The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eq for bass in mastering Equalisers (HW)
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Eq for bass in mastering

Which Eq's have you used that have the most solid bass? Sontec, Miilena ff, maselec, etc for highs. Massive passive, Gyraf g14 etc for mids, Portico, 1073, etc for colour. But what is the solid thick chocolatey well defined bass eq? GML?
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post
Which Eq's have you used that have the most solid bass? Sontec, Miilena ff, maselec, etc for highs. Massive passive, Gyraf g14 etc for mids, Portico, 1073, etc for colour. But what is the solid thick chocolatey well defined bass eq? GML?
This may be an outsider, but I really like the Summit EQP-200B for a bass boost. But it's not "chocolatey". Don't think of it as soft, thick and smearing. Think of it as punchy, tight, dry - but in a well rounded, elegant way though.

The unit itself is very limited though (pultec design). Pretty much a one trick pony in my view, unfortunately.
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I love my Masterpiece II. I have several options to add bass thickness or definition.

1. EQ... both peak and shelving
2. Classic transformer module using low input filter
3. Tape emulation using low input filter
4. Variphase using low input filter

I've had the IBIS, Massive Passive and now have the Millennia NSEQ-2 and finding i use it mostly for EQ above 6k

Regards,
Bruce
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Nut

I use sometimes the Neumann PEVc because they sound warm , something also very intersting is using kind of EE filter or the vertical bass cut from Neve, When the low frequencies are in mono they have more impact and definition ...

With digital , the weiss eq1 is a good one ...
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering View Post
I love my Masterpiece II. I have several options to add bass thickness or definition.

1. EQ... both peak and shelving
2. Classic transformer module using low input filter
3. Tape emulation using low input filter
4. Variphase using low input filter

I've had the IBIS, Massive Passive and now have the Millennia NSEQ-2 and finding i use it mostly for EQ above 6k

Regards,
Bruce
You and your masterpiece II! If I had a big wad of cash i would definitely have one of them. You lucky bugger.

If I had money to invest I would basically buy one of those, a system 6000, an alpha compressor, a weiss DS1-MK3, a Phoenix and a prismsound Orpheus. And be done with it!heh

about $60 000.00
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I had money to invest I would basically buy one of those, a system 6000, an alpha compressor, a weiss DS1-MK3, a Phoenix and a prismsound Orpheus. And be done with it!heh
oh, but you'll never be done with it...

life long learning, a somewhat irrational love for gear and the diversity of the material coming in will make sure there's always a piece of gear that you'll really want to give a go...
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

So true
Old 13th August 2008
Here for the gear

I master a lot of electronic music. Of what I've tried and used to fatten anemic synths/kicks, I've preferred the GML 8200 and Chandler ToneControls to the api 5500, lil freqs, Fearns, cranesong fwiw. The TCs from the color dept the 8200 from the "excited straight wire" dept but both have very powerful bass thickening/boosting ability. Someone i'm sure might argue with the Fearn and maybe the 5500 conclusion but thats been my experience. Love and kept the lil freqs btw for all its other features, and wish I had the Cranesong for its high end.
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Sontec - sure. It can give a real "vinyl" tight bottom end. Or the Forsell mod Millennia for a broad stroke. Or the Massive. Or the API 550m for a touch of 50 or 100 "oomph". They each have their sound and thus each have their applications.
Old 13th August 2008
Gear Addict

for bass eq i use the KLEIN & HUMMEL UE100, its the biggest bass on earth... without sounding bad...
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAcid View Post
for bass eq i use the KLEIN & HUMMEL UE100, its the biggest bass on earth... without sounding bad...
VERY good choice!! Another for the UE100s. Sadly I don't have them anymore..

What works for me is MassivePassive (try HiPass-filter & bass boost comined)

Also the 2055 is a good choice sometimes..
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomshanka View Post
Sontec - sure. It can give a real "vinyl" tight bottom end. Or the Forsell mod Millennia for a broad stroke. Or the Massive. Or the API 550m for a touch of 50 or 100 "oomph". They each have their sound and thus each have their applications.
Hey Jack does the sontec do the same kind of tightening as a GML in that region? GML just seemed to smoke the competition in the bass region but if sontec are better, well....
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Hi,
(it's Adam here, btw) You know, the Sontec (MES 432) really has no comparison in our experience. For a slight low shelf cut, or tight (up to 15dB/oct bell) boost.. hey, these things were made for cutting records, so I find it little wonder that making corrections with it, whilst not calling attention to itself sonically like others can, simply does the job really very well. Are you Melb or Sydney? pm me to arrange a visit if you like.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Oh sorry Adam I just read the signature. Sydney btw. Love to visit but haven't been to Melbourne in years. Was thinking of the 250 vs GML actually. MES 432 is even better isn't it?
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Addict

Verified Member
bass is always spelt "pultec" around here
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Addict

I mix a maselec, gml 9500 and the maselec mastering console, together these can produce very tight,controlled heavy bass.
Works epecially well on electronic music.

