The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering consoles Monitor Controllers
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Nut

I have a SP72S , complete but no eq .

I amnot interested in selling , but If you have parts of neumann cutting lathe , I can trade
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yann Dub View Post
Yes , the sp66 is nice , but it works at a low nominal level , so you will have to make some change if you use a amp at +4 dBu 0 VU ...

I realy think than the the sp72 is sounding better , this is why I sold my sp66 years ago .
The SP66 doesn't have a ton of headroom. It's not a good choice if you pin the meters all day. On the MT66 you could run through most of it at a reasonable level and just cream the last line stage. I think it sounds better than the SP75 when run at normal levels.

The SP72 uses PV22 line amps which are more like the PV46 line amps in the SP66. The MT66 used these PV22 as the extra line out stage. The SP72 is more like an SP66 than a SP75. The SP72/172 would be a good one to get. The sound of an SP66 with the facility of the later ones.
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Nut

Yes , it is true than the sp66 has a nice sound , generaly neumann desk are sounding good .... I heard years ago a SP75 rebuild by Flo Kaufmann and Ivo Studer , at Strato Zoo , and it was sounding incredible .
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

Still seems like I should invest in a small custom setup.
shipping your SP from belgium will be $.

going to be a few months before I can make any purchase and thanks for all the help to everyone with input.

I want to try and have the SAL74b recapped in 6 months as well.
Old 30th October 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
The Manley unit looks pretty good from the manual, but "how does it sound" is another thing I'd like to know. Plenty of inserts, but not sure if it's what I want.

Lucky I have a year to think about it.
I think you won't be dissapointed - It's a pretty clean sounding, ergonomic, low self noise design. We have received Serial #001 a couple of months ago and we have been VERY happy with our decission...
Old 31st October 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeaudio View Post
Too bad this box won't drive them.

Joe
RE: The Manley Backbone; It certainly will drive meters, using the 2nd output or a couple of other points..

Graemme

Last edited by zenmastering; 31st October 2008 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I am very happy with the Crookwood. We have an older model and since it is modular Crispin has just provided us with 2 extra analogue inserts with floating M/S. So you could have say an M/S EQ, then stereo compressor, then M/S deesser etc. This is what I like about the Crookwood- when there is an EPROM or card update it is still compatible with the older units. I've had to do a few repairs and Crispin has talked me though it on the phone, which is great support.

I think the new range is substantially lower in cost, and looks to be a good option for someone starting out that want to have room to grow.
Old 24th June 2009
Here for the gear

Cannot Decide On Transfer Console... GearSlutz Please Help!

Hi Everybody,

Building a new mastering room and the console is a bit of a contentious issue.

So far we have slimmed down to the following options but not necessary limited to:

Dangerous Music Master + Monitor + MQ
Maselec MTC-2 + Additional Metering (Undecided)
Crookwod (Less Familiar Here)

Without going the custom route can anyone shed some light on the transfer consoles and what you would suggest....
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhanson2006 View Post
Hi Everybody,

So far we have slimmed down to the following options but not necessary limited to:

Without going the custom route can anyone shed some light on the transfer consoles and what you would suggest....
My "bang for buck" solution for my own studio is:
Coleman Audio M3PHmkII monitor controller - $950 street
Manley Backbone (just put my order in for one today) - $3800 street
Logitek BVU6A 6 channel LED VU/PPM meters - about $300 on ebay

Total just over $5g's (add a bit extra over this for cabling). Well under the cost of any of your other solutions.
Footprint total 4RU. Maybe lacking a few bells and whistles but will get you through the days work elegantly and easily.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Hi Everybody,

I don't think that the processing part of the chain and the monitoring part need to be in the same device.

