The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Done with Waves? Where to now? Dynamics Plugins
Old 2nd November 2007
Gear Maniac

Lagerfeldt, do you think that Flux limiter is nearly as good as the oxford?

I used to work with L2. After hearing elephant, I went that way. After hearing Oxford... Its my preferred limiter now. I will try the flux, but I want to know your opinion.
Old 2nd November 2007
Audio Alchemist

Two different beasts.

The Flux Epure Limiter certainly beast the L2 when used correctly.

I use the Oxford Limiter a lot. The attack/enhace options offers interesting possibilities not availble in other limiters. However, it will change and color the sound quite a bit when pushed, of course.

If you wish, the Oxford can be pushed quite hard for loudness: disable Autogain, enable Safe Mode, set a slow attack (try approaching max. slow), fast release (0.20) and push the enhance slightly up (e.g. 20%). Don't look at the GR meter as it won't necessarily show much action, but just use your ears.

Now your basically limiting but also changing the transients and overtones, it'll sound a lot less like regular limiting and more like some kind of limiting+harmonic transient shaping.

I think it takes a bit of experimenting to understand exactly how these parameters affect each other but you'll be rewarded in the end. The Oxford is not exactly a purist plug-in compared to the Flux, as the latter is slightly more neutral overall.

So I would go with the Flux for some jobs, the Oxford for other jobs.
Old 2nd November 2007
Gear Maniac

Hm interesting, Lagerfeldt.

I have found the oxford to be one of the cleanest limiters, when I am not using the enhance function, wich I love, BTW. For me the elephant is definitely colorated, wich is good in some cases. But if I am looking for coloration, I usually reach for specific tools that provide me of that.
What I like most of the oxford is that it can take a beating before sounding bad. However, this comes to a price, an that is, you have to know it veeeeeeeery well, as it has a lot more parameters that your regular limiter. If someone is looking for a super easy to set limiter, I think there are better options. But for sound its great. I will test the flux, when I get the chance, though.

Lagerfeldt, I know you are a lot into the dance music biz. For this specific genre, do you find yourself using a colored limiter frequently because of the character?
Old 2nd November 2007
Audio Alchemist

Enabling the Safe Mode at all in the Oxford changes the sound, so it's not neutral any more. Even with the enhance at 0%.

Is it subjectively pleasing? Yes, often. Neutral, no. In that respect I think the Flux is per definition a bit more neutral.

I think for the most part we shouldn't be too concerned with color as long as it suits the material. There's no such thing as the perfect neutral monitor, no perfect neutral compressor, eq, etc.

Infact the color imparted by a certain piece of gear is what sets it apart, and why we reach for it.

What we need is a not a huge arsenal of gear either but a few options to choose from, so we can get the color and sound we need for the specific task.

That's why I have a SSL clone compressor, a Vari-Mu compressor, and soon an STC-8 compressor too. Three very different beasts.

For dance music I truly find the Oxford excellent because of the way I can control the perceived click/punch in the kick by letting thru some attack and shaping it instead of flattening it.

Of all the limiters I've tested none could do the same, although a combination of regular limiting and clipping (ironically) could something slightly similar.
Old 2nd November 2007
Gear Maniac

When I turn on safe mode I hear a change in the mids in the oxford. However I hear it in a subtle way.

I like the enhance function, however, I feel it can alter the stereo image a bit if overdone, and some elements in the mix lose their focus.

Are we having the same judgement?
Old 3rd November 2007
Gear Addict

Old 3rd November 2007
Gear Maniac

Hm interesting. I dont do it, but I understand your point. However, if I reach the point where a limiter distorts, whatever limiter it is, the dynamics are already lost, so its a no go for me. I still use the L1 or L2 hard on bass, tough, because I feel it generates good harmonics (to a point), and I dont mind driving it to the point where other sounds would get damaged by the same amount of limiting. Just a matter of taste, really.
Old 3rd November 2007
Gear Maniac

Oops forgot. I recently tried the waves L3LL. It sounds very good. A definite piece worth checking. Lagerfeldt, have you used it?
Old 3rd November 2007
Audio Alchemist

Only the L3, which I don't like. It messes with the phase.

Haven't used the L3LL, but I suspect it's the same just with low latency?

I'm looking forward to the Sonalksis multiband/broadband limiter though.
Old 3rd November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplecarnival View Post
If you're on Windows and REALLY on a budget, here's a free limiter that sounds quite good, as long as you use it lightly:

Kjaerhus Audio - Professional Audio Plug-ins

FWIW, I don't know how accurate the meter is on this plug. If you're occasionally flickering the rightmost couple of LEDs, it sounds like a good amount of limiting to my ears.
I use their freeware stuff a lot but the Gold Series is still fairly in expensive and is vastly better than their free stuff. For a killer Comp and EQ I recommend the GCO-1 and GEQ-7
Old 3rd November 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Only the L3, which I don't like. It messes with the phase.

Haven't used the L3LL, but I suspect it's the same just with low latency?

I'm looking forward to the Sonalksis multiband/broadband limiter though.
To my ears, the L3 does screw the phase, too. But The L3LL was a different beast for me. Really impressive. Havent checked the sonalksis multiband. However, I like their green compressor and the EQ is up for some tasks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search