heading beyond reasonable. Come on guys. Geez! What do we have to do? You all know how to discuss things without being obsessed with the "gotcha!" Try to put that into action. We're going to have to start handing out warnings, and eventually move onto suspensions if you can't work this out.
Top Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search