The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just one compressor short of a good nights sleep Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 28th August 2008
kjg
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Yes, of course I've heard it. :-) Similar to the SSL Type 4000 master bus comp, which is emulated in the Waves G-Master Bus Compressor.

Fixed yes,

1: off
2: 60
3:100
4:160
5:200
6:300

or something else. I'm thinking of lower freqs, just to keep the subs out, e.g. 40 Hz, even though it won't matter much with a 6dB/Oct filter.
Are you saying that if you go for detented pots it comes with a 6 way switch? Or is it fully custom? Guess they be happy to get you whatever you want as long as your bank account permits..
A 6-way switch should do it though, although 8-way wouldn't hurt I guess.

How about having 40Hz (or even 30Hz) instead of off? With a comp like this reducing some subs in the sc seems to make sense generally.
[email protected] > [email protected] > [email protected] Seems like a nice sub roll of to have as a default instead of off. Thinking about it, since the filter is not that steep, it might make more sense choosing your frequencies looking at the -6dB and even -12dB values (to get a sense of what the scfilter will actually result in sound wise).
Actually, I think I'd want an option to switch the sc filter between off, 6 and 12dB/oct...
Six -3dB point options, PLUS a bypass and double steepness option for the filter. Like this:

-3 -6/12 -12/24

1: 40 20 10
2: 80 40 20
3: 120 60 40
4: 160 80 50
5: 240 120 60
6: 360 180 90

Ok, that's it. It's on the short list.
Quote:
In fact I'm considering changing my G SSL custom master comp with a fixed 6dB/Oct filter @*80 Hz, transformer balanced outputs and all detents with a Danfield 726 just for fun.
Do it! I agree, that should be fun (or a bit funny - depending on how much you'll be able to get for your custom comp), and definitely very slutty

Quote:
What can I say, except you've done your homework. You might want to add one other plug-in to that list soon, although I can't reveal what just yet (signed a NDA).
Ok, understandable. I've heard you mentioning this cool new plugin in other threads too. Can you disclose when you'll be able to say anything about it? When it might be released? Is it still going to be this year?

Quote:
If you can only get one, get an STC-8. Having the /H or /M version is very nice but after buying the /M version for mastering myself I *don't* think it's necessary with the detents. In my opinion you will be happier saving the extra money forother gear. YMMV of course.
I appreciate the tip, thx. The difference is a thousand dollars.. A substantial amount of money. But I still think I would want the full resetabilty. Working ITB for quite some time now I am so used to total recall.. On top of that I am a bit of a perfectionist/control freak.. And I like to be able to go back to things. Why do you think it is not necessary?

Quote:
I'd say the Danfield 726 pretty much fills out the same role as an API 2500 (this being a bit more colored and more flexible perhaps).
Ok. API has ability to run in unlinked mode though (good for MS) and the thrust circuit. I've only ever used it as a plugin, but always enjoyed it whenever I did. For it's character. But I guess it could wait if I get the STC8 and Danfield.
Quote:
You'll want a Gyraf Gyratec G14.
Yes I think I do... The price is even a bit better than the Great River. And I could really use the tube color, as long as the lows are tight.

Quote:
And the passive/parallel design is very important for me when mastering (e.g. if I want just to use 1 band of high boost but nothing else - I don't want the low end to change).
Exactly. You don't run it through an analog chain to color it. You run it through an analog chain to color it where you need it.
Quote:
Very good thanks, I'll soon be posting the final pictures in a couple of weeks. The studio is operational now, except for the isobooth.
Good for you! Looking forward to the pictures.
And who needs isolating boots anyway? Just make sure all your sockets are properly grounded... heh

Cheers,
kjg
Old 28th August 2008
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg View Post
I've heard you mentioning this cool new plugin in other threads too. Can you disclose when you'll be able to say anything about it? When it might be released? Is it still going to be this year?
Something else entirely, sorry to sound so hush-hush. The other thing was the soon to be released Sonalksis Mastering Plug-ins.

Quote:
I appreciate the tip, thx. The difference is a thousand dollars.. A substantial amount of money. But I still think I would want the full resetabilty. Working ITB for quite some time now I am so used to total recall.. On top of that I am a bit of a perfectionist/control freak.. And I like to be able to go back to things. Why do you think it is not necessary?
Well, it's very simple to recall the STC-8 *very* precisely without the detents in my opinion. If you use makeup gain then perhaps get the /H version. But I wouldn't miss it. It'll be more than $1,000 you save depending on how and where you buy it, living in Europe. And if you have a VAT registered company or not.

As you can see from another thread some ME's (and we're not talking Jim-Bob in his basement) don't even do recall sheets. I do, but it's rarely needed and I could certainly do a 99% accurate recall of the STC-8 without detents.
Old 28th August 2008
kjg
Lives for gear

Quote:
Something else entirely, sorry to sound so hush-hush. The other thing was the soon to be released Sonalksis Mastering Plug-ins.
I see.. We'll wait for the other secret to be revealed...
So how are the new Sonalksis plugins?

Quote:
Well, it's very simple to recall the STC-8 *very* precisely without the detents in my opinion. If you use makeup gain then perhaps get the /H version. But I wouldn't miss it. It'll be more than $1,000 you save depending on how and where you buy it, living in Europe. And if you have a VAT registered company or not.
I'll be ordering from The Netherlands. Yes, from a VAT registered company of course. That means I could just take the price from the Cranesong website, and convert to Euros, right?

Quote:
As you can see from another thread some ME's (and we're not talking Jim-Bob in his basement) don't even do recall sheets. I do, but it's rarely needed and I could certainly do a 99% accurate recall of the STC-8 without detents.
Ok, guess I'll be getting the API too, then. Thanks for pointing out the recallability.

Please keep us posted on your potential purchase of the Danfeld 726, and any custom mods you're considering.

Cheers,
kjg
Old 29th August 2008
Audio Alchemist

You'll be subjected to toll and VAT when importing. I don't know the rates in Holland, but in Denmark it's about 5% toll and 25% VAT added to the price. Both can be deducted later of course.
Old 29th August 2008
kjg
Lives for gear

Quote:
You'll be subjected to toll and VAT when importing. I don't know the rates in Holland, but in Denmark it's about 5% toll and 25% VAT added to the price. Both can be deducted later of course.
25% VAT.. Wow, that's high. It is 19% here at the moment. Thank you for reminding me.

O btw, do you think it would be possible? This 6/12dB slope switch for the filter I was dreaming up? And are there any other SSL clones out there you can recommend?
Old 29th August 2008
Audio Alchemist

I don't know about the slope.. maybe. You really should take it up with Danfield.

The C2 is a SSL'ish thing too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search