The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering consoles Monitor Controllers
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Mastering consoles

With some near future outboard purchases planned as well as my vinyl cutting it is time to get a proper mastering console with the routings I need.

Objectives:
Quickly insert 1-4 compressor/eq/etc units into chain.
For vinyl cutting send signal to two outputs at the same level.
good metering.

routing into/out of the converters easily done now. so not a worry.

Does not seem to be ANYTHING under 5k.
There is a neumann Sp transfer console on ebay but who knows how much work it needs.
Manley custom console seems like decent option.

any thoughts GS?
Old 6th August 2008
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
i built mine for half that, completely passive and pretty simple.

the only tricky thing would be the metering, but not super tricky.
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Addict

Verified Member
turtlerock

yes buy the transfer console on ebay !
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlerock View Post
Yikes!

Ask Mr. Paul Gold about this one.

Joe
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Shhhhhhh! heh
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

that neumann console has been on ebay for weeks. its packed up and i am not sure when was last in use. after finding the $ to pick it up then need time+money to get it working!
and not even an eE in it!
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietrich10 View Post
With some near future outboard purchases planned as well as my vinyl cutting it is time to get a proper mastering console with the routings I need.

Objectives:
Quickly insert 1-4 compressor/eq/etc units into chain.
For vinyl cutting send signal to two outputs at the same level.
good metering.

routing into/out of the converters easily done now. so not a worry.

Does not seem to be ANYTHING under 5k.
There is a neumann Sp transfer console on ebay but who knows how much work it needs.
Manley custom console seems like decent option.
Although Manley ceased making the custom consoles like ours a while back. They have the 'Backbone' now, without the monitor control & metering.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Addict

Verified Member
gee my thoughts are if you actually want to cut vinyl then hell yes buy the neumann , and if i has issues fix them ..!
i used one for a decade i know how good they can be
i know what went wrong with it ( nearly nothing) over its 25years and ongoing life.

that is if you want to cut vinyl
you get a quad chn cutting console with preview post switching , monitoring etc you can get the everything complete in that auction - if you have the bucks or just the beast without the eq ...but thats no big deal easy enough to replace from ebay .

again that is you are not going to cut - just master but not actually cut ...then sure stay the hell away from it there are way better options .. manleys new thing ,maselec dangerous etc

if the neuamnn scares you a bit because you cannot read a schematic or hold an soldering iron then i would wonder in this day and age if cutting is something you really want to get into , because when something goes wrong with your lathe or the drive racks , the "hit or miss" questions about the console will seem like a stroll in the park compared to sorting out the lathe...
we have just sold our two nuemann lathes and we are very technical around here lathes should go to the guys that really want to get down to the love of it that love a challege
which is why in any shape that neumann seems like the best place to start to me
$5k doesnt seem like anywhere near enough money to get a cutting console unless your a risk taker , maybe i'll buy it ..
heathen you cashed up..?
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
heathen you cashed up..?

Rick, I'm strapped, the missus owns me until the new place is done. Maybe just 1 more eq though heh. She'll never know, unless she reads GS secretly.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

You guys can buy it and store it here for a few yrs

I have been thinking about it for weeks now. Should give in and call the seller finally.

Was initially trying to get this smaller vinyl console from friend of mine. He has two custom consoles from the 70s. One is not being used and has some neumann modules and i believe two neve modules+ needed metering which would make my days easier.

Thanks for the input guys.

I do think it is time I learned to read schematics.

D
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
That console is a project. With the modules in the picture it won't work. No preview offset module. You could jumper around it or make an attenuator. No pictures of the line amp, EE, and switching cards. Are they there? Does it come with schematics? Without them you may be sunk.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Addict

Verified Member
i have all of the schematics for a compete neumann console if anybody is on to this console but afraid of the schematic hunt- it will be a pain to copy i would have to ask the guy that owns them for permission but my tech services his console so there is at least an neumann info bank around my place if somebody gets stuck

i think the seller is offering the console complete for more money then the auction without the eqs but who knows ..?
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

One of the broadcast consoles I've seen went for about 2500 euro a week or 2 back, The bigger one on there now I'd jump on in a second for the eq's and pre's alone if I were'nt just about to start building, but hey whoever buys the whole thing will be a lucky person. I just don't have that much cash at the moment.

If I can find one in a year that would be a perfect console solution for me. I'm really keen to get say a 16 channel Neumasnn console or custom analog summing type device with super good faders with some basic switching, routing, inserts, summing and monitor section.

I have found guys selling 32 channel summing boxes with the cards from these old beasts, but all they offer is basic summing, I need more than that.

