The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Adding Analog Harmonic Content Sound Enhancers & Exciters (HW)
Old 13th August 2008
Adding Analog Harmonic Content

I am curious, whether anyone is making an analog version of what the cranesong Phoenix plugs do.
Long story short, I'd like to be able to add and control harmonic content in my material in the outboard world. Does it exist?

PS: I have a Waves Maxxbass which does this from 25-120Hz

Thanks
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

Thermionic Culture Vulture or Anamod?
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
The (also Crane Song) HEDD is rather wonderful for such things... As is the Flamingo for that matter.
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Masterpiece II or the STC-8 too.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 13th August 2008
protools signal generator....:P
Old 13th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicWyeth View Post
protools signal generator....:P
Nah, he is talking about wanting a much wider ranger...though I use 10-100-1-10K to do calibration.
Old 14th August 2008
The Thermionic and the Hedd both look like good options.
Do any of these have the ability to control the frequency range being affected?
Each of the Phoenix plugs have a flavor area they enhance.
I want a box with 5 knobs:
Luminescent
Iridescent
Radiant
Dark Essence
& Luster

(I hope they're reading this in Wisconsin....Dave Hill)

Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 14th August 2008 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: needed explaination
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Maby a buzz audio resonance Eq. Haven't tried one. I think there are only three made so far. Sounds like it could be good and different. Also the hammer by A-designs filters the harmonic content the valves are adding. Crysonic new-b does what maxbass does but sounds so much better IMHO. They have other ones but I don't like how digital they end up. All that said the best I have found is Character in the powercore set up. Based on gas detection algorithms for chemical warfare attack early waring systems applied to music. It detects harmonic content that the human ear finds pleasing ind filters/enhances it.

( I was told this by one of the dovelopers for powercore and duende )
Old 14th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
Nah, he is talking about wanting a much wider ranger...though I use 10-100-1-10K to do calibration.
dont you hate it when the internerd doesnt convey sarcasm
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I got it...

And although evidently he didn't, I have no idea what his answer was about... Calibration tones?
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Also the color knob on an Ibis though it's a different sound than the Phoenix plugs, which is different than the HEDD, which is different than the STC-8....
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicWyeth View Post
dont you hate it when the internerd doesnt convey sarcasm
hey dom , i find this place a very hard disipline
because in australia we think we are being funny but our Oz sarcasm often reads as insults in new york, confusion in washington and something worth franchising in la la land.
and the rest of the world is just ignoring the posts waiting for somebody in America to clear things up !

ok guys now that was meant to be funny
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlerock View Post
and the rest of the world is just ignoring the posts waiting for somebody in America to clear things up
hehhehheh

(UK btw... essentially the same as you lot sarcasm wise...)
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
and the rest of the world is just ignoring the posts waiting for somebody in America to clear things up !

I don't get it.
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
and the rest of the world is just ignoring the posts

So you're saying the rest of the world has no humour, that we're not being capable of sarcasm? That's not funny. That's not funny at all. You think you're so great, don't you!
Old 14th August 2008
Please - this banter is not helping anybody. In the future, kindly refrain from any sarcastic remarks about sarcasm. Especially aimed toward us Americans. We are a young nation with an underdeveloped sense of humor. Thank you for your consideration.
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
We are a young nation with an underdeveloped sense of humor.
Are you kidding?!? We have Carrot Top!

