The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mastering for vinyl
Old 25th February 2008
Gear Head

mastering for vinyl

Mastering engineers, what do you do differently for something you know is going to vinyl as opposed to say cd?
Old 25th February 2008
Gear Addict

I shouldn't really answer this as anything that I do which goes to vinyl, I also cut the vinyl...but I will anyway!

This issue has been answered a couple of times already on this forum, most recently here

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/maste...12-master.html

This thread has some good pointers, but it's always best to speak to the engineer who wil be cutting the record. If he's got good experience and some decent gear then he will know exactly what to do anyway, and you need not worry about mix details - he'll do it for you. Oh except the 2 points about not panning bass and not having crazy top end!

hope this helps!
Old 25th February 2008
Motown legend

Verified Member
I send a version without peak limiting at a lower average level because that can sound lots punchier.

The level limitations of vinyl are the length of the cut and the ability to track the record. A hot digital level buys you nothing but extra distortion and less impact.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search