The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just one compressor short of a good nights sleep Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Just one compressor short of a good nights sleep

Hi , my name is Gary and I'm in the process of putting together a mastering facility in Berlin.
I have a list of gear that I am purchasing over the next week ,most of which are devices I have used before. I'm getting 2 compressors and 2 eq's to begin with. I have decided on both eq's and 1 compressor. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a second comp that would complement my set up through their own experiences.
I know sound is subjective and all gear decisions should really be made through personal experience but unfortunately it's very hard for me to find stores where I'm located providing high end devices to audition.

Here is a list of what's certain :
Manley Massive Passive
Cranesong Ibis
Cranesong Stc-8

Heres what I'm currently considering as the last comp :
Thermionic Phoenix
API 2500
Chiswick Reach

Any other suggestions ? Something that works well with any of my (what's certain) choices ? Any help would be very much appreciated,
Kind regards ,
Gary.
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Another one in Berlin ?? thumbsup

I recommand:

Thermionic Culture Phoenix (comp)
Smart c2 (comp)
Crane Song Ibis (eq)
Api 5500 (eq)

What about the room, speakers and converters ?
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Hi , and thanks for your suggestions.
The room will be designed by Mb Akustik, the converters will be the Lynx Aurora, and the monitors will be Pmc lb-1s with a Bryston 4b powering them.
Are you set up in Berlin also ?
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

I wouldn't get the API 2500 with the STC-8. I had one here for testing, liked it, but found that in most cases, when the API fitted a track, the Crane Song fitted better to my taste. That may be because I know the Crane Song better and know how to get it to do what I want from it. But still, if you're looking to cover more bases with 2 compressors, I'd look to get a completely different animal. A tube should fit nicely.
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Hi Robin ,
thanks for your input . A friend of mine just sent me some comparison files of the real API
against the waves plug-in version on drum sub groups . Although I would have preferred the comparisons to be on a full mix for my evaluation I have to say to my ears the plug in sounded only slightly different from the analogue piece and being honest if I was blind testing I would have picked the plug in .
I hear what you are saying about having a tube compressor for a different taste with in my setup.
Have you experienced one that lends itself well to working in conjunction with the massive passive or Ibis .
Thanks,
Gary.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcopop View Post
Hi Robin ,
thanks for your input . A friend of mine just sent me some comparison files of the real API
against the waves plug-in version on drum sub groups . Although I would have preferred the comparisons to be on a full mix for my evaluation I have to say to my ears the plug in sounded only slightly different from the analogue piece and being honest if I was blind testing I would have picked the plug in .
I hear what you are saying about having a tube compressor for a different taste with in my setup.
Have you experienced one that lends itself well to working in conjunction with the massive passive or Ibis .
Thanks,
Gary.
Right... that's the other thing. The Waves plugin of the API2500 is very good.

I have neither the massive passive nor the Ibis. Plus, I have never tried the Ibis. So I can't really comment on that.

I personally like the Vari-Mu (T-bar with HPF mod) very much and find it complements the STC-8 nicely. That said, I haven't heard the phoenix yet and most seem to like it a lot. So again, I can't really comment, sorry.
All I can say is that the STC-8 and the Vari-Mu have been in my setup for a long time and cover most of the bases. I recently got an opto limiter to complement the line up, but for years, the stc-8 and the Mu have handled 80% of compression needs.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi , my name is Gary and I'm in the process of putting together a mastering facility in Berlin.
Hey Gary, welcome to Berlin! Do you want to come around and say hello to one competitor?

For the compressor, if you have the money, I would definately recommend the Elysia Alpha.

CU around!
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Thanks again 24/96 . I heard the mu is a device that requires your time before you can get the very best out of it . It's one for the list for sure!
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Hey Kosmo , I'm setting up just around the corner from you .
Maybe I can buy some 100m Xlrs and we can work on stuff together
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Oh I meant to ask what the Alpha retails at ?It's a beautiful device
but i have a feeling its rather pricey.
Old 16th August 2008
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
~10k USD.
might be priced lower in the EU ?
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Vertigo VSC-2
Loving it to death on the 2buss. Drop the Vertigo guys an email I am sure they can arrange a demo for you.
Rock,
Pat
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Hi and thanks for the replies guys. I was looking at the Vertigo specs , seems like it's a very clean comp. Having already used and decided on the stc8, I'm really looking for something with a bit of character .
I've read a lot of reviews, it seems like the Pheonix could be worth a shot .
A lot of people who strike me as intelligent folk with good taste have a lot of nice things to say about it .
Any other suggestions are always welcome
Kind regards,
Gary.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

We tried the Phoenix and it didn't quite 'do it' for us, we ended up settling on the Requisite L2M, which I am very happy with.
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Where might one find a dealer for this comp in the E.U Matt?
Looks like an interesting piece of kit . I checked out your site and noticed the
Maselec Mla-2 on the equipment list .
Does it get used a lot in your masters ?
Thanks,
Gary.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looks like an interesting piece of kit . I checked out your site and noticed the
Thanks,
Gary.
There is no dealer for the L2M in europe. It's pretty much direct distro from the manufacturer only. Call Danny directly, the number is on his web site.

I can of course offer you to visit me and have a play with it, but Karlsruhe is a few hours drive / ride from Berlin, so I don't know if that offer is interesting at all. If it is, there's also my Vari-MU, the STC-8 and an API2500 here. By the way, Akzent Audio in Karlsruhe is also the distributor for Crane Song, Chandler, Pendulum and Smart Research and I'm sure a listening session could be arranged.
I know it's a bit far from berlin, but I want to offer it anyway.

