The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Our newly designed web site is up Modular Synthesizers
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Our newly designed web site is up

If you would be so kind our new website Acoustik Musik Ltd: Audio and Digital Audio Mastering, Audio Restoration, Media Transfers, Radio-Show Production, Audio Technical Support, and Forensic work: Located in Oberlin, OH just outside Cleveland! is up and running and I would appreciate any and all comments on it from the members of this board.

We also had both of our logos redesigned and they are also on the new web-page.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, comments or suggestions.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Much better than before!
Congrats!

Btw, what are your speakers standing on?

/ Jonas
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertone View Post
Much better than before!
Congrats!

Btw, what are your speakers standing on?

/ Jonas

Thanks for the nice words.

Granite surface blocks that are measurement grade accurate to 1/10000 of an inch. We got them from an industrial supply place. Here is their web address.
HGR Industrial Surplus - We sell everything - Search Inventory Results

It is about 45 miles from here and it is an amazing place. It is about 13 acres under one roof and use to be a automobile factory. You can get anything from watch screws to 40 foot long plastic injection molding machines and everything else in between. Most of our tables and chairs came from there.

There is also a piece of granite under our Bryston 4B ST.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Looks great.

My only thought was "what do you actually do ?"

Mixing, Mastering? General Midi backing tracks?

What can you do for me before I click to another page that looks fairly similar, kind of thing.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Looks great, though I think you could use a longer title. heh
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

I felt strange without the mouse changing when I moved the cursor over the various links.
The one link to the video production site did change to a finger when I moused over it....

I liked the animation for the picture when you click on the home page!
Old 8th August 2008
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Much better than your old one!

Alright, here's what bugged me:

1) Not sticking to one justification. It's a mixture of left aligned and center aligned. Stick with left justified text all the way. I.e About Us (left) and Rates (centered).

2) Not using the same font color for text. Services (dark grey), About Us (light grey) and Contact (white).

3) Contact page is misaligned, page is pushed down.

4) Contact page link to About Us and Services is dead links.

5) About Us page link to Contact is a dead link.

6) Navigation jumps around from the Home page, i.e. misaligned.

There are lot more of these issues, so I would suggest "proofreading" the site for these design errors. And check in various browsers and platforms such as IE7, Firefox (PC), Firefox (Mac) and Safari (Mac).

Stuff like that just looks very unprofessional to me so I think you could be losing customers on that account, and that would be a shame!
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
thomas, with all respect ... I would really suggest to let someone with more exp. build a site for you .. your site is way off a good design.

it's like the complaints on the web-designer forums " well everybody with frontpage feels like a real web designer"
same as us ME's tend to talk about "well all guys with a PC & Izotope & a bedroom think their ME's"....
you get the point ...

take a look at the link/templates and pick one you like , there are enough guys who can fix the template for you .. It won't break the Bank.

Fully functional, royalty-free Flash Web Site templates for SWiSH Max2 and SWiSH Max

the web is full with amazing swish templates form $ 20,00 till $ 200,00 just do a search on swish templates.

greetings Wim
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
We made many of the changes suggested. Thanks for all the help and comments. The person that is doing this is NOT a professional web designer but IMHO he is very good at what he does. He just graduated from college with a degree in Art and Photography and History so he knows what he is doing he just lacks some experience at doing it in the professional arena. Give him a couple of years and he is going to be FANTASTIC.

The truthful comments you all gave were GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks to all who replied.s

Any additional comments would also be welcome.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
If you would be so kind our new website Acoustik Musik Ltd: Audio and Digital Audio Mastering, Audio Restoration, Media Transfers, Radio-Show Production, Audio Technical Support, and Forensic work: Located in Oberlin, OH just outside Cleveland! is up and running and I would appreciate any and all comments on it from the members of this board.

We also had both of our logos redesigned and they are also on the new web-page.

Maybe it's just me but, I think you are not listening to left side bass frequencies too good because of the position of your gear rack.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
The person that is doing this is NOT a professional web designer but IMHO he is very good at what he does. He just graduated from college with a degree in Art and Photography and History so he knows what he is doing he just lacks some experience at...

Any additional comments would also be welcome.
Hi, part of my current day job involves web editing (I work for the University of Southern California) and have been fortunate to attend training sessions taught by some of the best web developers on the planet.

