The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve Masterpiece II Channel Strips
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Neve Masterpiece II

Got the very first Neve Masterpiece II today!
Came in 3 boxes (PS, Modules and Main Unit)
The modules are hot swapable and I put them in the order that I'm used to. The screws that were sent did not fit. Weren't long enough. Billy said he'd send more that would. He warned me ahead of time. Didn't have an owner's manuel though I'm pretty familiar with this thing.
The new unit has some unique features from the first, mainly outboard power supply. You can order with no fans also. This thing is dead quiet!
Most of the knobs are detented. Also has an insert where I'll put the Massive Passive and STC-8. This unit also has a side-chain output.
I'll report more when I've has some time with it.

Regards,
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Neve Masterpiece II-mp2.jpg   Neve Masterpiece II-mp3.jpg  
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
wow !!! ... my first sony ..... some nice amps in the back !!!!
enjoy ...

bruce "remember fish are friends no food ........."
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

dang - that looks so good i just about wet my pants!
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Nut

That looks like something I'd be happy to own.

(checks pricing)
(checks bank account balance)

sigh.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Call me shallow, but you lost me at "teal"

Congrats though. Enjoy it!
-dave
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
O'kay... I've played... I mean worked with this thing for 24hr... almost straight! Haven't gotten much sleep.
Anyway.... this thing is VERY deep. Let me first say that just about everything has a HP/mid/LP filter or any combination that you can engage with the effect.

The Peak EQ.. This thing is the best that I've used (IBIS, Massive, NSEQ and GML). It can be surgical OR broad. You can pretty make it sound any way you want it to.

Shelf EQ... I like these the best! Just putting a high shelf on a project and hitting the "Sheen" button.. Magical. To warm a project up, put on a low shelf and hit the "Glow" button. If that's too much... use the Classic section for the low end transformer sound. Every effect can be used on either 1, 2 or all 3 bands!

Tape texture... what can I say that hasn't already been said. This can be used on low/mid/high or a combination of each. Think Portico on steroids. The 9 o'clock position is neutral, below that is like 30ips and above that is a good tape saturation sound.

Aux...this is a H/W insert function that can be used S/C and even has HP, mid and LP input filters. cool! I'll be using a Massive Passive and STC-8 in the insert for a different flavor if needed.

Vari-phase... haven't messed with this too much yet though you can use the input filters for this as well.

Comp. ... clean as a whistle... even at drastic levels of gain reduction. Can also be use as S/C. Can also be used with high/mid/low input filters.

Master... meters can be on input or output side. Also had HP and LP filters that are adj. Has output and input make-up gain OR attenuation controls.

Image controls... Guess everyone has been talking about these. Well let me say, they need to be heard to believed. I showed my wife how you could take a singer and put her in the back of the stage with absolutely no phase problems when you use the Depth function. The Ambience (widening) does get the phase issues at extreme settings. The normal setting is about the 9 o'clock position. Less than that and you can take the room ambience OUT! It' not really touchy at all. I could recall my setting every time.

Master Bypass... just as it says. Even running something though this thing affects the sound in a good way.

I've started loading previous work that I've done just to see how much better I can get these. This is very intuitive. I'm getting much faster and more proficient now. I just need 2 more for surround!!

Regards,
Bruce
Old 11th September 2007
Gearslutz.com admin

What a treat!

But tell me it came with the screws for the top of each module or I wont be able to get to sleep tonight!

Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
What a treat!
But tell me it came with the screws for the top of each module or I wont be able to get to sleep tonight!
You'll have to lose sleep! Screws were too short. I hate that when it happens!
Billy assured me longer ones are on the way.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Changing topics a bit.... DVD-A and SACD Mastering in your signature. Are you doing much of that? I bought a player a few years ago and haven't bought a new disc in a couple of years. I'm really glad at this point I didn't upgrade my studio to accommodate these formats... and I was really close to doing it.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmasters View Post
Changing topics a bit.... DVD-A and SACD Mastering in your signature. Are you doing much of that?
I'm not doing many DVD-A projects now, but DSD/SACD is really keeping me busy. Now that Tascam and Korg have "affordable" units, I'm having to take these 2-track recordings and put them together. I'm having a friend of mine mix them and I do the mastering. About 50% go to SACD and other goes to CD or even hybrid SACD. People are more receptive to DSD now and they can hear the difference. Besides, I don't charge any extra... I use the same equipment regardless.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering View Post
...About 50% go to SACD and other goes to CD or even hybrid SACD.
Bruce
Can't find your credit list anywhere; what are some of the SACD titles you've mastered? Just curious.
Old 12th September 2007
Craneslut

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassmaster View Post
Can't find your credit list anywhere; what are some of the SACD titles you've mastered? Just curious.
Yah Bruce, a list would be cool - I'm gonna grab an SACD player for the studio soon (for fun) and I'm always looking for new stuff.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassmaster View Post
Mostly local stuff for DSD work... Jim Knapp Orchestra, Susan Pascal, Michael Brockman, New Stories, Whitney James, Ben Thomas, Clarence Acox and some compliations on the FIM label. I'm starting a project for Lonnie Mardis now. I wanted to wait until the Masterpiece got here so I could use it on his project. He's got some great mixes. Makes my job that much easier.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 12th September 2007
Jai guru deva om

Nice report, I've always wondered how those boxes would work out and was curious if it would be a nice do all for a studio looking to get into more mastering work...?

War
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Nice report, I've always wondered how those boxes would work out and was curious if it would be a nice do all for a studio looking to get into more mastering work...?
War
If I had to, complimented with some good plugs (Algorithmix and such), no problem. We'll also be using it in our Post room.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 26th April 2008
Gear Addict

Wow!..
Can't wait to get mine..
Good luck with yours Bruce thumbsup.. looks great!

Ciao
FD
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Congratulations!!
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Check thread date.
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowland View Post
Check thread date.
It's just a very belated congratulations. He's been meaning to congratulate him for many years now and finally got around to doing it.
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
It's just a very belated congratulations. He's been meaning to congratulate him for many years now and finally got around to doing it.
At least he doesn't suffer from premature congratulation.

That's the second time I've used that joke this week...
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Funny I often use the line "premature egapulation" when I'm doing the compile!

The King
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Bowden View Post
Funny I often use the line "premature egapulation" when I'm doing the compile!

The King
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Funniest thing I've heard all week heh
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

I'm deeply, deeply jealous (4 years of jealousy actually)
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Maniac

what's the deal for recall?
step pots?
Old 25th January 2011
Nice Gear!!! Congratulatios.
I use Focusrite Blue 230, 330, 300, 315, and i think the 315 eq is too surgical than everyone.

In taste there is nothing written!!!
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by achaiss View Post
what's the deal for recall?
step pots?
Most of the controls on the Masterpiece are on continuously variable pots.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post
Most of the controls on the Masterpiece are on continuously variable pots.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
ah... step is great no?
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by achaiss View Post
ah... step is great no?
Stepped switches are indeed usually what's expected on gear specifically designed for mastering. From my understanding talking with Billy Stull the design decision for pots was to allow it to be kept at a manageable size and price.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Addict

great unit! congratulations!!!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search