The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where do recording studios and labels archive their data? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Where do recording studios and labels archive their data?

I have GB's of original compositions on Hard drives, dvd's, ipod, etc...you name it...I have many back-ups of everything. Also, I am a professional photographer and do the same with my digital files. Where do the pros store away their old hard drives, data, etc. I know of a service called Iron mountain....but there has to be other places. Please chime in
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abery Clark View Post
I have GB's of original compositions on Hard drives, dvd's, ipod, etc...you name it...I have many back-ups of everything. Also, I am a professional photographer and do the same with my digital files. Where do the pros store away their old hard drives, data, etc. I know of a service called Iron mountain....but there has to be other places. Please chime in
You could look into a disaster recovery company like Sungard for offsite data storage, but until you're talking terabytes I don't know that it's cost-effective. How about a safe at your local bank?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
FYI...

HOLLYWOOD VAULTS - RESOURCES
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear

Backup up your recording studios recordings/ and pictures.

Hi, I won't trust Hard drives with moving parts imo are not 100% reliable. I feel safer to burn multiple copies on DVD and store them in a cool dry place out of the light. Also I keep two copies in different locations ie. in case a fire, my brother has a copy.

I've heard of online vaults that charge a premium to store music files with a guarauntee. However if you're talking of uploading terrabytes of info, I think it'd be quicker just to back up using DVDs.

The thing is mould can grow on the media with constant moisture, so keep things dry and out of fire danger.

Peace
Old 15th February 2009
Gear Nut

I use a fireproof safe deposit box at my bank. It's a 3-minute drive from the studio and only costs me $40 a year. I keep all client backups and my own data there in CD/DVD spindles. I can store ~200 discs in it.

I also have duplicate backups on-site if I need to access them on a Sunday or a bank holiday. I keep those in a Sentry fireproof safe.

I recommend this method in case there is a fire at either location, though I'd imagine a bank fire is extremely rare.

- Mike
Old 15th February 2009
Pat
Gear Addict

I keep copies at my bank safe.
Old 15th February 2009
Gear Maniac

I store backups in a 2 TB Lacie external hdd. No problems so far.
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Addict

i have one TB hard drive in the studio with all recent backups and every new work is added to it. then this ist frequently stored to another "final" harddrive. so i have always 2 copies of a backup. as long as my house doesnt burn down this is quite safe. AND i hand out all master formats to my client. i do not give guarantees to my backup files to clients. the backups are just a service that is usefull very often as clients are messy and loose their master or give them away accidently
Old 16th February 2009
pmx
Gear Addict

Verified Member
at the moment i'm using a 1tb fw WD mybook disk as a local backup, and a WD passport disk as a remote backup.

the mybook is there in case the mac's internal disk die, and i make a backup of the projects i worked on today at the end of my day in the studio, and then take the disk home.

long term storage is tricky though with hdd's. i'm currently looking into ssd's or flashdrives. anyone using this or some other non hdd storage medium for archiving?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search