I will need to talk to you about this in the future Rick. Active or passive faders, what to use for routing, switching? Hmmmm all the good stuff to get something sleek and great sounding. Even 8 superb channels with inserts would do.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Addict

Verified Member
jeez dont talk to me about this stuff , i read a thread on passive consoles on the forum the other night , get some of these guys to talk you though it there is way more knowledge lurking around with the guys that post once a fournight here then rattling around in my little cage
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I use an SP75 and have all the schematics. My point was that from the listing there is little information about the console. The EQ's and compressors are on relay inserts. The console will pass signal without them. Other stuff is more important and would be near impossible to find.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Manley mastering backbone

http://www.manleylabs.com/BIGPIXPAGES/backbonepic.html

$4300

+ a set of dorrough meters and you are set to go?
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by just.sounds View Post
Manley mastering backbone

Manley BACKBONE big picture

$4300

+ a set of dorrough meters and you are set to go?
Too bad this box won't drive them.

Joe
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

I've asked the seller for a list of WHAT modules do come with the console but that was weeks ago. To my knowledge it is all packed up and taken apart. Chris Muth estimated 4-6k for him to go top to bottom on it and make sure it is all working.

For 7500 makes more sense to have a custom console built.

I knew there were reasons no one grabbed the SP75 for 3500

D
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Addict

Verified Member
ah now $7500 thats a different price point isnt it ..
i am sure chris muth has solutions for you with his products
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
My SP75 was in pieces when I got it. It took a couple of weeks to put it back together again. They don't sound particularly good stock. The main thing to do is rip out the summing amp for the reverb return. That thing sounds terrible. It would be about time to re cap the console. Swapping out the LF356's in the RV75's and the HT75's for something better helps too. The OV46's with the output transformers sound much better than the ones without. Go figure. Another bottleneck is the A/B path switching module. It doesn't sound great but I left it in because I use it. And the monitor section sucks.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Addict

Verified Member
ahh paul i had forgotten about the moniter section !
in the time i used one ( every day for ten years) we put three hi spec neumann supplied vol pots in the thing because it would stop tracking straight l- r after a while,
my boss just would not get us a stepped attn to solve the problem , "its nuemann leave it stock i think they know what they are doing better then you" he would say
"yeah but it pulls to the right with the volume down low" i protested .
"turn it up or buy your own studio" says the boss
i guess i did both
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

The Manley unit looks pretty good from the manual, but "how does it sound" is another thing I'd like to know. Plenty of inserts, but not sure if it's what I want.

Lucky I have a year to think about it.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
ahh paul i had forgotten about the moniter section !
in the time i used one ( every day for ten years) we put three hi spec neumann supplied vol pots in the thing because it would stop tracking straight l- r after a while,
my boss just would not get us a stepped attn to solve the problem , "its nuemann leave it stock i think they know what they are doing better then you" he would say
"yeah but it pulls to the right with the volume down low" i protested .
"turn it up or buy your own studio" says the boss
i guess i did both

heh
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

This guy does custom jobs and his prices are really good. Here is his mastering console. No idea what it sounds like. But you could contact him.

JLM Mastering Console
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gold View Post
They don't sound particularly good stock. The Another bottleneck is the A/B path switching module. It doesn't sound great but I left it in because I use it. And the monitor section sucks.
The standard routings on the SP75 are what I find attractive for my purpose. But yes the work needed as Paul mentions etc make other options look more attractive to me.

Manley does not quite have setup but I am sure its an amazing unit.
There is a guy in UK(Collin) friend is going to talk to about making two identical units for neumann lathe setups

D
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post
This guy does custom jobs and his prices are really good. Here is his mastering console. No idea what it sounds like. But you could contact him.

JLM Mastering Console

I've been thinking about that 1 also. They make some great gear.
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
JLM could make you something very nice.

A Neumann SP66 is the console to get. It's the older one. I used to use one, actually an MT66 with extra line out amps for relative disk level offset. Too bad it was huge with limited routing and monitoring. It sounded great.
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

I believe there is an SP66 at Masterdisk. Tried talking new owner into letting me rent or buy it as he was not sure he would use it or store it. In the end he decided to get it set back up.

What happened to everything from the Frankfurt Wayne and Trutone rooms?
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Nut

I owned a sp66 , a sp 72 and a sp 72S and a Neve transfert desk.

Yes , the sp66 is nice , but it works at a low nominal level , so you will have to make some change if you use a amp at +4 dBu 0 VU ...

I realy think than the the sp72 is sounding better , this is why I sold my sp66 years ago .

look for a sp72/75/79 , you will have a better tool

Yann

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search