The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Current situation with Sontec
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

Current situation with Sontec

OK - For the last 8 years or so I've been reading and hearing a lot about Sontec EQ's - their sound, reliability, quality and availability of service, Op Amp Cards and of course Burgess being hard to reach, then being gone and finally being back again.

Especially since he's 'back' there has been a lot of confusing information on the web. As much as I tried - there seems to be no current website, no adress, no email, no telephone - no contact information available to the public. I know that I could PM Brad, and there seem to be ways to contact Burgess and get some spare OpAmp - but, is this actually something official? Does he do this as a business or just because he's a nice guy?

Why is it still so hard to get the necessary information, now that he is 'back'?

So I'd like to hear about hard facts:
Is Sontec as a company back in business? Is Sontec still the name of the company - or has it changed? Does Burgess run this or any company or has a shop setup somewhere at the moment?
If there is such a company or shop, what are their offerings - service? spare parts? products?
Where are they located and how can they be reached?
And finally - is there any truth to the roumor that at some point there will be new EQ's available?

As I said, I'd like to hear/read facts, there has been enough rumours, speculation and hearsay already.
Old 4th September 2007
I've made some researchs,
Sontec company still registered in virginia,
but no more infos,
get Burgess phone and call him !
it'd be the best way !

i guess you're interested in Brad's 432C9 (me too and we're not the only ones)
but worry about the fact that Burgess MacNeal will release a new Sontec ,
he's doing again some H1000 and H2000 why not a whole eq ?
even if it's not exactly the same... it's not good at all for the future value of a 12500$ purchase ... (even at 10k$ !)

and if it's just for the sound, the schematics of the 430 are available, now that the H1/2000 are availble too, it might be possible to diy one... for much cheaper... even with those expensive shalco switches
Old 4th September 2007
Craneslut

Verified Member
Burgess is back repairing modules and EQ's, and he's building new op-amps - the rest is up in the air for now. Sorry, wish there was more info, but right now, there just isn't - he has to get everything figured out before he knows what he will be doing. I think we just have to give him some time to determine if he wants to get back into this and at what capacity. I do think we'll be seeing more from him in the future, but am not sure what it will be, if it will be under the same name or another, etc.

FYI, the Sontec schematics on the web are incorrect according to Burgess.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Another source that we've used for Sontec repairs and parts is Chris Muth of Dangerous Music fame. He's worked on a couple of our Sontecs and he knows them pretty well. His email is [email protected] .... just in case you need a second source.
Old 4th September 2007
thanks pelliot

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search