For example, for monitoring i use a Cranesong Avocet which i'm extremely happy with. If I wanted to expand my setup, I'd add a Crookwood analog router (perhaps with some other bells & whistles like MS, parallel etc). The only downside of this approach is certain monitoring configurations are not possible - like monitoring the analog path direct, although i don't think this is strictly necessary in mastering.
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi Everybody,

You could also consider what I have been using for a while now - a Manley Backbone and a Crane Song Avocet - for metereing I have a pair of Sifam VUs in a custom built 19" 2 RU housing and a Pinguin Software metering package (which I have been too lazy to install again on the new machine for about one year...).
I heard about dedicated metering for the Avocet with some clever features, but I'm not sure when this is going to be out or what it costs - I would probably switch if it's reasonable priced.

I'm really happy with what I have in terms of quality (sonics and built) - I don't feel there is much room of improvement with this setup, I might do a converter shoot out one day and try to hot rod or insert a different DA into the Avocet, but I'm not sure if this is possible (technically)....
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H View Post
I don't think that the processing part of the chain and the monitoring part need to be in the same device.

For example, for monitoring i use a Cranesong Avocet which i'm extremely happy with. If I wanted to expand my setup, I'd add a Crookwood analog router (perhaps with some other bells & whistles like MS, parallel etc). The only downside of this approach is certain monitoring configurations are not possible - like monitoring the analog path direct, although i don't think this is strictly necessary in mastering.
Darius, have you thought about the Manley Backbone - it should be easy to do with it since it has 2 parallel outs (processed). I use one to feed the AD and one is routed to an analog input 1 of the Avocet, and in addition I use the 'selected input' output of the Backbone to feed Avocet analog input 2, this way I can monitor the 'dry' feed and the 'processed' feed as well...

I think Hutch designed the Backbone to work and interface with the Avocet, those two units fit together perfectly...
Old 24th June 2009
Crookwood
Old 24th June 2009
Here for the gear

MPL-2, Dangerous Music Combo, Crookwood

Can anyone shed some light on the Maselec MPL-2 , specifically versus the Dangerous Music and Crookwood set ups?
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Can anyone shed some light on the Maselec MPL-2 , specifically versus the Dangerous Music and Crookwood set ups?
I've never heard of an Analog Limiter / De-Esser from Crookwood or Dangerous Music, but the MPL-2 definitely rocks.
Old 24th June 2009
Quote:
crookwood- analogue and digital routing, analogue and digital inserts,monitor routing also you can install its own converters that sound very well.
MPL-2I believe that it is another thing
Old 26th June 2009
Here for the gear

Sorry I meant to say MTC-2. Can anyone shed some light on this Vs Dangerous Music and Crookwood's offerings for a transfer console. I'm not saying money is no object but I am trying to get an honest view about their capabilities primarily. Please help guys!
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Sorry I meant to say MTC-2. Can anyone shed some light on this Vs Dangerous Music and Crookwood's offerings for a transfer console. I'm not saying money is no object but I am trying to get an honest view about their capabilities primarily. Please help guys!
Seems pretty straight forward:

http://www.maselec.com/products/mtc-2/MTC-2.pdf

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 26th June 2009
I hope that it helps you
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Crookwood M1 User guide.pdf (1.44 MB, 1201 views)
Old 26th June 2009
Here for the gear

More info..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post
Seems pretty straight forward:

http://www.maselec.com/products/mtc-2/MTC-2.pdf

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Do you have any personal experience with the MTC-2. I have the manual and all looks great but would like to know of some more personal views versus other consoles. Also can anyone tell me if you are able to re-order the inserts on the MTC-2? Thanks everyone...
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Do you have any personal experience with the MTC-2. I have the manual and all looks great but would like to know of some more personal views versus other consoles. Also can anyone tell me if you are able to re-order the inserts on the MTC-2? Thanks everyone...
Only one I know of who has a Maselec console is David Glasser at Airshow in Boulder (who uses a MTC-6).

For my own needs it's more cash than I would consider spending (I already have a monitor controller and hardware metering that works fine for my needs - but I'm getting a Manley Backbone to take care of the analog insert patching very shortly).