Maybe there's another L2M in Germany, though I don't know of it.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a second comp that would complement my set up through their own experiences.
Gary.

Chandler LTD-2 Mastering version

I use mine in series with the STC-8 quite a bit.
It's an excellent color/glue box especially when boosting the output...just be careful.
Ed
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Kosmo , I'm setting up just around the corner from you .
Maybe I can buy some 100m Xlrs and we can work on stuff together
Or you also get a centauri ISDN and a city phone flatrate

ontopic again: The tubetech CL2a is another option.
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks,
Gary.
MLA-2 was sold long ago. That gear list is very out of date, half the desk is different now. This is what you get for having a fancy Flash thing made, it's all great and pretty but then it's a PITA to change.

Right now, it's the L2M, an OCL-2, and a pair of Trakkers for comp and still the Sontec 432-C for EQ on the analog side via a Dangerous Master. DS-1, EQ-1, M6000 and K-Stereo on the digital.
Old 17th August 2008
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
If you like the Cranesong STC-8, you should also give the Fearn VT-7 a try......
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Thanks,
Gary.
We've used the Requisite L2M since the MKI version and now have the MKIII. We think it is wonderful! It is used on about 99% of our masters.

Here's their hompage. Be sure to contact Danny and I'm sure he will find a way to get you a unit.

http://www.requisiteaudio.com/index.html

Here's a picture of the new beast with tube power supply which Danny doesn't seem to have on his own site! This is from a Gearslutz thread.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...ompressor.html
Old 17th August 2008
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed littman View Post
i had mine modded with 1.5:1 and 3:1 ratios (and the stock 6:1)

made it 1000% more useful for mastering..
but still often, i use it more for a line amp, then compression.
Old 17th August 2008
Gear Addict

hey gary- I was looking into the best 2 channel outboard eq and although I've never used it, I would look into, or atleast give this site a search for the "Hammer"... Many people speaking very highly of it for mastering, swapping their massive passives for it--
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi and thanks for the replies guys. I was looking at the Vertigo specs , seems like it's a very clean comp. Having already used and decided on the stc8, I'm really looking for something with a bit of character .
The vertigo is not "clean" at all, it has TONS of character imho, it just stays transparent while putting it´s character on stuff. It does not get in the way of anything, does not muddy up anything, does not take away punch or clarity. That´s what is so amazing about it, you can put compression on something that makes you go "whoa cool" without any drawbacks. With most other designs you have to settle for a balance between benefits and drawbacks. With the Vertigo I find myself getting more of the good with way less of the bad.
BTW something like a VariMu is the total opposite for me, the VariMu is extremely hifi and "indetectable" sounding. I sold mine because I just like the VSC better, but I think the combination of those two will cover pretty much anything you ever need on a 2buss. Anyway, given the fact you are in Germany you should really call Vertigo and have them send you one for demoing, you will not be dissapointed.

Rock!
Old 17th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Hi Rock, the way you are describing the Vertigo is very similar to how I would describe the Stc 8 , has it's own vibe yet can be worked hard while keeping transparency . What do they retail for may I ask ?
One of my biggest problems is that I'm ordering everything in one go from the same company in England , which gives me a big discount . I'm talking everything except monitors and acoustics . I have been givin a 13 % discount by this company because of the order size , I'm sure they can order anything in for me, but as a point of honor because of the very fair deal I would have to order from them . I do appreciate you pitching in with the Vertigo and I think the updates will prove very appealing to a lot of M.E's , I have included the Manley Backbone as part of my order , had this not the same m/s and parallel options I would be seriously considering Vertigo over the comp I already know and trust the stc8.
Old 17th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Hi 24/96 , although I greatly appreciate your offer and appealing as it is, I think if I'm correct it's 6 hours each way from here to karlsruhe and back ?
Train costs came in at over 200 euros also . If only Star Trek technology had come of age
I would like to make you an offer :
my girlfriend for your requisite , she is also very clean and transparent,
but I just can seem to get a handle on her dynamics heh
(Big joke , I love her dearly)
Thanks again for being so generous ,
Gary.
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed littman View Post
thumbsup I was wondering if somebody would bring that one up. Great for tone, even without being set for some "grab", as jdg mentioned, though I'm sure its stock ratio is more like 4:1 based on in depth discussion elsewhere.
Old 17th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Hey Kosmo ,
thanks also for the suggestions, I was also considering the tube-tech infact at one point I had there multi-band in my order.
It feels strange talking with you here knowing you are literally around the corner from me . I like Kastanienallee a lot , big fan of the Italian place there Pasta and Passion
Old 17th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
If you like the Cranesong STC-8, you should also give the Fearn VT-7 a try......
Not sure how to read this. Do you mean as an alternative or to complement?

Hi Gary,
I've been on the same quest. Looking for something different to complement my STC. I've tried the Vertigo for instance and couldn't get enthusiastic about it for mastering. Tried both Elysia's and while the Alpha is probably the best and most versatile compressor ever, i ended up with the Weiss DS1.
I've sort of decided that i just don't like the sound of transformers in most analog devices and attributes like 'glue' and 'color' sound like mud or smear to me. All transient killers...

While a package deal is very interesting, my advice would be to get to know that STC better in practice first. You'll learn to get some 'character' out of it when needed.

my two cents.
Old 17th August 2008
Gear Head

STC-8 and DS-1 here as well, and considering Thermionic Culture (either Phoenix or Culture Vulture) for future expansion. As finetuner rightly pointed out, please take the time to get to know your STC-8 — it's very versatile, yet not that easy to get to grips with.

Best regards,
Gert

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search