Old 14th August 2008
Gear Maniac

From a great beguin thread to a absurd conflict.
Please not all people understand local kidding.
what happen with gearslutz lately?
Old 14th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanstoner View Post
Are you kidding?!? We have Carrot Top!
& Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Adding Analog Harmonic Content-larrythecableguy.jpg   Adding Analog Harmonic Content-larry.jpeg  
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Addict

I think he's winning the loudness wars with that tube-top.
Old 14th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by masteringhouse View Post
Also the color knob on an Ibis though it's a different sound than the Phoenix plugs, which is different than the HEDD, which is different than the STC-8....
...but i digress.
You seem to be familiar with all of the above. Which do you feel would be most applicable to reinforce parts of a mix that need that boost that eq can't quite give? Most useful for the ME who can't go get them all.
I realize they all have their own unique qualities.... but which one would get used most often.
Old 14th August 2008
t_d
Lives for gear

here's a question that's always been on my mind..

can you add harmonic distortion to a sine wave? sine waves only have the basic, single harmonic... does analog distortion ADD harmonics, or only boost what is there? (in the case of a sinewave, nothing.. meanin, no effect)..

or am i way off here?
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OberHeim-Kenobi View Post
From a great beguin thread to a absurd conflict.
Please not all people understand local kidding.
what happen with gearslutz lately?
Hmm... that's the trouble with sarcasm. You never know where it ends and real concerns begin... Of course, all of the above was sarcastic, no harm intended and none done, I believe
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Addict

Verified Member
my apologees for being silly..

you can add harmonics to a sine wave with external devices but why would you ..? unless you were just testing to see if you could ( which i have done) ,

the neumann fs cutting system adds a same amount of 2nd harmonic information (distortion) into the chain as the record gets closer to the inner groove to compensate for inner groove tracking distortion ( the new stuff is out of phase and should in theory cancel out the tracking distortion) given a choice I turned it off every time "pure note" music turned up ( violins pianos etc etc ) because it did not work out very well
but it really helped out on some rock stuff

BBE aphex and the like all add harmonic stuff to the program material
i have sidechained (1 or 2 % )those in the past for such an effect and it worked out well
then those thing became mass produced and cheap making them client dubious items ...pity
Old 14th August 2008
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
The Thermionic and the Hedd both look like good options.
Do any of these have the ability to control the frequency range being affected?
Each of the Phoenix plugs have a flavor area they enhance.
I want a box with 5 knobs:
Luminescent
Iridescent
Radiant
Dark Essence
& Luster

(I hope they're reading this in Wisconsin....Dave Hill)

A you mentioned it is probably worth a try . I mean speaking to Mr Genius D. Hill.

The IBIS with colour control selectable per band is doing something like what you are looking for. If instead of a single colour you could choose between different shades............... maybe
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Addict

Luminescent
Iridescent
Radiant
Dark Essence
& Luster

Are these limiting the frequencies that harmonics are added to, derived from, or are they enhancing different orders (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th, etc)?
Old 14th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanstoner View Post
Luminescent
Iridescent
Radiant
Dark Essence
& Luster

Are these limiting the frequencies that harmonics are added to, derived from, or are they enhancing different orders (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th, etc)?
If I understand correctly (which is a stretch) each plug has a target range and you can select different harmonic series within that band: gold, opal, etc.
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
& Larry
We have Rodney Rude. heh

Rodney Rude
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
...but i digress.
You seem to be familiar with all of the above. Which do you feel would be most applicable to reinforce parts of a mix that need that boost that eq can't quite give? Most useful for the ME who can't go get them all.
I realize they all have their own unique qualities.... but which one would get used most often.
The biggest bang for your buck is going to be Phoenix if you're just going for color. Sometimes I use a combination of Phoenix and color addition or subtraction on the Ibis. I would say that the STC-8 is going to give you the least with regard to color factor. Quite honestly I don't even use it, I think the KI feature is better for something like tracking vocals than mastering. The HEDD is also a great unit, but I felt a preference for a real tube device.

In summary, if color is the main concern I would probably choose the HEDD. If cost and color is a concern, or if you have other units that can impart a tube sound and only want tape emulation, Phoenix. If you need a good EQ in addition to a good crayon, the Ibis. There are of course other options. Best to listen and then decide.
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Addict

Do any of the aforementioned units allow you to bypass the unaffected signal and listen to only the added harmonic distortion? I think the Aphex Aural Exciter did this...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search