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 27th June 2009
Mastering

Quote:
Only one I know of who has a Maselec console is David Glasser at Airshow in Boulder (who uses a MTC-6).

For my own needs it's more cash than I would consider spending (I already have a monitor controller and hardware metering that works fine for my needs - but I'm getting a Manley Backbone to take care of the analog insert patching very shortly).

Best regards,
Steve Berson
I saw one in operation over at Chartmakers Studio in Helsinki, Finland and I was very impressed by the ergonomics and flexibility.

BK
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It's a Cadillac, like most of the stuff that Leif Mases builds.

When it's open within the next few months, the 2 new Airshow Mastering studios in Takoma Park, MD will also have MTC-2s.
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Nut

Has anybody checked SPL's 120V DMC?

I have ordered one with Masterbay 2 and hopefully in 2 weeks time I will have the unit (and will sell the Focusrite Blue 300 that I am currently using now).

The headroom is great!

BB
Old 28th November 2009
Here for the gear

The MTC-2 is brilliant...

[QUOTE=CCan anyone shed some light on the Maselec MPL-2 , specifically versus the Dangerous Music and Crookwood set ups?[/QUOTE]

While the unit is an expensive one we have just installed the Maselec MTC-2, even had the pleasure of meeting Leif Mases himself on several occasions. The unit really is worth every penny.

To mention a few of the main features it has 6 inserts (more than dangerous offering of 3 but 2 less than backbone). Everything throughout this unit is so thoroughly thought out it is remarkable. The audio path is very clean / low noise. Standard M/S is switched on inserts 1/2 but the most exciting section is the stereo width adjustment that has no effect on the mono signal. Really helpful. Also the eliptical filter (allows you to mono everything below 40Hz - 360Hz) should not only be thought of for disk cutting, it is exceptionally helpful for all masters where the low end has issues and needs some tightening.

The routing and monitoring benefits of this console are also a standout point. You can monitor the isolated output of any insert without removing it from the audio path and compare it with any other other as well as easy switching to the original source input for comparison. You can also use the extra sources to monitor paths from 2 different converters as the console has more than one output.

The monitor section also includes trims for your auxilary monitor to bring the levels into line.

Cannot recommend this unit enough.

Last edited by BlueProMastering; 28th November 2009 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: change quote
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Any Euro/UK brands to look out for?

Need something for routing around signals for an AAA mastering rig, also looking for something which could be a nice centre piece/furniture for studio!
Old 31st March 2016
I love my Crookwood, Joe. Expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Nut

I'll have a big crookwood M30 up for sale soon if anyone is interested.
11 freely configurable inserts with ms and parallel path, gains, multiple i/o for stereo and 5.1 with easy routing,
monitor control with many functions for a number of stereo and surround sets. Plus all of its cabling and the 4 panel controller.
Old 31st March 2016
Here are a couple of FCS transfer consoles.
The first one we built for Black Belt Mastering.
It can be built with swap 1&2 functionality like the one I built for +3dB Mastering.

We are working on a 1ru, DB25 based console as well.

Then there is DIY. You might want to check out Wayne Kirkwood's modular insert boards.
Precision Mid Side MS Matrix Boards and Kits
Mastering consolesStereo Insert Switcher for Mastering Two Inserts with Flip DIY Bare PC Board | eBay

Best regards,
Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Mastering consoles-atc01_front_small.jpg   Mastering consoles-pic_01_01_small.jpg  
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerFoote View Post
Here are a couple of FCS transfer consoles.
The first one we built for Black Belt Mastering.
It can be built with swap 1&2 functionality like the one I built for +3dB Mastering.

We are working on a 1ru, DB25 based console as well.

Then there is DIY. You might want to check out Wayne Kirkwood's modular insert boards.
Precision Mid Side MS Matrix Boards and Kits
Mastering consolesStereo Insert Switcher for Mastering Two Inserts with Flip DIY Bare PC Board | eBay

Best regards,
Roger
what would be a price range for these? could more swap points be added?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search