The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Our newly designed web site is up Modular Synthesizers
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRCHON View Post
Seems to be web site week on gearsultz.

1) Domain root / Landing page.
Webcrawlers don't like it and I never have. I already decided to come to your site why do I have to make an other decision to either take a blue pill or a red pill.

If you want to have two separate sites / separate them an other domain will cost you between 12 - 50 dollars a year and unless you host at darkagesmedievalhosting.com you should be be able to append it to your current server.

Or join them up with a domain prefix. i.e:
RoomWithAView.acoustikmusik.com
Mastering.acoustikmusik.com
Restoration.acoustikmusik.com

You web-master(?) is a very good photographer, probably should put some of those awesome picture taking skills to use and add a splash of color. You will get better mileage for creative designs by Fixing that page width.

Pages should degrade gracefully when seen on smaller resolutions than anticipated but they should not just expand to mush and fill my screen with miles of white space when viewed on large monitors at high resolution.

Pick a page width / stick to it / then you can design and plan your site the same way a magazine does, live within the horizontal limits of your page, expand vertically if you want to but more than 3 pages down is a stretch for the majority of people.

Text / Repeating Text and more Text, consistent theming ect....

Avoid flash if you can for now, it is a useful container for videos and media players due to its streaming capabilities but one does pay the price when it comes to compatibility across the many platforms that people currently browse on.

A light very thin version should be drawn up for mobile devices you can use the request headers from the browser itself as a redirect to a mobile optimized site.

BTW not certain WordPress is an idea platform for such a small site, your text does not seem to be coded in a way that would maximize portability which would be the only reason one would use WP such a small scale. What that basically means is that you can change your entire site's look, keep all your text and the template and new css give you a whole new look without touch the structure of your pages and what is on them.

Never saw the old site, but seems like you are moving forward and as long as you are trying to get there then you are doing better than most people.

good luck with it.
Actually we have a pro photographer on our staff who took the pictures.

As to the rest...thanks for taking the time to reply and give me some ideas. I will discuss them with our web designer.

Thanks again!!!! for your time and trouble.

Be safe!
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering View Post
The site doesn't work on iphone / ipad.
My web designer is looking into the problem. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Addict

Using Flash in 2012?? :/

I can't see it on the devices I do 80% of my browsing on. Bummer.
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieur x View Post
Using Flash in 2012?? :/

I can't see it on the devices I do 80% of my browsing on. Bummer.
WE are working on it and may ditch the Flash altogether. It is number one on my discussions with my web designer. Thanks very much for your input.
Old 26th January 2015
Gear Guru

Verified Member
OK so we took all of your suggestions (thank you very much) and put up a newly designed website. See what you think...

Thanks in advance!

Here is the site Accoustik Musik Ltd.

It has taken a while but I think the work involved was worth it.
Old 26th January 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
That looks good. Easy to navigate, I can find what I want and it looks professional. I like it.
Old 26th January 2015
Lives for gear
looks good! simple and clean. and i like that you have pix of yourself and your staff. makes it more personable than just shots of a room full of gear. i'm redoing my site and am forcing myself to stick a pic of my ugly mug on there. anyway, nice work.
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Very Nice Tom, well done ! ... good to see you in person
Old 28th January 2015

It looks good. Nice colors and fonts. Easy on the eyes except for the two pictues of you.
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

You give lots of younger guys hope...
Old 28th January 2015

^Or at least move the coaster.
Old 29th January 2015
Very nice! Simple and clean with an easy to navigate interface.
Old 29th January 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
congrats Thomas!
very nicely done indeed,
I am working on some new fresh design too, and I see I can learn from your ideas,
well done!

and good luck !
Old 13th February 2015
Lives for gear

It looks very good both in a browser and the code is clean and hierarchical.
The Ui/UX is clear and navigation is easy. The information is well presented and machine scan-able.

Great job, I hope it pays off, you did it right.
Old 15th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Bug report: The contact page has a title of "Modern Business - Start Bootstrap Template".
Old 15th February 2015
Lives for gear

what you report sounds like a html meta tag omission...a real web designer would never forget to update page meta tags, at least mine doesn't...
Old 15th February 2015
Gear Addict

Hi Thomas,

I'm joining this discussion a bit late but wanted to say congratulations on 20+ years in the business (!), and your new site looks great to my eyes. I'm no web or layout expert, but it looks nice and clean. I am running a few machines, using largely Chrome.

Best of luck and continued success, to you!
Rob
Old 15th February 2015
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyedmic View Post
Bug report: The contact page has a title of "Modern Business - Start Bootstrap Template".
I am not seeing that on my browser (Firefox 35.0.1) on my Mac or PC. What browser are you using?
Old 15th February 2015
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMastering View Post
Hi Thomas,

I'm joining this discussion a bit late but wanted to say congratulations on 20+ years in the business (!), and your new site looks great to my eyes. I'm no web or layout expert, but it looks nice and clean. I am running a few machines, using largely Chrome.