I like the manley or summit for warmer acoustic creamyness....
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

I'm beginning to miss the Summit reading this thread... had to let the unit go though. 2 rack spaces for use of a single band in 1/20 projects is hardly economical, space wise.

Does anyone know of a nice single rack space pultec style stereo EQ? Or better yet, a pultec style low band with a nice airy high band? A single rack unit marriage of the summit and the NSEQ2 ff maybe

Or maybe I should just call a carpenter and get additional rack space in my console...
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Addict

Verified Member
I like the Maselec (the black one) for bass boosts, especially the bell, though it depends on the track, yada...

The new toy here is the Passeq. It has a really big sounding low shelf. I like it for stuff in the very low-end. 10 or 18 Hz can really get things going down there. Of coarse it has an effect well above those frequency points.
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Maniac

GML for a very tight bass!!

...Gyraf is not only good for the mid sections...bass and highs (very 'natural') are beautiful!
Old 27th August 2008
Audio Alchemist

Right, I agree on that. The G14 is extremely good in all frequencies: bass, mids and highs.
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Nut

Dare is suggest a pair of A-Designs EM-PEQ's? They are colored through the top (in my limited experience with them)...but when they do work, they out-do anything else I own (API 5500, Crane Song), although I don't own a GML, Sontec, or Gyraf unfortunately.

Very tight, solid bass - a solid state pultec. Not sure yet if these modules are mastering grade for mixes, though. But they can work in certain situations.
Old 13th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering View Post
Or maybe I should just call a carpenter and get additional rack space in my console...
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I always thought compressors were used for tight bass.

some reggea line up right now .... weiss-ds1 < 200 Hz - weiss EQ-1 cuts on ^60 HZ and ^ 110 HZ - tubetech smc-2B on < 60 Hz - maselec-mea-2 cut < 22 Hz - C2

ok now the base is in control ... rough UK mix though ..
Old 14th September 2008
Here for the gear

Let there be bass: Telefunken w695
Old 14th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Right, I agree on that. The G14 is extremely good in all frequencies: bass, mids and highs.
How many rack units is the G14 high? And does it get hot? (I'm proposing a heat scale starting with the cranesong STC-8 [cool], going up all the way to the Manley Vari-Mu [freakin hot].)
Old 14th September 2008
Lives for gear

The low shelf on my Sontec leaves nothing to be desired for me anyway. Fwiw.
Old 14th September 2008
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
How many rack units is the G14 high? And does it get hot? (I'm proposing a heat scale starting with the cranesong STC-8 [cool], going up all the way to the Manley Vari-Mu [freakin hot].)
The STC-8 can actually get very hot! But I'd say the G14 is not that hot - nothing like the Manley which is a freaking boiler.

The G14 is 3U.

BTW, here's a review in Tape Op.
http://www.popmusic.dk/temp/G14-Review.pdf
Old 14th September 2008
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
The STC-8 can actually get very hot! But I'd say the G14 is not that hot - nothing like the Manley which is a freaking boiler.

The G14 is 3U.

I think it should be copyright safe to post this due to the nature of the magazine.
Old 14th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post

The G14 is 3U.

I think it should be copyright safe to post this due to the nature of the magazine.
Thanks. Why oh why do units have to be 3U? I have one space-waster in my rack already. I know some people like it big, the whole vintage look thing - and I guess it makes assembly slightly easier in the building stage, but it would be really nice if manufacturers thought of practicality too.
Old 14th September 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Oh sorry Adam I just read the signature. Sydney btw. Love to visit but haven't been to Melbourne in years. Was thinking of the 250 vs GML actually. MES 432 is even better isn't it?
I have to say that lately I've been digging the Neve 2087 on the bass (2x1081 in stereo). Have been using a sontec 432 as well, lovely tight low end, but in a way i still prefer the maselec for the flexibility in the low and high shelves. The closest to the Neve would have to be the ITI 230...which is similar to the GML just a bit warmer...I think Adam at Sonamax is selling his if you check gear for sale. Any of the above EQs will get the job done.

Definitely not a big fan of the massive passive on low end, not big on how the transients are lost to my ears anyway. Still a lovely EQ.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search