On IE 7, the only thing I can see that I can click is a "Links" rollover image that is at the very far right side of the page. There's nothing on the main page that I can click that says "services", "about us", etc. I found myself mousing over the image to see if that's what I was supposed to do (most people wouldn't bother doing that and would hit the "back" button instead - see ya).

Even though most people hate IE, it is the most widely used brower and you have to code for IE compatibility, more than any other browser (yes, regardless of how much cooler Firefox & Safari are).

Your clients don't know who coded the page and how great of a person he truly is; they want to navigate your site, not buy your developer a beer. There are "navigation" guidelines that developers follow, these are simply things like "where are most people used to seeing menus on web pages?" You have to follow that in order to have a site that people would be willing to navigate (tip: most pages' links are on the left side of the page).

A lot of web developers go for the "unusual" in their design - this is a bad move. It's great for art galleries, but in the world of the internet, when people can't navigate a site with ease, they quickly move on to something else.

I would seriously invest in a pro web developer! You have a great room, and it's the same as when you have a great project (nice recordings, excellent mixes) and you expect them to seek a pro masterer to take it to the next level.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
Maybe it's just me but, I think you are not listening to left side bass frequencies too good because of the position of your gear rack.
There are some matching racks on the other side of the studio (that you cannot see) that are the same as the ones on the left and our acoustical engineer has measured the room with and without the rack in place and there is no differences in bass response between the left and right sides. Thanks for your input.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
There are some matching racks on the other side of the studio (that you cannot see) that are the same as the ones on the left and our acoustical engineer has measured the room with and without the rack in place and there is no differences in bass response between the left and right sides. Thanks for your input.
Please, do not take it personal as I truly want to understand or be helpful to you. But, if they were aligned in parallel, wouldn't i see that on your picture?
Old 8th August 2008
Audio Alchemist

Checked again and almost all of my points are still not fixed?
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Checked again and almost all of my points are still not fixed?
The website is being redone. We ran into some problems with IE7 that were just really strange and my web designer had to rethink some ways he was doing the web pages. I guess IE7 does not like tables. He is going to repost it tomorrow with all the fixes that were suggested that he can do.

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions and I am sure he will try to fix as many of them as he can.

I will let you know when the site is up again.

Thanks again!
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
Please, do not take it personal as I truly want to understand or be helpful to you. But, if they were aligned in parallel, wouldn't i see that on your picture?
It is just the way the picture was cropped. Please belive me that our acoustical designer has done the measurements and everything is as it should be. Thanks for trying to help. I really appreciate it.
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Hey Tom, looking forward to seeing the final result,
hope things are good with you chum, just thought i'd say hi and thanks for all the help you gave in the past
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ged Leitch View Post
Hey Tom, looking forward to seeing the final result,
hope things are good with you chum, just thought i'd say hi and thanks for all the help you gave in the past

Good to see you around the forum again. Take care.
Old 10th August 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Our site is back up. Most of the problems were fixed and we added an equipment list. I don't understand web site design but it turned out out to be a small problem with the way that IE7 handles tables on the web page. Our web designer had to spend about two hours redoing some of the HTML Code and now it all works on all browsers. YEA!

Thanks again for all the feedback. Any more suggestions would also be appreciated but please don't say start over with a professional web designer. It is not an option at the present time maybe sometime in the future when we have more funds. Our original site lasted 10 years, our last site lasted 6 months. Hopefully this one will last longer than that one.

For those of you that asked me we are using Dream Weaver for the website design on a Mac.

We are going to be adding some additional items to the website as time and money permit. We want to have a client's comment's page and a page of before and after mastering examples and are currently corresponding with our clients for permission to use their comments as well as some of their work. It will probably take us some amount of time to accomplish this but just wanted to let you know what is in the works.
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It looks great now on IE7!

The only thing I would suggest is to make all of the menu images "rollovers" in all of your pages, not just on the home page.
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear
Looks pretty bad to me. Very generic, cheap looking. This is an area where I am an expert!

IMO, clean small simple fonts, and basic organization is the best bet, if you aren't going to use a pro graphic designer.

Then again, I don't know your audience, so perhaps they arent as anal as I am.

Anyone get my point? LOL
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Addict

Verified Member
I think it looks fine.
Clean up the wires and get some fake plants.
Nice room, looks like a comfortable place to work.
Good information is easily available. (no discography?)
I personally wouldn't post rates.

Joe
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeaudio View Post
I think it looks fine.
Clean up the wires and get some fake plants.
Nice room, looks like a comfortable place to work.
Good information is easily available. (no discography?)
I personally wouldn't post rates.

