The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analog masteringchain for 15k€ Digital Converters
Old 26th June 2008
Here for the gear

Analog masteringchain for 15k€

Hi,

Let´s play some virtualshopping... If you would have about 15k€ money to burn what would be your analogchain?

I will start:

Crane Song HEDD 192 or Lavry Black/Blue
Elysia Alpha
Fairman TMEQ

I have very good room finally & lavry da10 converter to listening DA. Speakers are Lipinski + their own amps + velodyne dd12 stereosubs. Plugins I have algorithmix red and kstereo and psp xenon etc etc. So I would need some great versatile analog equipment that I could use on everything & also get some analog "Mojo"...
Old 27th June 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
My Suggestion...
2 EQs
Ted Fletcher P6
Crane Ibis

2 Compressors
Pendulum OCL2
Crane STC8

AD DA
Mytek 96 Stereo
Old 27th June 2008

Verified Member
Don't forget to include 2 good DACs, one to feed the chain, and one for monitor. In addition to processing gear, many people may remember to get a good ADC, and forget that feeding the chain with a bad DAC constrains your outcome before you even get started.
Old 28th June 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoLab View Post
Crane Song HEDD 192 or Lavry Black/Blue
Elysia Alpha $10,000
Fairman TMEQ $9,000
If you sub out the Lavry for a Mytek 8x192 ($3500) that chain starts to look familiar.
Old 28th June 2008
Here for the gear

I would like to keep things simple, I use algorithmix eq to do surgical eq and would like OTB eq to be sound shaping eq with some nice color.

Elysia looks very versatile compressor, but expensive. I have also think something api2500/STC8 + requisite L2M/OCL-2/gyraf X etc...I will have to get fairman+elysia to demo.

I have Lavry DA10 for listening DA, and like that I control my listening volume with that. That Mytek 8x192 looks also quite nice. Brian, you have mytek and HEDD, how do you compare them for adda loop? Can I use mytek for adda loop + listening da, with that volume attuator to control listening level? Lipinski and mytek would work together quite well I guess.

Do you guys use those dsp prosessing in hedd? Or is it just nice feature that you really dont use often.
Old 28th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
If you sub out the Lavry for a Mytek 8x192 ($3500) that chain starts to look familiar.
You have a Fairman? I envy you.

I have to hijack this thread now. I can't help it. How does it compare with the Massive Passive? Have you used it on electronic music with heavy basslines?

(Be objective! heh)
Old 28th June 2008
Alecio i'm glad that you like the P9 I'm using it in chain with my NSEQ-2.

2 EQ's
TFPro P9
NSEQ_2

2 comp
OCL-2
ES-8

AD/DA

Lavry Gold 122-96 MKIII
Hedd 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alécio Costa View Post
My Suggestion...
2 EQs
Ted Fletcher P6
Crane Ibis

2 Compressors
Pendulum OCL2
Crane STC8

AD DA
Mytek 96 Stereo
Old 29th June 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Hi, WBM
I have just gotten the Crane Ibis EQ.
But have an eye now at the P6.

I complement EQ tasks with Neon HR (linear phase plug-in from PSP).

Today I also bought MD3 TDM, to work together with the nice Xenon (PSP Limiter).

Single band Compression is realized by the OCL2. Multi-band,by MD3 (used to be Master X 3+5).

Now I am saving for a nice AD DA box, probably the Mytek 96 Stereo. I gave up from Apogee Rosetta 200, 192 I/O and Aurora 8.

Any comments about the Mytek 96 Stereo AD DA?

Nice tip about the 2 DACs. I imagine you guys use fancy cabling between the monitoring DAC and the monitors ( or Powr amp).
Old 29th June 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
on the TMEQ ...

I use the hedd for the last touch of harmonics only, D to D. Many use it with great success for their AD. I find it pushes everything too far forward for my chain. Last generation Mytek is not as nice as the new one. The new one beats the Blue/Black IMO and has the extra channels so you can feed the pre and post processing and the monitors from the same DA.

The Fairman as an everyday tube eq where you want size and sweetness and power that's not in the way is superior to the MP, especially nice tone with NOS tubes over the stock russians which I used for the first two years. Beautiful top end and hi or low midrange boosts. The low cut puts a bump in there that's not often useful. I use a cutting eq with hi pass, two cutters on some lesser projects, and all boosts with the TMEQ. The MP is a great mix eq for midrange dominant instruments, but the high and low ends, plus the overall clarity and size are not a contest for the simpler design, cleaner and larger tone of the TMEQ. I use one from the late 90s that I got used on Ebay for $6500. Size and sweetness for all styles.

It's is also great for mixers. A respected nashville mixer recently called and we discussed it ... he then sold his pair of custom tweaked Pultecs and loves the TMEQ. Mark Linett is also their rep in LA and he uses it for tracking and 2 mix on Brian Wilson's music as well as his many other projects, now along with the Barefoots that I've been supporting here since they were made in a bedroom, and before I introduced a Gearslut client Tetness to Barefoot, and they make the company that is jamming today.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search