Best of luck and continued success, to you!
Rob
Thanks so much for all the nice comments. Our web designer is a pro and really did some GREAT work for us. Thanks to everyone who has replied. If you do see something out of place or strange please let me know so we can correct it.
Old 15th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I am not seeing that on my browser (Firefox 35.0.1) on my Mac or PC. What browser are you using?
Thomas, just hover your mouse over the browser's tab, it should say what the user saw...
Old 15th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Chromium on OS X 10.9.5.

Here's the culprit from the HTML code. Just a simple omission.

Code:
<head>

<meta charset="utf-8">
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
    <meta name="description" content="">
    <meta name="author" content="">

<title>Modern Business - Start Bootstrap Template</title>

<!-- Bootstrap Core CSS -->
    <link href="css/bootstrap.min.css" rel="stylesheet">

<!-- Custom CSS -->
    <link href="css/modern-business.css" rel="stylesheet">

<!-- Custom Fonts -->
    <link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Karla' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>

<!-- HTML5 Shim and Respond.js IE8 support of HTML5 elements and media queries -->
    <!-- WARNING: Respond.js doesn't work if you view the page via file:// -->
    <!--[if lt IE 9]>
        <script src="https://oss.maxcdn.com/libs/html5shiv/3.7.0/html5shiv.js"></script>
        <script src="https://oss.maxcdn.com/libs/respond.js/1.4.2/respond.min.js"></script>
    <![endif]-->

</head>
Old 15th February 2015
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyedmic View Post
Chromium on OS X 10.9.5.

Here's the culprit from the HTML code. Just a simple omission.

Code:
<head>

<meta charset="utf-8">
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
    <meta name="description" content="">
    <meta name="author" content="">

<!-- Bootstrap Core CSS -->
    <link href="css/bootstrap.min.css" rel="stylesheet">

<!-- Custom CSS -->
    <link href="css/modern-business.css" rel="stylesheet">

<!-- Custom Fonts -->
    <link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Karla' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>

<!-- HTML5 Shim and Respond.js IE8 support of HTML5 elements and media queries -->
    <!-- WARNING: Respond.js doesn't work if you view the page via file:// -->
    <!--[if lt IE 9]>
        <script src="https://oss.maxcdn.com/libs/html5shiv/3.7.0/html5shiv.js"></script>
        <script src="https://oss.maxcdn.com/libs/respond.js/1.4.2/respond.min.js"></script>
    <![endif]-->

</head>
Thank you. I will pass this on to our web designer. I still cannot duplicate the error here.
Old 15th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you. I will pass this on to our web designer. I still cannot duplicate the error here.
Tom,

If you hover your mouse on the browser tab you will see it.

This line in the code:

should be something like:
<title>Contact Us</title>
Old 22nd February 2015
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Thanks for the help. We got the issue resolved. vyedmic thanks so much for the clue as to where the problem was in the code. To everyone else THANKS so much!!! I really think the people on this forum are some of the best in the business and ALWAYS helpful. Have a GREAT weekend! and be safe!
Old 22nd February 2015
Hey Thomas,

while you're there, ask your web dev to compress banner_1.jpg a little more. Right now, it's almost 5MB, which is way too much imho. It took me almost 20sec before the slideshow images appeared.
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post
Hey Thomas,

while you're there, ask your web dev to compress banner_1.jpg a little more. Right now, it's almost 5MB, which is way too much imho. It took me almost 20sec before the slideshow images appeared.

It's 4,928px × 3,264px to be exact. I guess this is his "intern" doing the work? FWIW.
Old 22nd February 2015
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post
Hey Thomas,

I will mention it to our web designer.
Old 22nd February 2015
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMS View Post
It's 4,928px × 3,264px to be exact. I guess this is his "intern" doing the work? FWIW.
Why does everything you post about have to have a negative slant to it. I don't know what YOUR website looks like since you post here anomalously and you don't have a link to your website. I on the other hand am proud of what my web designer can and has done and I freely post my name and my website for others to look at. If you have some constructive comments I welcome them otherwise just stay silent...if you please.
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

I am sorry Thomas. I used interns in the past to make my website and they did a great job, so I didn't mean anything by it. Here is "constructive comments" for you:
Just tell your web designer that "banner_1.jpg" inside the images folder of your root directory, should be at most the same size as banner_2.jpg (1,920px × 1,080px) with 155 KB.

Tell him to change size & dimensions, that's all. As Fabien pointed out, that image will most likely discourage smartphone users and online people with low speeds to view your web site.

You can always check your media files on Firefox by going to your menu on top: Tools> Page Info > Media.

I hope this helps...
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Assuming you aren't paying your designer by an hourly rate, here is an optimized copy that will save you a few bucks. Bear in mind that banner_1 is a lot higher than the other 2, so the best memory size is 300 KB which is still not bad and should address the memory size issue. Try replacing it via FTP....
Attached Thumbnails
Our newly designed web site is up-banner_1.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search