The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve Masterpiece II Channel Strips
Old 25th January 2011
arf
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post
Stepped switches are indeed usually what's expected on gear specifically designed for mastering. From my understanding talking with Billy Stull the design decision for pots was to allow it to be kept at a manageable size and price.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Steve,

Most of the controls are stepped on the MP. Freq, boost/cut, compr threshold, ratio are all stepped. Boost and cut are stepped to 1/4dB. The less sensitive Q control is continuous, but that has never been a problem for recall - just note a "clock position." The main gain I/O gain controls are continuous, but this turns out to be an advantage as they can be adjusted to 1/10th dB, something that is not possible in practice with stepped, and they can be matched L/R to 1/10th dB. The gain controls are of such high quality that they do not drift or scratch when set. When I've needed to do a recall with the MP the results have matched perfectly with out issue.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf View Post
Steve,

Most of the controls are stepped on the MP. Freq, boost/cut, compr threshold, ratio are all stepped. Boost and cut are stepped to 1/4dB. The less sensitive Q control is continuous, but that has never been a problem for recall - just note a "clock position."
Alan -
Thanks for the clarification, and my apologies to the board for any misinformation. For some reason I was remembering the eq gain boost controls were continuously variable from when I looked at it at AES a few years back. Is this not true? Guess it shows how fallible the memory can be.

Quote:
The main gain I/O gain controls are continuous, but this turns out to be an advantage as they can be adjusted to 1/10th dB, something that is not possible in practice with stepped, and they can be matched L/R to 1/10th dB.
Just noting that I had continuously variable input gain controls taken out of my similarly Rupert Neve designed Medici. It does limit these to 0.5dB steps - but the side matching is now within 0.01dB.

Quote:
The gain controls are of such high quality that they do not drift or scratch when set. When I've needed to do a recall with the MP the results have matched perfectly with out issue.
I agree that having some continuously variable controls doesn't necessarily mean that they are not useful as mastering tools as I use a couple of boxes with these all the time.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post
I agree that having some continuously variable controls doesn't necessarily mean that they are not useful as mastering tools as I use a couple of boxes with these all the time.
I'm mentally challenged and I just like to limit my choices to few clicks.

However, continuously variable controls can be OK, especially when then range is good and they're not in the signal path. Recall is tougher, obviously. My FCS compressor is full of pots, and while I've thought of making it all stepped, I don't know how much I'd really benefit from it when all I tweak is threshold, ratio and output gain.

The gain would be great, stepped. I might do just that.
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Jensen (and others) uses a standard massive passive... not a mastering "step" one...
He makes great job...

But good to see that MPII has lots of step pots. It's a plus for recall.
And yes, continuous settings are sometimes better feeling than "elma", if they are good built and long run.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search