The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Green Tune CD-R Modular Synthesizers
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Green Tune CD-R

Has anyone used these Green Tune Mastering CD-Rs ? I was sent 4 samples from RMGI. Planning to burn at 8x and 16x and compare to TY at the same speeds. Any other ideas for testing the other 2?
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Looks interesting Brian.

For many years we used Verbatim "Blue AZO" formula discs with great results.

Be curious to see how these test on Plextools vs TY.

JT
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
For many years we used Verbatim "Blue AZO" formula discs with great results.

Be curious to see how these test on Plextools vs TY.
That's the plan. Do you really think that a few less errors will be audible? TY are already very low.

Can you think of any other tests besides comparing 8x and 16x?
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Head

Brian, if you have Plextools you can try the 'write transfer test' to see if the discs will be ok with burning at those speeds.

You can also try the 'FE/TE test' & compare the results to your Taiyos prior to burning.

The 2nd test will show if the discs are duds.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
Do you really think that a few less errors will be audible?
No. If it's within spec there shouldn't be any audible diff.

JT
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Bob View Post
You can also try the 'FE/TE test' & compare the results to your Taiyos prior to burning.

The 2nd test will show if the discs are duds.

Hope this helps.

Bob

How subtle is FE/TE as a pre-burn test? Is it simply a "dud" meter, or are there shades of grey?
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Head

IMO it's more a case of 'shades of grey' than a dud meter & to be honest I rarely do it unless I have a new brand of CDR to test or if I'm making a cup of tea & have a few minutes to spare.

Although it will tell you immediately how your discs compare with the Taiyo Yudens.

Here's a couple of quick tests I done (forgot to make the tea though!)
1st is the dud, 2nd is the Taiyo

Green Tune CD-R-dud.jpg

Green Tune CD-R-taiyo.jpg
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I did some fairly extensive testing on several discs with the RMG guys in the room some months ago on these (assuming they're the same, "mottled" green discs).

They were good. Not stellar, but really good BLER tests. Left in the sun for days, face up, down, hanging from a rear-view mirror, no changes. Seemed very durable.

No audible difference from other discs in case anyone was going to ask. Did a rip - A/B null with two of the people on the design team in the room with a perfect null from a TY disc. Although for the record, the RMG disc was burn-side-up for four days in direct sunlight and the TY was fresh from the burner.

Not surprised by anything - But seemingly a very "hearty" disc.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Those are the ones ... direct sun test was a good idea. Are you going with them now?
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I think I'm going to order a box and mess with 'em for a while. I'm pretty happy with TY's (which had basically the same results in the direct sun test also). I'm more interested in their long-term archival quality than anything else.

And believe me... I was *trying* to find a solid advantage to the RMG's while those guys were here. Thought I had one at one point (a NON perfect null) but I wound up flipping a switch or something and corrected it - Back to a perfect null.

The part that impressed me most was the balance -- You know how you might ramp a disc up to speed and hear the drive "flutter" temporarily -- Not with those. I'm *assuming* that semi-viscous "splatter" on the surface is sprayed on during a spin. If so, that could explain the impressive balance. And that's certainly not a bad thing. But TY's WaterShield seems to benefit from the same process.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search