The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good monitors for Mastering under 1000$ ?
Old 17th May 2008
  #1
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
Good monitors for Mastering under 1000$ ?

hello there

i want to know if there's any great monitors for mastering under 1000$ a Pair.


thank you.
Old 17th May 2008
  #2
Lives for gear
 
47radAR's Avatar
 

maybe i'm wrong...

Are you sure such a monitor exists?
Old 17th May 2008
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Alécio Costa's Avatar
 

Verified Member
I would not use anything less than the Dynaudio BM6A.
Some say BM15A would be preferrable, but a bit more expensive.
Old 17th May 2008
  #4
Lives for gear
 
DSD_Mastering's Avatar
 

Verified Member
I'm sure you could use any of the PSB, NHT, Paradigm or other passive monitors from the audiophile world. Most of these are monitors so you'll need to add a sub later.
I'd look over at Audiogon for some great prices on speakers where audiophiles like to upgrade often.

Good-luck,
Bruce
Old 17th May 2008
  #5
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
Are you sure such a monitor exists?


well i'm aware its a bit hard to find hi-end's monitors at 1000$ for mastering

but what i'm asking here is what are the best sounding monitors (without sub) i can get with my budget?
Old 17th May 2008
  #6
Lives for gear
 
MAzevedo's Avatar
 

What do you currently have? Even mid-priced speakers sound pretty good these days, for most people their room is the bigger problem. Are you sure that $1000 worth of speakers will be a bigger upgrade for you than $1000 of acoustic treatment?
Old 17th May 2008
  #7
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Verified Member
There aren't a lot below $5000!
Old 17th May 2008
  #8
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAzevedo View Post
What do you currently have? Even mid-priced speakers sound pretty good these days, for most people their room is the bigger problem. Are you sure that $1000 worth of speakers will be a bigger upgrade for you than $1000 of acoustic treatment?

currently i have a pair of Yamaha HS80 these are great for mixing but not quit good for mastering.

i need something to begin with, i have just graduated from a sound engineering school
and i'm planning to setup a small studio for mastering.
Old 17th May 2008
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Cellotron's Avatar
 

Verified Member
You can find used Thiel 3.5 & 3.6 often for under a $1000 a pair on AudiogoN high end audio auctions, classifieds, hifi chat

While not necessarilly my first choice for monitors I think you can definitely get good results mastering on them if they were paired with a good room and a good amp. fwiw - these were what Paul Zinman was using about 5 years ago when I had him master one of my string quartet's CDs.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 17th May 2008
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Virtalahde's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Used Proac Studio 100's?
Old 18th May 2008
  #11
Lives for gear
 
47radAR's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyma View Post
currently i have a pair of Yamaha HS80 these are great for mixing but not quit good for mastering.

i need something to begin with, i have just graduated from a sound engineering school
and i'm planning to setup a small studio for mastering.
I hate to change the subject, but after months of research, I'm ALMOST locked into getting a pair of HS80's. I've heard them before but never mixed on em (I have mixed on the HS50's though). What can you tell me about them? Pros/cons/and all that jazz...

To prevent the hijacking of this thread, you can respond via PM...
Old 18th May 2008
  #12
Gear interested
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyma View Post
hello there

i want to know if there's any great monitors for mastering under 1000$ a Pair.


thank you.
Enyma,

I'd would like to offer two suggestions. Bowers and Wilkins (B&W) is an English loudspeaker company who have been around since 1966. Currently they have 35 staff dedicated to nothing but research and development. A lot of what they put into their high end studio monitors trickles down to their lower priced line of loudspeakers. My other suggestion is to invest the $1000 into a pair of STAX electrostatic headphones for mastering.

Andy
Old 18th May 2008
  #13
Lives for gear
 
polybonk's Avatar
 

secondhand focal 6's for a really really good price.
Old 18th May 2008
  #14
is this psb good? PSB Speakers - Image T55 Tower

it "almost" fits the 1000 budget (949 regular price, 629 sale price at audiogon), cause i imagine you have to get a good amp...

cheers!
Old 18th May 2008
  #15
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
I hate to change the subject, but after months of research, I'm ALMOST locked into getting a pair of HS80's. I've heard them before but never mixed on em (I have mixed on the HS50's though). What can you tell me about them? Pros/cons/and all that jazz...

To prevent the hijacking of this thread, you can respond via PM...


well the hs80 sound simply amazing considering there price, simply speaking i think you will pay 2 or 3 time the price to get the same accuracy if it's anothere brand. yamaha has done a great job here.

the choice depend on your room if you have a small room the hs50 is all you need.

just go with the hs you wont regret it
Old 19th May 2008
  #16
Gear Maniac
 
ianshepherd's Avatar
 

+1 for B&Ws - the 801 series have been a staple in mastering rooms for years ( eg. Abbey Road ) and although you won't get those for anything like $1000, they have many other models available. They aren't all created equal though, so definitely listen before you buy. For example when I was shopping for some new speakers for my living room a couple of years ago, I settled on a pair of 601s, even though I could afford something more expensive - they sounded most balanced, to me, for the money I wanted to spend.

