The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What kind of glue do you use? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

What kind of glue do you use?

Im wondering how you guys make your tracks sound unified or together as far as compressors for glueing or any other tricks you use for this effect.

I,m thinking of getting the Uad 33609 Neve compressor for a good gluing effect, what are your thoughts on this compressor?

It really seems to make a recording sound more professional and even when using bus compressors in this way. Has anybody tried PSP vintage warmer for glueing I dont know if it would be considered glueing or tape saturation, but I like the way it sounds.
Old 3rd September 2007
I been using 33609C real unit, great Comp awsome colour in the Mix world .
Old 3rd September 2007
CKK
Lives for gear

I'm using a Gyratec X for bas/drumbus and a Gyratec III on the master.

I dont have to do much of comp. just passing thru the units are often enough.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I hate the word glue as it relates to audio. IMHO there is no such thing.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

IMHO there is.

Jakob E.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Bearing in mind that one person's glue may be another person's clag*...
I find that extra "magic" to be more a case of transformer character and/or tubes and/or compression as needed.
Certainly if you've got your ears trained for compression for the sake of its sound rather than for loudness then you're on the right track.

*non-toxic, water-based paste used in pre schools here, incase the term is unfamiliar...
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

GORilla Glue
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Super Glue

But seriously depending on application another compressor does the job. In most cases TubeTech SMC2B does the best job.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post
IMHO there is.

Jakob E.
Is it tape?
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Whatever you call it, there are several steps which help me in this aspect. But most importantly with gentle compression/EQ/limiting small steps of "improvement" are possible to make which result in a mix which sounds more ""glued".

If you want to stay ITB, then Parallel Compression can be very handy. The mix functions in the PSP Mastering Comp en Voxengo Marquis are very handy for this. I don't fancy the Vintage Warmer, but the idea would work there too. Haven't tried the Neve bundle yet, but it could work nicely if you find a handy way to implement it the processor in a parallel path (without latency).

If you go analog then there are lots of options, most of which cost a lot of money, haha. I have a custom (high voltage) tube path with a dozen tubes and lots of audio transformers which I mix in parallel to the original track. This works great for glue and gentle distortion for me. Mmmhhh gentle distortion sounds weird, but it works great for rock/metal. This parallel path can really add body and thickness to a track.

Besides that I use several vintage pieces of studio gear with audio transformers which can be switched in the signalpath to add their character. This is something which I can't recreate with compression/EQ/limiting.

Maarten
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

for the glue : Manley Vari-MU

a classic, but it gives a perfect glue.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear
i thought "glue" was from using an outboard console.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Mix elements seem to sit together a bit better when the mix is printed to tape. But a touch of the limiter feedback control on the new Requisite L2M mk. III is the closest thing I've heard to that effect apart from tape.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search