Joe
The wires are being cleaned up as of this afternoon. We just got too busy and kept adding stuff but did not take the time to "neaten" everything up. We made a couple of half hearted attempts but ..... just not enough time. It all works GREAT but just does not look as good as it could.

As to the plants. They are there you just can't see them. There is also a whole rack in front of the outside window (right side of picture) that we did not include in the photograph.

It is a very comfortable space and I have done some 14 hours mastering sessions and NOT been tired when they were over. Clients seem to love to work here and like the natural light that is part of the studio.

The discography is part of the update that we are planning.

Thanks for the observations.
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
Looks pretty bad to me. Very generic, cheap looking. This is an area where I am an expert!

IMO, clean small simple fonts, and basic organization is the best bet, if you aren't going to use a pro graphic designer.

Then again, I don't know your audience, so perhaps they arent as anal as I am.

Anyone get my point? LOL
Thanks for the observations. We tried to make it look good. What specifically are you upset about? Thanks in advance.
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
It looks great now on IE7!

The only thing I would suggest is to make all of the menu images "rollovers" in all of your pages, not just on the home page.

I will take that up with our web designer. Thanks!
Old 9th March 2012
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Our new and improved website is up and I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Here is our Website's address: Acoustik Musik and Room With A View Productions
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Our new and improved website is up and I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Here is our Website's address: Acoustik Musik and Room With A View Productions
The site doesn't work on iphone / ipad.
Old 10th March 2012
Gear Nut

Glaringly obvious fault with the site...

Pretty much the whole top half is taken up by the logo and the menu, so there is not enough room for the body of the page. Its a lovely logo, but every page except for contacts and links is therefore cropped, meaning you have to scroll down each time. There is plenty of room on a computer screen to display all the info there, so there should be no need to scroll at all. Make the logo smaller, shift it to the left, and put the menu on the right. Bring all the text up.

Newspapers sell based on what's on the top half - they don't sell if you have to open it up to see what's on the bottom half.

Don't waste the top half, fill it
Old 10th March 2012
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubStudio View Post
Glaringly obvious fault with the site...

Pretty much the whole top half is taken up by the logo and the menu, so there is not enough room for the body of the page. Its a lovely logo, but every page except for contacts and links is therefore cropped, meaning you have to scroll down each time. There is plenty of room on a computer screen to display all the info there, so there should be no need to scroll at all. Make the logo smaller, shift it to the left, and put the menu on the right. Bring all the text up.

Newspapers sell based on what's on the top half - they don't sell if you have to open it up to see what's on the bottom half.

Don't waste the top half, fill it
Thanks for your input. I will talk it over with our web designer.
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Seems to be web site week on gearsultz.

1) Domain root / Landing page.
Webcrawlers don't like it and I never have. I already decided to come to your site why do I have to make an other decision to either take a blue pill or a red pill.

If you want to have two separate sites / separate them an other domain will cost you between 12 - 50 dollars a year and unless you host at darkagesmedievalhosting.com you should be be able to append it to your current server.

Or join them up with a domain prefix. i.e:
RoomWithAView.acoustikmusik.com
Mastering.acoustikmusik.com
Restoration.acoustikmusik.com

You web-master(?) is a very good photographer, probably should put some of those awesome picture taking skills to use and add a splash of color. You will get better mileage for creative designs by Fixing that page width.

Pages should degrade gracefully when seen on smaller resolutions than anticipated but they should not just expand to mush and fill my screen with miles of white space when viewed on large monitors at high resolution.

Pick a page width / stick to it / then you can design and plan your site the same way a magazine does, live within the horizontal limits of your page, expand vertically if you want to but more than 3 pages down is a stretch for the majority of people.

Text / Repeating Text and more Text, consistent theming ect....

Avoid flash if you can for now, it is a useful container for videos and media players due to its streaming capabilities but one does pay the price when it comes to compatibility across the many platforms that people currently browse on.

A light very thin version should be drawn up for mobile devices you can use the request headers from the browser itself as a redirect to a mobile optimized site.

BTW not certain WordPress is an idea platform for such a small site, your text does not seem to be coded in a way that would maximize portability which would be the only reason one would use WP such a small scale. What that basically means is that you can change your entire site's look, keep all your text and the template and new css give you a whole new look without touch the structure of your pages and what is on them.

Never saw the old site, but seems like you are moving forward and as long as you are trying to get there then you are doing better than most people.

good luck with it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search