Ian
Old 19th May 2008
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyma View Post
well the hs80 sound simply amazing considering there price, simply speaking i think you will pay 2 or 3 time the price to get the same accuracy if it's anothere brand. yamaha has done a great job here.

the choice depend on your room if you have a small room the hs50 is all you need.

just go with the hs you wont regret it

+1 thumbsup
Old 20th May 2008
  #18
Gear interested
 
wakah's Avatar
 

if you have an amp already, check out;
dynaudio bm15
pmc tb2s+
quested vh2108

all around 1000$ and very good depending on your room/ears
Old 20th May 2008
  #19
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyma View Post
well i'm aware its a bit hard to find hi-end's monitors at 1000$ for mastering

but what i'm asking here is what are the best sounding monitors (without sub) i can get with my budget?
putting aside the obvious "you can't really do it" you might look at some moderately priced second hand lower end audiophile speakers. Something like B&W 603's second hand would go for 7-800 dollars if you look around. They're (nearly) full range and very clear, for the price. in the right room you could do quite well with that sort of set up, but of course no real substitute for great monitors in a great room (very very very important) with a great person running the show!
Old 21st May 2008
  #20
Lives for gear
 
dcollins's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
There aren't a lot below $5000!
I mastered a lot of records on Quested H-108's!

DC
Old 23rd May 2008
  #21
Gear Head
 

usually if you will a deal you can get the MACKIE HR-824'S FOR ALMOST ABOUT 1100

STRONG CRISP SOUND GOOD MIDS BASS LOWS BUT GOOD OVERALL FULL SOUND
Old 23rd May 2008
  #22
Gear addict
 
rkwyent's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
is this psb good? PSB Speakers - Image T55 Tower

it "almost" fits the 1000 budget (949 regular price, 629 sale price at audiogon), cause i imagine you have to get a good amp...

cheers!
Can anyone comment on these?

I'm thinking on getting these for a mix room. They are not the top of the heap but they get rave reviews from the audiophiles and many say the out do the B&W 600 series.
Old 23rd May 2008
  #23
Gear addict
 

monitors on a budget..

+1 for B&W.They do have costly top of the range stuff but its so true that the less expensive stuff is decent.Models like the 602 S3,601 s etc...and the new stuff....If you drive them with something cost-effective but good [quad,crown] 2nd hand etc..or even a good hi fi intergrated amp.You will be off to a good start!!Then i guess the room's sound is critical..It drives me mad when people say no you got to just save up for some 5k PMC s or ATCs or whatever..At the end of the day you need a set up that allows you to hear detail and top and low end well + it has to be suitable for most listening devices..car,pc etc...
You can get off to a good start with great mid priced speakers and be jumping for joy with a bargain 2nd hand purchase.BTW you could look for a pair of used PMC TB2s or DB1s.The passive ones can go for £400-700!! a real steal!!!Then you can upgrade the amp in the future...
Good luck.
Old 11th July 2008
  #24
Lives for gear
 
donsolo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEEK View Post
usually if you will a deal you can get the MACKIE HR-824'S FOR ALMOST ABOUT 1100

STRONG CRISP SOUND GOOD MIDS BASS LOWS BUT GOOD OVERALL FULL SOUND
That's the worst advise I've seen in here in quite some time.
Old 11th July 2008
  #25
kri
Gear Head
 
kri's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alécio Costa View Post
I would not use anything less than the Dynaudio BM6A.
Some say BM15A would be preferrable, but a bit more expensive.
++thumbsup I love my BM6a's when I upgrade it will be the AIR 25's
Old 11th July 2008
  #26
TRA
Lives for gear
 
TRA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
There aren't a lot below $5000!
I'm really a fan of the B&W 685 with sub.

Bob,

Have you tried the B&W speakers in the 600 range? What's your take? I'm not an expert, but they sure beat the snot out of every "studio" monitor that I've used. (The typical GC buys like Event ASP8 and such that cost way more)
Old 11th July 2008
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Franco's Avatar
 

Verified Member
I love my 685s (powering them with a SS Kenwood KM-106, bi-wiring with Tara cables).

One thing to consider about using a dollar figure as a measuring stick to gauge the quality of speakers these days is that companies like Bowers & Wilkins can now sell quality speakers at cheaper costs than ever before b'cus they have a factory in China. From what I've read, the Chinese facility is top notch and is not to be confused with your typical lead-based paint operation.

Now we can afford to drop more bread on room treatment. Thanks Bowers & Wilkins!
Old 11th July 2008
  #28
TRA
Lives for gear
 
TRA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
I love my 685s (powering them with a SS Kenwood KM-106, bi-wiring with Tara cables).

One thing to consider about using a dollar figure as a measuring stick to gauge the quality of speakers these days is that companies like Bowers & Wilkins can now sell quality speakers at cheaper costs than ever before b'cus they have a factory in China. From what I've read, the Chinese facility is top notch and is not to be confused with your typical lead-based paint operation.

Now we can afford to drop more bread on room treatment. Thanks Bowers & Wilkins!

I agree. The 685 are absolutely mind blowing. I did a shoot out between the 685 and the Natilus 805s. There was a difference, but not big enough to justify the $2000 price difference. I probably won't be upgrading from the 685 until I have enough business to afford a $5k pair of speakers.
Old 12th July 2008
  #29
Gear maniac
 
Andreas Leonhard's Avatar
 

Geithain

Hi,

check the german company Geithain on the web.

I heard theere speakers at the AES convention.

Great, great, great...

Andreas
Old 13th July 2008
  #30
Gear Addict
I use ADAM A7 in my home studio and I'm very happy with them.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
rainsinvelvet / So much gear, so little time!
28
mtlin / Low End Theory
5
Marly88 / High end
3
MorganStudios / So much gear, so little time!
2
krisstoff / So much gear, so little time!
2

Forum Jump