The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
L2 THIS!
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Head

L2 THIS!

For those of you that do throw on an L2 plugin here and there at the end of your work, please, can you decribe your settings on it.
I know it all depends on the song itself, the style of the song and whatnot, but please discuss just the basics to where for the most part what do you have it set at or usually set to more times than not to.
What you look for and/or what to avoid.
What L2 settings sound good to you?

Examaple ... Threshold, Ceiling, Release, Bits, Dither, Shaping
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventhsense View Post
For those of you that do throw on an L2 plugin here and there at the end of your work, please, can you decribe your settings on it.
I know it all depends on the song itself, the style of the song and whatnot, but please discuss just the basics to where for the most part what do you have it set at or usually set to more times than not to.

Threshold (depands on the incoming signal), ceiling always on -0,03, release (fastest setting) dither: 16 bit, type 2 ultra.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventhsense View Post

You said it yourself -- It depends on the mix you're working on. There are no "basic" settings. Where do you want it? Do you want to dither using the L2? Where do you want your ceiling to be? Do you want it to bring you down to 16-bits in the first place? Do you LIKE the dithering on the L2? Do you have other options? Are you using it before an additional chain as a gain-boost?
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

Basically, i send all my professional sounding recordings from the main studio out to get Mastered at a professional mastering studio.

Before I get that far, I write, record and produce electronic music and create demos first. Even though they are just demos I still like to polish 'em off a bit by strapping on an L2 afterwards. Lastly the L2 is put on.
On the Master track after everything is done correctly, I'll add an EQ sometimes first than an the L2 plugin. I used to just open the L2, open the setting "16 bit hi rez master" and work the Master fader so it doesnt clip in the red, then I got into the art of acually tweaking and adjusting the L2 to my likeing now.

Its basically used for demos on the Master track last for Gain-boost, limiting, compression, etc.. and also dithering to 16bit to burn CD's.
Sometime I just add an EQ and use the Pow-r dither on the master track and thats it.
I do have the Pow-R dither which I acually think sounds better at times, but thats just perference.

Im a musician, decent recording engineer and mixing guy, but definetly not a Mastering guy.
I was just trying to get an idea of some L2 tips, thats all.
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Head

I would prolly start with an EQ first.
Maybe a stereo Imager afterwards, maybe.

Then ....

Would it possible to have both the L2 (dither OFF) and Pow-r dither plugs back-to-back on the Master Track.
Using the L2 for its Mastering purposes (dither off) and the Pow-r for dithering from 24bit to 16bit to burn cd's?

Or is this a No NO.

I know it all comes down to how it sounds, but is this not really suggested?
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Nut

OMG! What Next?

Favorite Settings for your LA2A???!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not trying to be nasty but come on its only got three sliders on the thing! can't you just use your ears?
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzaB View Post
can't you just use your ears?
What are those? Oh yeah...That guys who makes 660's
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzaB View Post
OMG! What Next?

Favorite Settings for your LA2A???!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not trying to be nasty but come on its only got three sliders on the thing! can't you just use your ears?
ha!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search