The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
anyone using prism sound mea-2 mastering eq?
Old 1st December 2002
Gear Addict

anyone using prism sound mea-2 mastering eq?

i have been using prism sound mla-2 mastering compressor for mixing and mastering. i like it very much and it works very well alongside with crane song stc-8. i have been wondering about the prism sound mea-2 for quite some time but never have a chance to play with it. anyone here has it or used it? i heard people saying the mid eq on the mea-2 is sweet. i know prism sound is more popular in uk than in us. also, what is the current street price on a brand new or used mea-2 eq? i can't really find any dealers who carry it on the net.
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

Horrid. I tried it on everything: 2 mix, bus sends, vocals, horns, drums, bass.... It was worthless on everything. The best word I can use to describe them is "Plastic".
The Enterprise in Burbank tore them out of their racks after a year of no one using them.
Old 2nd December 2002
Gear Addict

aha...i feel a bit strange about how bad mea-2 eq is. i really like my mla-2 comp and never expected their eq will be this bad.

anyway, anymore opinion? people fr. uk or europe?
Old 2nd December 2002
Craneslut

Verified Member
As a 2-buss processor (mastering EQ), it has some fine people using and liking it. Dave Collins and Paul Gold are two guys I know who swear by them...

I'm sure you could call your area distributor and arrange a trial. Prolly worth listening to.
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

It looks good on paper. There's like 100 choosable frequencies, but there are so many better choices out there.
Old 2nd December 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Horrid. I tried it on everything: 2 mix, bus sends, vocals, horns, drums, bass.... It was worthless on everything. The best word I can use to describe them is "Plastic".
The Enterprise in Burbank tore them out of their racks after a year of no one using them.
You know E-cue,

I actually dug it. I thought it had the most comprehensive midrange selsction of any EQ out there. For that alone its worth it. I liked it so much I am actually working on picking one up right now. It will probably replace my GML8200 as my
"vocal polisher/finisher".

That way I can retire my GML8200 to do what its best suited for...snares and Kicks.

I wasn't too crazy about the comp though. If i were mastering I would probably have 4-5 EQ units... a pair of Pultecs for the lows, a Maselec for the mids, maybe some mastering Neumans(modified of course)for presence and highs. A mastering Avalon for color and maybe a Weiss and a Z-sys for the digital stuff.

Haven't tried the Ibis yet Brad, but its definitely on my wish list.
Old 2nd December 2002
Gear Addict

i guess we all have diff. preferences on gears. some people will like it and at the same time some other people will hate it. well, that's cool.

thethrillfactor : you are looking into buying one? new or used? know about the current street price on both new or used one?

i like my 8200 and use it on vocal all the time. 2077 is for my mastering work and main eq on the stereo bus for mixing. 2077 = color? hmm...well, i would not descibe 2077 as "color" eq. oh well, we all have diff. preferences. anyway, the weiss eq1 mk2 is also very nice, a totally diff. animal but it's definitely one of the best digital eq out there.
Old 2nd December 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by nOiz
i guess we all have diff. preferences on gears. some people will like it and at the same time some other people will hate it. well, that's cool.

thethrillfactor : you are looking into buying one? new or used? know about the current street price on both new or used one?

i like my 8200 and use it on vocal all the time. 2077 is for my mastering work and main eq on the stereo bus for mixing. 2077 = color? hmm...well, i would not descibe 2077 as "color" eq. oh well, we all have diff. preferences. anyway, the weiss eq1 mk2 is also very nice, a totally diff. animal but it's definitely one of the best digital eq out there.
Sale price for the Maselec is about $5100-$5300. Here in the states you can get one through Studio Consultants in NYC. Or in England from Funky Junk. Sometimes they will sell you the demo(i think its about $4800).

I think all of the Avalon stuff has a certain tone(as well as GML). My main stereo mix buss EQ when mixing to a digital format is the Massive Passive. When mixing to half inch it was the GML8200. I really want to check out the Ibis and see if it will replace both for this purpose.

I love the Weiss(I've been looking for used one for a while now).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search