The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
STC-8 vs. STC-8/H vs. STC-8/M Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 16th October 2007
Audio Alchemist

Can you upgrade from H to M?

I think I will get my Crane Song in January or February 2008 when my studio has been re-built.
Old 16th October 2007
Gear Maniac

I've noticed that some music retailers have standard STC-8's in stock, which says to me that Cranesong probably made limited runs (as opposed to building them one by one as orders come in) of the base units and possibly even have some extra units on hand for immediate shipment. Our new STC8-H (arrived last week) took nearly 3 months to get, which makes me guess that there's more involved than putting 2 new switches into the stock model. I know they are a pretty small operation anc could be completely wrong here, but I'll bet they can't just upgrade to the mastering version without making some (no doubt expensive) changes to upgrade all pots to stepped switches.

Guess I could pop open the hood to see how much spare room there is...and what the difference is between the stepped switches and regular knobs.
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I went with the M version, it' definately nice to have for recalling sessions later in a mastering setup.

And Holger, if you're running a studio and have a VAT number, you'll deduct it anyway so the actual price will be US$ * 5.2 (or whatever the DKR is at now).

Definately a good time to buy American !

Cheers,
Thor
--
Sonovo mastering
www.sonovo.no
Old 19th October 2007
Here for the gear

Holger you are about to become leading in mastering in DK AND you have the $ Buy The M. I know you and the joy of saving 1000$ will go away LONG before the bump feeling of not having the top model ment for mastering.

..og Klaus og jeg vil drille dig med din lille kompressor hver gang vi ses.
Old 19th October 2007
Audio Alchemist

Right :-)

I might have to go for the M version or I'll regret it later.

I don't do a lot of recalling as most clients are satisfied first time. However, on larger projects e.g. 12+ tracks. I might go back and adjust some tracks, and then recalling is important.
Old 19th October 2007
Craneslut

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Right :-)

I might have to go for the M version or I'll regret it later.

I don't do a lot of recalling as most clients are satisfied first time. However, on larger projects e.g. 12+ tracks. I might go back and adjust some tracks, and then recalling is important.
To me, recalling is way more important for when the laebl calls up and needs the vocup mastered for radio, etc. It's not about revising, it's about (initially) getting the exact same sound with a different track version.
Old 21st October 2007
Audio Alchemist

Right, that would the perfect situation. However, on big projects I might do a revision for some reason when I didn't feel I nailed it first time around but it's just one factor that need adjustment.
Old 21st October 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionaut View Post
I've noticed that some music retailers have standard STC-8's in stock, which says to me that Cranesong probably made limited runs (as opposed to building them one by one as orders come in) of the base units and possibly even have some extra units on hand for immediate shipment. Our new STC8-H (arrived last week) took nearly 3 months to get, which makes me guess that there's more involved than putting 2 new switches into the stock model. I know they are a pretty small operation anc could be completely wrong here, but I'll bet they can't just upgrade to the mastering version without making some (no doubt expensive) changes to upgrade all pots to stepped switches.

Guess I could pop open the hood to see how much spare room there is...and what the difference is between the stepped switches and regular knobs.
My STC-8M also took a few months to get. I was told they're built to order.
Old 21st October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbreak Music View Post
My STC-8M also took a few months to get. I was told they're built to order.
Mine took a couple of months as well. Worth the wait though. Nice box.
Old 22nd October 2007
Audio Alchemist

OK thanks for the info. If I'm getting it in January I'd better order it soon then.
Old 15th December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
OK thanks for the info. If I'm getting it in January I'd better order it soon then.
Lagerfeldt, what did you end up getting, H or M? Are you still very happy with the STC-8 ?
Old 16th December 2011
Gear Maniac

I love when these five year old threads come back from the grave.
I'll bite. The detented controls on these things are GREAT. I have a number of other company's boxes I would love to retrofit with these controls. They are not real switches but they track extremely well and feel great.

I've only ever worked with the /M, but my hunch is that the /H would be very workable. I think I'd miss the detented threshold the most.

Great compressor, whatever you spend on it you won't regret.
Old 16th December 2011
Lives for gear

it was my third analog hardware and it took me a while to find how it is sounds best in my chain....well what can I say, I nearly use it every day since the purchase, although in a very subtle way...I love the clarity of the stc 8 and often use it in non linked mode because it opens up the stereo image nicely...I use the masteringversion and I think it´s very well manufactured....for a while I thought about selling it, because I needed money for new gear and had the idea that since I use it mainly with the same settings, that I could live without it, but when I switched it off something was def. lacking....so now I´m glad I couldn´t find a buyer quickly... I think it´s here to stay
Old 18th December 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It is a very cool product.
However, since I use the standard version, there is some problem matching both output gain knobs.

I have to keep left channel at 5.0 and right channel at 5.4.

It is a drag sometimes.

Crane gear is very solid, sounds great. Ibis and Hedd 192 are the perfect trio with the STC8, besides my Ocl2.
Old 18th December 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I Like the box. I have the H...however I don't like the small detents.
Ed
Old 18th December 2011
Hi Alécio and others.. I just bought the H. Thanks for the vote of confidence!
Old 19th December 2011
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiokid View Post
Lagerfeldt, what did you end up getting, H or M? Are you still very happy with the STC-8 ?
/M(astering) version.

I think I could have gotten the /H version as well.

I love the STC-8, but I did have some issues with the design of the pots. All fixed now though.
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
:)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search