The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Limiter comparisons (with sound) Dynamics Plugins
Old 25th December 2007
x86/x64 Moderator

I can host em again.. pm me..

cheers
Old 2nd January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Seems the mods did slap him around a bit :-)

I'm coming back to the studio on the 2nd of January, and I'll see about the files. They do take up a bit of server space and you'll be amazed how many people download these files (bandwidth)!

Perhaps some kind of alternative server can be arranged.

Meanwhile happy xmas and happy new year!
Happy new year Lagerfeldt,
And wishing everybody lots of dynamics!

Hope you'll be able to get the files online.
Thanks, Bastiaan
Old 2nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Meanwhile happy xmas and happy new year!
Happy New Year 2008!

Great thread, you da man!
Old 2nd January 2008
Yeah lets get that PSP Xenon in there!, I want to hear that up against the Sony
Old 3rd January 2008
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
I can host em again.. pm me..

cheers
Ok great, I have a full session tomorrow and friday is busy except for a couple of hourse mid day, so I hope I'll get them up by then so you can DL them.
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Addict

Sounds good... I'm looking forward to it.

I'm totally in love with in 4x mode, but I'll keep my ears open...

Voxengo dfegadWaves
Old 16th January 2008
Gear Addict

I'd really like to hear the files...
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Overhalen View Post
I'd really like to hear the files...
+ 1
Old 17th January 2008
Audio Alchemist

Coming up, sorry been very busy.
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tGauge View Post
... i would like to be able to contribute to the post a version for everyone to be able to hear the difference...
+1 for hearing the L2007. I'm using it now and would love to hear the difference to the Oxford limiter.
Old 25th January 2008
Cool! very nice Lagerfeldt! thanks for your time doing this!
Old 25th February 2009
Lives for gear

Any idea where some of the AD clipping examples disappeared? Would be interesting to hear some of these again. I think I have the Lavry Blue AD clipping one still somewhere on my HD but cannot be sure.

I remember it being a tad soft and not really transparent but instead really pleasant sounding in it's overall "tone", compared to all the limiters.

Cheers!
bManic
Old 25th February 2009
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Great Thread!! Anyone able to post frequency response graphs so we could compare technically?
Old 28th February 2009
I didn't know there was a petition already ongoing. I PM'd Mr Lagerfeldt for the files as well. :-D
Old 28th February 2009
Audio Alchemist

I'll see where I have the files Monday when I'm back in the studio.
Old 2nd March 2009
Lives for gear

How about the tc 6000 md3 or md4 limiter?
Old 2nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It would be great to have TC MD3, PSP Xenon and Massey L2007 tested.

I myself have been using Xenon and MD3 combined and it has provided me nice results.

MD4 is stricted to the hardware M6000.
Old 19th March 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I found the PSP Xenon a bit of a snare vampire, especially in either one of the two lookahead modes!
The non-lookahead mode is better but it will start to distort pretty early.
Old 19th March 2009
pmx
Gear Addict

Verified Member
i can make some samples of the l2007, md3 and kjaerhus if i can get the original master...
Old 22nd March 2009
I've offered to host the files. Just waiting for Holger to upload the files, he had a hard time looking for the files AND of course, he must be very busy too.
Old 22nd March 2009
Audio Alchemist

Heh heh, sorry. I don't have the files at home where I normally have time to do these things, so I need to make a mental note when I'm in the studio.

The files are packed in a huge zip file. I believe you sent me the FTP info, so I'll upload them Monday. Do send me a reminder PM or email.
Old 25th March 2009
Holger came through with the upload!

get it now Limiter comparisons - ZIP 322 MB

let's see how my server holds up.

Thanks again Mr. Lagerfeldt
Old 25th March 2009
Gear Nut

i´m uploading now the massey file for lagerfeldt to check...

cheers
Old 25th March 2009
Audio Alchemist

Sorry, I don't have time but I'm sure someone else can take over this thread. There seems to be plenty of interest in it still :-)
Old 25th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisha31 View Post
What about the Roger Nichols Elemental plugs. what does anybody feel about the limiter that comes with those plugs.
I used to use Finis back in the Elemental Audio days and quite liked it, but I bailed on EA and deleted their plug-ins over the whole RND buy-out fiasco.

My search for an easy-to-use, much more transparent replacement ended with Ozone 3. thumbsup

I think there's an Ozone 4 now - maybe a good thing just got even better and we should test this out so as to keep this thread the excellent reference it has become.
Old 28th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
This requires a bit of practice and good monitoring of course.

Try first listening to one file at a time from start to finish.

Then try aligning them all in a DAW and switch between them listening for transient response (peaks, attack times, notice that loss of transients leads to a slightly dull high end, and clipped transients can lead to harsh top end).

Listen for overall type and quality of sound, distortion (usually caused by release times), stereo perspective (caused by linked or unlinked L/R and other factors), volume vs. punch, etc.

A good trick is to first focus on overall sound, then focus on individual elements (such as the click in the kick drum) and then go back in focus to the overall picture. All the time switching back and forth between versions.

Hope that helps.
Sonnox is a brilliant tool! Safe mode can get a bit intense though
Old 28th March 2009
Audio Alchemist

Yes, I agree.

I think it should be used more for effect than actual loudness. It works well in some cases but it does add distortion.

It won't work well in combination with the Inflator as a means of achieving extra loudness but if you do, then put the Inflator first in the chain.
Old 28th March 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
Just as the comparison to 'push one button' is off. It's silly to compare with exact same settings in limiting!. Just like eq's sound totally different at same gain/freq/q values, compressors sound very different with identicle attack and release times, so the same holds with limiters.

Thats why the best way to compare is not have them all set to the same settings, but instead using ones ears and finding the 'optimum' setting for each limiter seperately. Thats the way to judge it.

Granted what constitutes 'best' sounding is subjective, but thats the same even when comparing with identicle settings.

Because Ozone 3 uses this 'intelligence' mode with a slider that affects the response in a non attack/release specific control way should that be rulled out too?. Of course not, because it does a fantastic job.

To me the 'only compare exact settings or tools with exactly the same ranges (even though they still wont be 'exact')' is silly.

If one truly wants to work precisely having control over every parameter, then one must accept that each limiter has its own distinctive sound and processing methods and should be mastered in its own quirky way and not to just blindly assume that because one limiter doesn't have the same say release time range, that it can't do as good a job.

Ears > specs on paper every time in my book
I rate this response. I'm yet to see a thread that claims rigorous testing that truly deals with this. There was a stereo imaging thread around here which had the same downfall.

With the utmost respect to lager- setting the same settings and uploading the various samples isn't always so great- they are all coded differently with slightly different design intentions.

Also- testing limiters at their extremes is all well and good but... Then other variables emerge once you get outside the theory dome. Radio orbans? Home Speakers? Myspace encoding....

Thread is awesome- I've learnt alot- but I think it needs to be taken in context and not in a lets-pick-a-winner basis.
Old 28th March 2009
kjg
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurveillanceP View Post
With the utmost respect to lager- setting the same settings and uploading the various samples isn't always so great- they are all coded differently with slightly different design intentions.
Well, with utmost respect... maybe you should read Lagerfeldt's first post.
The limiters were not compared at the same settings, but at the same RMS.
Old 28th March 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurveillanceP View Post
I'm yet to see a thread that claims rigorous testing that truly deals with this.
Limiters and Bass Intermodulation Distortion

TW

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search