The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
False positives with Plextools Dynamics Plugins
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Head

False positives with Plextools

I'm leaving for the States tomorrow and have two jobs I need to burn and check. I have a Plextor PX755 and a top-of-the line Pioneer DVD writer. Anyway all of a sudden I'm getting C2 and even CU errors on everything I burn. I've tried three different spindles of TY silvers, on both different drives, burning out of Samplitude and Nero, and I've had two discs out of about 30 that have been C2 error free - and many of them have C2 and CU error spikes off the chart in Plextools. Anyway I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience of Plextools finding errors where there are none, or is this unheard of and should I be looking elsewhere for a solution.

Also sometimes when I start Plextools it says that it can't find any hardware, which makes me think the drive is crapping out and giving invalid test results.

Thanks, cheers
Matthew
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
really powerdown you're comp .. unplug the power-cord .. re-install plextools ....
but i thnk you've got a prob.

the dvd-writer is no cd-writer ????? burn on that drive ..

do they play-back ... or are they not recognized by a normal audio-cd player ..

good-luck

my plextor died on me 2 months ago ... I bought 2 new !!!!
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Are you sure your HD isn't fragmented? I had that on one project - gave me bursts of C2 on TY media twice. That time I burned at a lower speed since I was in a hurry (came out OK) and de-fragged. That did the trick.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Head

Hey, I've tried burning on the Pioneer, which is in my mastering machine, and on the Plextor, which is in the production room - so different drives, different computers, different hard drives - and both are giving errors all the time. Plextools seems to be unable to find the Plextor drive now (after a power-down and reinstall), although it seems to be working fine for normal reading, so I think that part of the drive must have died. All the discs, even the ones that came back with horrendous (thousands of CU) error reports play back fine. I will defrag anyway - thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks, cheers
Matthew
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
If I've had my computer on for a while (like more than a day) I find that I have to rescan devices in Plextools on one PC but otherwise I've not noticed Plextools giving any false error indications.

I would be tempted to try testing the disc on a different drive. While you need a Premium to be able to test for C1 errors, many drives will flag C2 errors which you can test with Nero's Drive Speed. If Drive Speed comes up with an all clear (assuming you have a suitable drive) then you are probably OK - after all, in the old days before Plextools came along, that's the only testing that many of us could do.

Cheers

James.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search